LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109368 - 03/09/01 12:59 AM Best Halibut Bait....wild Steelhead?
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
I understand that wild steelhead from the Quillayute system is the least expensive option. If this is true it is very sad. I heard from a reliable source that indeed this is happening.

#109369 - 03/09/01 04:27 AM Re: Best Halibut Bait....wild Steelhead?
blackjack777 Offline
Alevin

Loc: Port Townsend
I doubt that this is the case. If, for example, people were buying steelies for bait, the current rate they would pay is 1$ per pound. This is much more than a 25# box of frozen squid.
Longliners wouldn't gain from it, because they pay more in the 1st place and then they have to put it up. Further, they would have wastage from the guts and head. Squid is the bait of choice because it stays on the c- hooks and is tougher and works!.
Sporty's, in the ocean fishery, would be crazy if they use anything other than jigs in my opinion, because of the depth of the fish.
I don't disagree that someone out their may use it, but it's not profitable or worthwhile.

------------------
"Chicken one day ~~ feathers the next!~

FULLTIME FISHING IS MY JOB! & RETIREMENT ROCKS!

#109370 - 03/09/01 04:57 AM Re: Best Halibut Bait....wild Steelhead?
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
Blackjack. I hope you are right. Squid is in abundance.

#109371 - 03/09/01 11:15 AM Re: Best Halibut Bait....wild Steelhead?
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
The Tribes did the same thing last year
why buy squid when you've got tons of "Wild" bait .....nothing surprises me anymore....Os

#109372 - 03/09/01 12:29 PM Re: Best Halibut Bait....wild Steelhead?
RRR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: (Tacoma native),San Diego WA, ...
Heart Lake near Annacortes: First couple of weeks after opening day, back when the state stocked "jumbo" (14"-17") rainbow trout, many people would limit as many times as possible and then use the trout for halibut bait. As far as I could tell this used to be a pretty widespread practice.

VERY Homesick in San Diego

#109373 - 03/09/01 01:33 PM Re: Best Halibut Bait....wild Steelhead?
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
Wild steelhead is used by some during the tribal commercial halibut harvest. It is the cheapest bait option, and the down river fish that are caught in the nets can be used, as bait. In my opinion it is a disgusting practice, but it is legal for tribal members.

#109374 - 03/10/01 08:36 AM Re: Best Halibut Bait....wild Steelhead?
plugger Offline
Eyed Egg

I was a decky on a commercial boat in Alaska back in the early 80's, and using humpys for bait was common practice.
They were cheap and easy to come by, therefor making good bait.One squid, one bait. one humpy, (steelhead) ? baits.
And as far as only using jigs only for butts, I can't tell you how many we've caught over the years bragging a hearing around in 60' to 120'while king fishing(when you used to be able to that is).

#109375 - 03/10/01 04:38 PM Re: Best Halibut Bait....wild Steelhead?
flyfisher1066 Offline
Smolt

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
What a sad thing that this is going on. That brings up an interesting, and sad, point of kelts that are returning to sea getting snagged in the nets. Those are definately fish we want to spawn again, considering that they made the journey once. With good forecasts for Spring Chinook and all the commercial fisheries dying to get their nets into them, that could wipe out a lot more of the strong steelhead on their way back to sea. So...anyone out there have any good news for a change?

#109376 - 03/11/01 10:33 PM Re: Best Halibut Bait....wild Steelhead?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Haven't heard anything on this so far this year, but it took place last year for sure.

Wonderful state we live in ... anything over the magic number the state puts out there is a "wasted fish", so let's feed it to a halibut instead of letting it spawn.

Wonder if any newsfolk would have to nerve to tackle this one??

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |