Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109243 - 03/07/01 02:50 AM Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
8 FOOT LEADER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
Boy every time I see someone mention the word "sled" here on this forum, here comes a sucker-punch! Dang people! If i wanted that kind of action I would go down to pioneer square for one of its riots.

So what do you think? honestly!

Sleds are a good thing
or
Sleds are bad.

show us what you think.

That way we'll know who not to sit with on St Patricks day in a pub downtown...LOL

#109244 - 03/07/01 04:08 AM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
WA fisher Offline
Fry

Sleds can, and usually are a great thing. It's the person who's driving it who can be the problem.

#109245 - 03/07/01 04:19 AM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
Hugh Heffner Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Playboy mansion
I love sleds when I'm in them, hate them when I'm in the drift boat. Like WA fisher said, it's not necessarily the sled but the driver.

#109246 - 03/07/01 09:32 AM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
fishaday Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Poulsbo,WA.
Nobody runs sleds on the rivers I fish, so I have not had any bad experiences myself. I also believe it's the driver not the boat thats the problem.

#109247 - 03/07/01 09:34 AM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
Eddie L Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle,Wa

#109248 - 03/07/01 10:50 AM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
It's all in the driver.I own both a sled and drift boat,when I'm in my drift boat I hate sleds.When I'm in my sled I hate drift boater's.So go figure.They have there time and place.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#109249 - 03/07/01 12:26 PM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
skunkmaster Offline
Parr

Loc: Cosmopolis,Wa USA
I am not an expert, I do own a driftboat and enjoy this type of fishing. But from talking with people in the know, The sleds are supposed to be hard on the mid to small sized rivers causing bank erosion with heavy traffic and destruction of gravel and spawning beds in the river with the use of the high powered jet engines, maybe some of the jet sled users from this board can state some argument or experienced opinion on this subject.
Thank You.

#109250 - 03/07/01 02:29 PM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

As has been stated many times over, sleds are both a boon and a bane(good/bad). I fish out of them almost exclusively on big rivers like the cowlitz, chehalis and columbia. Most guys are considerate and knowledgable in my experience.

However.

The dim bulbs that run them on smaller rivers like the wynoochee is a whole other matter. It's not about bank erosion or churning up the gravel.....that is minimal. It's about the lack of common sense some guys use in that they feel it is justifiable to run a sled amongst 30-50 driftboats and dozens of bank anglers in relatively tight quarters; Like it is some kind of advantage. The reality is they probably don't catch a much higher percentage of fish using their sleds but they create a lot of tension in these tighter quarters.

What chaps my a** is the ignorance/indifferance these pilots show towards the river, people and the resource (on small rivers). "me first"

Everything has a line. In this case it's river size and common sense in my book. I truly believe some guys would sled creeks if given the opportunity. But, there are also alot of guys who know better and keep the sleds on apprpriate sized rivers.

#109251 - 03/07/01 03:13 PM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
Dances Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Clarkston Wa
Eric
Hey man how is the fishin in that low clear water. almost gin clear right

Most people give sleds a rap because the drivers have a lack of common sense.

O and yea I fish froma sled all the time and its a 14 ft. silver.

But we are very considerate of others if there are drift boats up about us then we stay and fish down below them and I dont mean right under them I mean we run down river.

We fish medium size rivers too and usualy have little problems with drift boats but its when the big river boats come in. Yea you guys know who I am talkin about. THe guys that fish the cowliz and otehr big rivers who think that it is alright to run over the top of some ones hole while they are fishin it. those are the type of people that give the few and fare between good guys a bad rap.

------------------
work is for people who dont know how to fish

Doug Richert
www.Hellscanyonsportfishing.com

#109252 - 03/07/01 03:17 PM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
Hugh Heffner Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Playboy mansion
Don't forget that sleds are serious boondoggin/sidedriftin' machines, but I have yet to see a sledder pull plugs as accurately as a drift boat with a skilled oarsman. So I guess each has it's advantages, eh?

#109253 - 03/07/01 04:43 PM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

8 foot leader, or is that ringer? (grin)

Sleds are neither good nor bad. They are a machine to be used as a tool, wisely or not, depending on the driver. Me, I'm a sled hating sled owner. They are noisy and cause air and water pollution on their best days. And mine provides access to water I might not otherwise be able to fish. Although sleds may be annoying everywhere, I don't think they're inherently dangerous, except on small rivers where space for navigation is at a premium.

There was a thread a couple weeks ago about the angling public accessing public water through private property. If you recall, several BB members posted that they don't and won't allow access across their waterfront property.

So what's an angler to do? Given intermittent public access on most rivers, boats of one sort or another are most peoples' viable option to gain access to the public water. I have a sled among my small fleet because a motor boat is more economical than to always have someone drive a second vehicle to the river.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#109254 - 03/07/01 05:50 PM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
bank walker Offline
Spawner

Im fine with driftboats, rafts, pontoon boats, and anything else without a motor. I believe sleds should be kept to our bigger rivers like the Columbia, Chehalis, Snohomish, lower Skagit, etc...... BUT for rivers like the Nooch' and the Sky i think they are more of a nusance, unless your the guy buzzing back and forth.

All in all sleds are fine with me if they are kept away from small bodies of water.

- BW
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#109255 - 03/07/01 06:06 PM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
womperman Offline
Smolt

Loc: Aberdeen Wa
My fishin partner has driftboat I have a small sled, so we the have the best of both worlds. We end up using the sled more and more, so the thing is, when ever we go by a bankie or any other style boat, I ask my partner did we do right. I have never like't half a piece sign being waved at me. no one does, to sum it up, tillerman and oarsman just do it right. And remember ( the only water you own, is what you can drink )

#109256 - 03/07/01 06:34 PM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
River Rat Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Tacoma Wa. Perice
I have a small sled and yes I do pull plugs miss my drift boat for pluging I could get in the tight spots But my sled is alot less work when you fish alone most of the time

#109257 - 03/07/01 08:05 PM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
escapee Offline
Spawner

Loc: Marysville, Wa., USA
I think most of the people who think sled pilots are inconsiderate would change their tune if they were holding onto the tiller. Sometimes you must run fast to make it through the water you are in, sometimes you have to run close to someone on the bank, depending on what the river conditions are. I know some bank anglers have thought me rude when I was trying to be as considerate as possible, what can I say? I am not going to go home just because some bankie feels the need to stand right in the middle of the slot to fish. He is the one being rude in my book anyways since he is standing right where anyone with any sense would want to fish.

#109258 - 03/07/01 08:05 PM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
rodbuster Offline
Parr

Loc: lake stevens
i want one for my fleet.

#109259 - 03/07/01 08:55 PM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
There great if your in one.....but I hate them otherwise. I think they have their place in big river( bigger then the sky) and thats it. The story changes when your slayin fish in a 20footer doogin' though. Overall I would much rather have a relaxing or heart pounding day in a drift boat.

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#109260 - 03/07/01 09:04 PM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
IMHOOKEDINTHETAIL Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: greys harbor
No if ands or buts about it. Don't like sleds on my home rivers. If i wanted to hear the sound of motors running I would stay in my truck and drive I-5. Keep them in the bigger rivers only. My nickels worth.

------------------
HUMPTIME

#109261 - 03/07/01 09:22 PM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
ohhhhh i hate sleds sooooo much but they have a right to be there too :O)

#109262 - 03/07/01 10:16 PM Re: Lets take a pole and see who hates sleds
Eddie L Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle,Wa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |