Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110097 - 03/24/01 12:47 PM Springer questions
maggotgagger Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: renton,wa,u.s.a
where is the nearest boat launch to the boneville pool and will trolling plugs work instead of herring

#110098 - 03/26/01 08:47 AM Re: Springer questions
bait boy Offline
Parr

Loc: Vancouver, Wa,USA
there are a couple of options on the oregon side you can put in at cascade locks and run across or there is a rampoff hiway 4 at the wind river.

The way most guys fish up there is to pull some type of plug, from Quickfish to hotshots my fave is magnum wiggle warts.

Good luck fishing with a couple thousand of your closest friends

Rick

#110099 - 03/26/01 03:26 PM Re: Springer questions
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
There's also a ramp near Stevenson. I've never run it but I hear it can be pretty nasty coming back down from the Wind when it's blowing. Just plan on being at the Wind launch at 3:30 with a lot of patience and you'll be fine.

Just to whet the appetite a bit more - between 3/10 and yesterday the tickers at Bonneville counted 3200 Springers over the ladders. During the same period last year they counted 330. No I'm not missing or adding any zeros...

Bruce

#110100 - 03/26/01 08:16 PM Re: Springer questions
Bellinghamangler Offline
Alevin

Loc: Richland
Hey Bruce, where are you getting your fish passage data? Im gettin getting mine from https://www.nwp.usace.army.mil/op/fishdata/AdultFishCounts/2001_3.txt This page doesent update evry day, obviously yours does. Im really excited, I have a trip planned for April 8th thru the 16th. Looks like the run will be one of the best ever!

#110101 - 03/27/01 03:23 AM Re: Springer questions
sockeye Offline
Parr

Loc: Kent,WA U.S.A.
If a person is from Washington and puts in on the oregon side and happeneds to come back with some fish would you be hasseled by the Oregon Dept of Fish and Wildlife?

------------------
Sockeye

#110102 - 03/27/01 08:42 AM Re: Springer questions
bait boy Offline
Parr

Sockeye,

To the best of my knowledge unless you are fishing below Bonneville(I think that's the only portion of the mainstem thats actually open) MY answer would be NO. If you are fishing the Wind river from a put in on the Oregon side I think that you still need a Wa license because they actually have a boundary posted for that area. There is a set of boundary markers that separate the Wind from the Columbia. That makes it officially Washington.

For fishing in the mainstem of the columbia the states have a mutual agreement on sport caught fish. but if you fish a branch or tributary you are required to have that states license regardless of point of origin.

I hope thats right and helps you out....
you can get licenses at the store in Stevenson (I think) or order them on the internet.

the site the I find the most up to date is the Dart site http://www.cqs.washington.edu/dart/adult.html
Rick

#110103 - 03/27/01 12:06 PM Re: Springer questions
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Bellinghamangler, the Dart site that Rick linked to above is where I get my numbers. Actually, the numbers I posted may be off.

I think those 3200+ vs. the 330 at the same time last year may be overall counts - not just for the March time period. Still, it's 10X the number of springers over the dam this year that there were last year. Fire up the coals...

Bruce
Schmidts Pro Staff

[This message has been edited by B. Gray (edited 03-27-2001).]

#110104 - 03/27/01 09:01 PM Re: Springer questions
Crayfin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Beaverton
Point of origin, Gentleman. I am 90% sure that if you put in in Oregon-you must have an Oregon license because that is where you are landing. I buy a Washington license every year for that reason.

#110105 - 03/27/01 09:42 PM Re: Springer questions
Bellinghamangler Offline
Alevin

Loc: Richland
Maggotgagger, check this site out for boat launches.http://boat.iac.wa.gov/launches.asp?county=Klickitat

#110106 - 03/27/01 10:19 PM Re: Springer questions
salmonbelly Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kirkland, Wa USA
The site Bhamangler referred to is the most up to date for dam counts. They post data two days after the fact, ie, Sunday's actual counts go on the site Tuesday morning. There are 600-700 springers passing the Bonneville ladders daily right now, and guys plunking spin 'n glos just downstream of the dam are doing quite well. Catches have been averaging about one springer for every 3.5 to 5 anglers daily since the weekend. State checks show about 67 percent of the fish are marked hatchery fish. The rest are considered wild and must be let go. It's still slow so far upstream at the Wind River and Drano Lake. I'm down there Friday...

#110107 - 03/28/01 05:06 AM Re: Springer questions
bait boy Offline
Parr

#110108 - 03/28/01 01:18 PM Re: Springer questions
schitzo with a berkley Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: edgewood, wa........
salmonbelly, you say that plunkers are picking up some fish, but is that the washingotn or oregon side, i would be fishing the washington side, any thing you can hint to as what would ie: bait and all that, thanks for any info, i want to head down there in a few weeks, since ive hardly fished speingers ( like 1 time) so im new at this.. **schitzo**

#110109 - 03/28/01 02:38 PM Re: Springer questions
bait boy Offline
Parr

I think that the standard plunking rig will suffice go with a larger spinnglow (orange with stripes)and if you use long leaders put a cork on the middle of your leader if you tie on a swivel about 2-3' abouve your 3 way you can slide down another rig like a wobbler or quickfish. rig that on a shorter leader than the distance from your swivel to your 3 way. with a snap swivel on the non business end put a 1/2 oz cannon ballon the snap and clip to your line and let it slide down your mainline (put a couple of large beads on the mainline before trying this). and take a
I dont know how much weight they are throwing but i'd bring 8-14 oz pyramid or bank type sinkers. some folks use bait some use scent some use nothing. go with a size 4/0 or 5/0 hook

this is what the plunkers use at Meldrum bar in oregon city.

Good luck and I hope that helped a little

Rick

#110110 - 03/28/01 02:39 PM Re: Springer questions
bait boy Offline
Parr

I think that the standard plunking rig will suffice. go with a larger spinnglow (orange with stripes)and if you use long leaders put a cork on the middle of your leader if you tie on a swivel about 2-3' above your 3 way. you can slide down another rig like a wobbler or quickfish. rig that on a shorter leader than the distance from your swivel to your 3 way. with a snap swivel on the non business end put a 1/2 oz cannon ballon the snap and clip to your line and let it slide down your mainline (put a couple of large beads on the mainline before trying this). and take a
I dont know how much weight they are throwing but i'd bring 8-14 oz pyramid or bank type sinkers. some folks use bait some use scent some use nothing. go with a size 4/0 or 5/0 hook

this is what the plunkers use at Meldrum bar in oregon city.

Good luck and I hope that helped a little

Rick

#110111 - 03/28/01 05:24 PM Re: Springer questions
Jim Bain Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Chehalis, Washington USA
Hang on to your hats guys it will only get better!!! Lower Col. is crankin out fish with some beauties in the low 30's...That should continue for a few more weeks...these fish scoot right along so any of the normal spots below Bonneville are producing some fish...the bulk of the run is yet to come...kind of makes ya squirm a little eh!!?? As for the Wind...relax, have fun, and fish wiggle warts...the rest you will have to read in Mr. Grays article this month in STS magazine!

Jim

#110112 - 03/28/01 07:44 PM Re: Springer questions
maggotgagger Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: renton,wa,u.s.a
hey guys thanks for all the info we went to Kalama last sun, saw about 20 or so boats didn't really know what I was doing and didn't catch anything but I only saw 5 or 6 fish caught I have a pretty good idea what I'm gonna do next time(this weekend!!)and thanks for that boat launch site, bellingham

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 176 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |