Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108309 - 02/19/01 01:04 AM New rules not yet in effect ? Fisheries enforcement
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA , USA
After hearing public testimony in December on a package of sport fishing regulation changes, the commission also set specific fishing seasons on a variety of fisheries around the state and adopted new regulations that:

Allow boat anglers in areas where a saltwater license is valid to continue using fishing or shellfishing gear until every legal fisher on board has a daily limit.

These rules were posted on the WDFW web site and seem to be rules that went into effect as soon as they "adopted" them, but if they are not yet law.....they should post that also.

On Saturday we were all checked at Port Townsend (on the water) and all of us with a salmon on board were told that the person who bagged the fish had to take his gear out of the water. When the fisheries officer was told about the new regulation, all he would say was, I haven't seen a note about it yet, so the old rule stands. At least he did not give any of us a ticket. I must add that the gentleman and lady officer were very cordial with my boat and just asked us to pull one rig as we were trolling and I just swung my barbless gear to him, while still trolling the rest of the gear.

If there are any officers out there please give us a clear picture about how to read these changes as current law or not.

Thanks.

------------------
Steve Ng....The FishNg1
99 F-350 Powerstroke 4x4 , 18ft Alumaweld Formula Vee Sled, 115 Yamaha, and now also Campion 215 walkaround, 135 Merc.

Dad, think that if I practice hard, they'll let me participate in the SRC ?
[Gig Harbor Puget Sound Anglers....Join your local chapter. CCA member

#108310 - 02/19/01 01:36 AM Re: New rules not yet in effect ? Fisheries enforcement
steely Offline
Parr

On the WDF Website the Boat Limit Rule is included in their "Concise Explanatory Statement" and from the following text sounds like it doesn't go into effect until May 1 since they don't have an emergency order shown to override.

The "Concise Explanatory Statement" lists the
changes to sportfishing rules that were
adopted by the Fish and Wildlife Commission
at their February meeting. Unless they are
put in place earlier by an emergency
rule, these changes will take effect May 1,
2001, and will be listed in the
2001-2002 fishing pamphlet, available on May

#108311 - 02/20/01 03:27 PM Re: New rules not yet in effect ? Fisheries enforcement
Dan Cody Offline
Alevin

Loc: Olympia
I also have the news release that the department had on their web site in hand. It doesn't state when the regulation takes effect. It does state that the new boat limit rule was "adopted".

I have been in a couple of meetings with WDFW where this was discussed. It seems that it is an enforcement issue. Many sports fishermen on individual boats continue to troll gear after they have caught their blackmouth/king. In many instances this could be justified because the limit was two fish of which one could be a king. This meant that you could continue to fish for silvers. Most sportsfishermen that I know would pull their rods once they fulfilled their daily limit of one king and one silver or two silvers.

The biggest offenders of the original ordinance have been the Charter Boat fleet. The charters typically encouraged all fishers to continue fishing until the boat limit had been attained. According to WDFW, this was an enforcement nightmare. (How I will never understand! Has anyone ever been on or seen a charter get boarded by WDFW?) They adopted the rule to make a commonplace deviation from the regulations legal.

Another regulation change that has been adopted is a change to the possession limit. Sportsfishers (areas 1-6) can now only posess "in fresh form", on board their vessel, one days legal catch limit of a sportsfish species for each legal angler. I have been told that fish must be processed to not be considered fresh. (canned, smoked, frozen)

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Tug 3, Carcassman), 184 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |