Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108140 - 02/14/01 04:41 PM O.P. Catch & Release -- Letters Needed
Sinktip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
As many of you are aware, the Puget Sound river closures will soon result in a mass exodus of anglers to the Olympic Penninsula. This increase can only negatively impact the wild stocks on the O.P. rivers. The Wild Steelhead Coalition is sponsoring a campaign to pressure the WDFW Commission to adopt a catch and release emergency season on these rivers. Please take the time to e-mail or write the commission and support this action.

Please e-mail your request to commission@dfw.wa.gov , fax it to 360 902-2448 or mail via snail mail to WDFW Commission, 600 Capitol Way N., Olympia, WA 98501-1091

Included below is a draft letter to use as a guide. Please use you own words as individual letters carry more weight than a form one.

Dear WDFW Commission Members,

Due to the closure of the North Puget Sound rivers for spring catch and release steelheading, it is predicted that the Olympic Peninsula rivers will see a dramatic increase in fishing pressure. Such increases in pressure will negatively impact the health of the wild steelhead stocks in these rivers.

I am writing to encourage you to consider and approve, and the Department of Fish and Wildlife to implement an emergency Selective Fishery Season on the Olympic Peninsula. This Selective Fishery Season would require "catch-and-release only," selective gear rules from March 1 to April 30, 2001.

The Olympic rivers that will experience inordinate fishing pressure from anglers displaced from Puget Sound waters include: the Quillayute River System (Bogachiel, Calawah, Dickey, Sol Duc and Quillayute); and the Hoh, Queets, Clearwater, upper Quinalt and Humptulips Rivers.

In the past, Washington has enjoyed world-class steelheading. The current management focus on harvest has helped reduce these fisheries to shadows of their former selves. Please take action now to stop this decline and move towards rebuilding the great legacy of steelhead in Washington rivers. I appreciate your consideration and action regarding this proposal.

Sincerely,
(Your Name)
(Your Address)

[This message has been edited by Sinktip (edited 02-14-2001).]

#108141 - 02/14/01 08:43 PM Re: O.P. Catch & Release -- Letters Needed
Chrome454 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Drifting Down The Braids Of Sw...
This is a very good idea, we should all do this!

#108142 - 02/14/01 08:50 PM Re: O.P. Catch & Release -- Letters Needed
Raptorwill Offline
Fry

Loc: poulsbo, wash ...
should include the Hoko and the Sekiu also

will write a letter or email but ill also include these two tribs

#108143 - 02/14/01 08:55 PM Re: O.P. Catch & Release -- Letters Needed
Raptorwill Offline
Fry

Loc: poulsbo, wash ...
brain fart----------what rivers in the north are gettin the early closer?-----------ive tried the duckabush and the dosewallips---which my dad used to fish back in the late 70's -------and havent heard of any caught or did I Just wonderin ---will there be any more pressure up on the quil system ----have had a bad time finden fish in that direction also--and have logged in 150 hrs of time on those upper rivers since before thanksgiven

#108144 - 02/15/01 03:04 AM Re: O.P. Catch & Release -- Letters Needed
ctflyfish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: ridgefield wa. usa
Sink, you are absolutely correct. WDF&W, in the words of Mr. Bob Gibbons, continues to insist that there are huge amounts of "excess' wild fish available on the OP rivers which may die of old age or something unless they are harvested. For my part, I could see this coming and have not fished the Forks area at all this year. Imagine the impact on the folks on the Forks economy when fish crash, as they surely will. I fish full time and buy licenses in about 5 states and two countries per year. I am seriously considering not buying a Washngton license next year -my home state.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cameron D., FlyingFish, NEfishLdo, shinnecock1
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 850 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645421 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |