THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109134 - 03/05/01 01:47 PM Skykomish chinook fishery still a possibility!!!
fishskagit.com Offline
Alevin

Loc: Lyman, Wa Skagit county
This is to inform all interested anglers about a North of Falcon meeting at the WDFW Mill Creek office @ 7pm on Thursday March 8. At this meeting the department will be presenting information and taking public comments regarding upcoming salmon fisheries.
One item of interest to local anglers is a possible chinook fishery in June and July on the Skykomish. If we get enough people to make some noise at this meeting we have a real shot at getting this fishery!
I hope that at least a few of you can make it.
See you there?

#109135 - 03/05/01 04:46 PM Re: Skykomish chinook fishery still a possibility!!!
flyfisher1066 Offline
Smolt

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
I don't know, think about how badly we really want this, considering the plight of the Chinook in Puget Sound rivers in recent years. My two cents is to keep up the protection. I keep thinking of the snaggers I saw up in the Sultan and Wallace Rivers pestering those lonely chinook last summer. It makes me want to give them a break.

#109136 - 03/05/01 05:59 PM Re: Skykomish chinook fishery still a possibility!!!
fishskagit.com Offline
Alevin

Yo, Flyfisher. This fishery would be for hatchery chinook only. As it is now while we're summer-run fishing we have to release fin-clipped chinook. These are fish which are excess to the hatchery's needs. It's simply a better use of the resource that selling them for cat food. For the fishery to be approved it would run for only a short period of time to minimize impact on ESA-listed stocks.

#109137 - 03/05/01 09:19 PM Re: Skykomish chinook fishery still a possibility!!!
Cascade Bob Offline
Parr

Loc: Lake Stevens, WA. U.S.A.
Kreamer has alredy sent in his recomendation for a 7 week fishery on the Sky. June to July. Expecting 2000 to 2200 fish above the quota needed. He thinks there will not be a large number of fisherman targeting these fish. I disagree. What do you think? Good Fishin` but Save the Nates. Bob H.

#109138 - 03/05/01 11:23 PM Re: Skykomish chinook fishery still a possibility!!!
bank walker Offline
Spawner

As awsome as this sounds, just think about the crowds and the sleds buzzing back and forth. I think its great that we possibly have an oppurtunity to fish for these great fish, BUT i think when you calculate all the pressure, less fish will be caught.

If the Skagit, Main Stilly, and a couple other rivers where also open, than it would spread out the pressure and offer a great summer run/king fishery for everyone.

I dont see how this adds up guys. Turning the Sky into a Zoo during summer run time would just plain suck.

2000-2200 extra kings is an incredible increase from just a few years ago!! Hey, something is going right =)

- BW

P.S. What about a bank fishing only June/July, to keep the river from becoming a freeway. I can picture Cracker Bar now with 20-30 boats on a saturday lined up along the dike =/
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#109139 - 03/05/01 11:31 PM Re: Skykomish chinook fishery still a possibility!!!
Vic Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa, USA
Cascade Bob

It would be awesome to get a King fishery so close to home. You are right a ton would be excited about it and it would be a ZOO out there.

The question I have is will the Tulalips get a net fishery? If they do how many Wild Kings will be killed?

#109140 - 03/05/01 11:43 PM Re: Skykomish chinook fishery still a possibility!!!
okieboy Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Rockport Wa
that would be crazy think of all the wild fish that would be mishandled in the process i know you dont want 6000 boats jettin up and down the river think about how fun it is just to release them would you want all the exta people just so you could knock a few of them out

#109141 - 03/05/01 11:45 PM Re: Skykomish chinook fishery still a possibility!!!
chumkiller Offline
Parr

Loc: snohomish
This would be totally awsome. If it happens I would imagine that to minimize the impact on the wild fish the fishery will most likely be restricted to the area around the Wallace if not in the Wallace only. The Tulalips should'nt be to interested in this as they have their own hatchery fish to target. Also they haven't had a targeted chinook fishery in the Snohomish for almost two decades. They get all the fish they need at their hatchery. That is why we have the bubble targeting their surplus fish.

#109142 - 03/06/01 12:52 AM Re: Skykomish chinook fishery still a possibility!!!
Cascade Bob Offline
Parr

Loc: Lake Stevens, WA. U.S.A.
My question is, why give us this fishery now, when you`ve kept it away from us since 1987? Right after you take away our spring C&R? I will ask these Q`s on thurs. Bob H.

#109143 - 03/06/01 09:29 AM Re: Skykomish chinook fishery still a possibility!!!
fishskagit.com Offline
Alevin

Why give us this fishery?
Why try to increase our opportunity?
Are not these the reasons many are miffed over the C&R closure?
I guess I don't understand where your coming from Bob.
It's a numbers game. there are enough surplus hatchery fish to support a directed fishery.
I'm suprised that the utilization of hatchery fish sparked such a debate.

#109144 - 03/06/01 11:25 AM Re: Skykomish chinook fishery still a possibility!!!
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA

#109145 - 03/06/01 11:44 AM Re: Skykomish chinook fishery still a possibility!!!
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
I think this is a really bad idea. Keep the hordes on the Icicle. The Sky doesn't need an extra 100 sleds or more on it during the summer!

Why not just open the tidewater area instead for 7 weeks from I-5 down to the salt.

Keep your hooks sharp!

Bobber Down

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#109146 - 03/06/01 12:29 PM Re: Skykomish chinook fishery still a possibility!!!
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
I would love to see a summer King fishery cose to home. Don't know what you guys are talkin about as far as abuse that is goin to be any more harmfull that the lack of respect I see every year when guy fishin for pinks hook into a Kings. Its to bad a few bad apples can ruin it for all of us even in our own minds.

Tight lines

Kevin

#109147 - 03/06/01 02:29 PM Re: Skykomish chinook fishery still a possibility!!!
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA
Bobber Down, from what I have heard and read, hooking mortality increases significantly the closer to the estuary you get. The adults are very fragile when going through the change from salt water to fresh. Once they get up the river a ways and get acclimated to fresh water hooking mortality goes down. Plus the target fish are from the Wallace Hatchery, a trib of the Skykomish therefore the fishery should be in the Skykomish that way no Snoqualmie fish would be taken.

Beezer

#109148 - 03/06/01 03:56 PM Re: Skykomish chinook fishery still a possibility!!!
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
Good points breezer, shot my comments off the hip, didn't think about the Snoqualmie interception.

Truthfully, I could see a strong attendence on the opener, if the Sky did open, but the meat fishermen would soon be discouraged because I'm sure the catch ratios wouldn't be all that great. In my opinion, the Sky, in the summer, is not exactly hot for kings (especially from the bank) and quite often they get lock jaw, thus all the snagging.

Keep your hooks sharp!

Bobber Down

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#109149 - 03/06/01 04:47 PM Re: Skykomish chinook fishery still a possibility!!!
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
I'm with Cascade Bob on this one! Sounds like a paltry appeasement, giving a handful of sled pilots an open fishery after stripping a handful of sportsmen of C&R fishing this spring. Smells fishy, and not in a good way either!

Hey Beezer,
That's an interesting point you bring up regarding mortality and proximity to salt. It might make sense but I'm interested where you'd read or heard of it. Any science behind it or just anecdotal; just curious.

#109150 - 03/06/01 05:04 PM Re: Skykomish chinook fishery still a possibility!!!
skyrise Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: snohomish, wa
Sounds bad to me, I vote a NO on this one!

#109151 - 03/06/01 06:22 PM Re: Skykomish chinook fishery still a possibility!!!
Vic Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa, USA
I can't believe that some of you guys aren't excited about having a decent king fishery so close to home. This may be a ploy by the State to sell some extra licenses, but who cares!!! It's a chance to go fishing!!! Who cares how many guys are out there. Sounds like the State is finaly giving something back. I for one am excited!!!

#109152 - 03/06/01 06:29 PM Re: Skykomish chinook fishery still a possibility!!!
obsessed Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
Keep the fishery closed?? Think about it, if this fishery is not opened to sporties, why keep the hatchery running. They've operated this hatchery for years, but have never had a fishery. The only beneficiaries are the intercept commercial and recreational fisheries in the sound or further out. This is in no way a trade for restricting the C&R fishery this year. Its about numbers of surplus hatchery fish that are finally 100 percent clipped.

If there is no recreational fishery in the Sky, then the hatchery should be shut down, used to raise other species (like steelhead?!!), or used to collect ESA chinook for brood stock to increase the wild fish numbers.

The place will be a zoo for the first week or so, until the fish get lockjawed, then the pressure will let up. Most of the pressure will be concentrated in the deep pooly water near the mouth of the Wallace, also down by the Sultan. Away from this area, there shouldn't be too much disruption to the summer steelhead fishery. I usually fish high during June and July, but will probably drop down to fish some of the deep pools between the Wallace and Sultan if they open it.

If they've achieved 100 percent clipped fins, they should open it for the surplus that the hatchery doesn't need. Enforcement should also put the area between the Wallace and Sultan on their radar scopes to make sure any non-clipped fish get put back and keep the snaggers at bay (sort of keep them at bay anyway). Last year, enforcement in this area, during this time period was actually pretty good.

Vic had good point about tribal nets. I'd always heard that one of the reasons it was never opened was because, if opened for sporties, there would have to be a 50 percent quota for the tribes, which would lead to unnacceptable interceptions of wild ESA fish. Anyone have a take on this issue?

#109153 - 03/06/01 08:46 PM Re: Skykomish chinook fishery still a possibility!!!
FASTWATER Offline
Spawner

Loc: Place's you only dream about
If they want a terminal fishery for hatchery kings why not open the wallace and just leave the sky closed I guess this would be to easy!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
crappieking, steelheadpimpjuice
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1216 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |