THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110676 - 04/03/01 01:11 AM SO - HOW'S IT GONNA BE ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

One of the things that Bob and I talked about is what direction we'd like to see the Piscatorial Pursuits BB take. I will give you my take on this important subject, then turn it over to you members for your input. ...

First, I would like to see subject matter be primarily about NW fishing; particularly focused on steelhead and salmon fishing in Washington and Oregon. But I would welcome discussion on any type of fishing that holds the interest of our membership here. There are plenty of us that are interested in such as sturgeon, bottom fishing (no - I'm not talking about Saturday shopping at Walmart 'Hey_Yall'), and I'm sure there are those that have favorite bassholes to discuss. Also, I love discussing B.C. fishing and Alaska fishing. And who woundn't enjoy a thread like Parker's "Boot Wars"?!? We've all on occassion gotten itchy enough to hold up a 'less than chrome' fish (but SAUKit Justin, that one was "no fish yet horny" dude smile ). Yeehaw laugh . ... Also, I think most of us would enjoy the occassional discussion of reasonable non-fishing related topics (such as the Dawg's lucky win over the Beavs by 3 pts. in the Dog House last fall - and that will be theee 'last fall' eek ); as long as they don't become out of hand dominant such that we stray too much from being a fishing forum. As with my former BB gig, I will be posting a lot of various fishing tech subjects. This is not only for the BB cause here, but also to promote my upcoming comprehensive salmon and steelhead fishing book "The REEL TRUTH". ...

What I don't want to see here, and ultimately we won't allow anymore, are threads that degenerate into counter-productive slam fests. Go away lame flamers! Instead, argue your points with some civility and relevant posts!!! We won't allow any blantant vulgar language or racism! Long threads that don't contain the specific violations above, yet become very distracting with a downward spiral of negativity aren't appreciated. This latter concern is something that I would like you to give feedback about within this thread. We don't want to become too censorous either; unless it's really necessary to maintain the type of quality board we all want. ... On the other hand, I enjoy posting a bit of benign adult oriented humor and teasing - like that you would find among friends out fishing together. I call that "boat talk". That will keep the BB not only more fun but also give us more of a sense of community! Just keep it within the bounds of decency. And you are welcome to 'moderate' this moderator with constructive posted criticism, or complaints via e-mail (listed under the e-mail icon at the top of all posts). You'll be hearing from Bob or I when you get out of line; via e-mail and/or within posted threads here when out of line.

As for my own $0.02 worth opinion on fishing reports: While this BB site is a large one, it still doesn't encompass the majority of fishermen in Washington and Oregon. So I would really like to see us become more of a sharing 'community' at Piscatorial Pursuits, to help each other get more out of our fishing. To that end, I think it's great to share active current fishing report info about larger and/or reasonably well known rivers or open bodies of water. However, we are large enough, and growing, that I would prefer not to see reports about less known areas or smaller rivers that can't handle undue fishing pressure and still remain special places to fish. These are places that anglers should 'earn' thru self discovery. Again, give us your posted feedback about that in this thread. ...

Thanks again for the many nice comments I've received. And let's get after it smile . - Steve Hanson (RT)

#110677 - 04/03/01 01:38 AM Re: SO - HOW'S IT GONNA BE ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Aw man this RT guys sucks!!!! jk of course but watch out for this guy he is a known deviant and is know from time to time to talk about the stock market,sports and things like cabarets in Beaverton laugh

#110678 - 04/03/01 01:59 AM Re: SO - HOW'S IT GONNA BE ?
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
I'll say it again, nice to see you here Steve. You know, I totally agree on your philosophy on how you want this page to be. I want it to be like our Floatilla on the Satsop. A good time, good friends, and good fishing. A good place to sit down, prop the feet up, and BS.

It'll be nice to have Hey_yall and Os shootin the chit and telling tales of emus and loons. eek I've already noticed that there's alot of Oregonians registering. I feel that between the two states, we can make this a world class FISHING BB. Plus with the new board format, it makes things much easier. Now all I need to do is get my cataraft club going and we're all set.

Jerry

PS, hey Steve, send me your mailing address again, I have some new jigs to send you. Experimentel jigs I've been working on.

Northwest River Fisherman

#110679 - 04/03/01 02:26 AM Re: SO - HOW'S IT GONNA BE ?
B Mac Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Graham,WA, USA
My only input into this forum would be to quickly put an end to the name calling and bad mouthing that has become way to prevelant on this site. I come here to read about other anglers successes and possibly pick up a tip or two to improve my own steelheading. I also enjoy the discussions about the state of our fisheries and possible solutions to the problems we are faced with trying to protect this resource. Lets keep this site a positive and fun place to escape!

[ 04-02-2001: Message edited by: B Mac ]

#110680 - 04/03/01 02:30 AM Re: SO - HOW'S IT GONNA BE ?
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Quote:
Originally posted by B Mac:
My only input into this forum would be to quickly put an end to the name calling and bad mouthing that has become way to prevelant on this site.
[ 04-02-2001: Message edited by: B Mac ]

Thats what happens whenever you a migration of flamers from a nwcertainsomewhere.com.

#110681 - 04/03/01 08:41 AM Re: SO - HOW'S IT GONNA BE ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Keep it going just like you did on the other site RT! I agree with steelheader69 totally. Even about the cataraft thing dude. wink

#110682 - 04/03/01 08:58 AM Re: SO - HOW'S IT GONNA BE ?
Swami Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Everett,Wa
Glad to see you on the board, wondering when the book will be done?

#110683 - 04/03/01 10:07 AM Re: SO - HOW'S IT GONNA BE ?
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
Hey RT, if decency comes into play, does that mean hey'yall isn't allowed to play here? laugh Glad to see we can still use inuendos, and for our Wazzu brothers, references to sheep.

I think the outline you came up with is great. Mostly fishing with plenty of room for humor, sprinkle in some hunting, politics when right, and talk about why Chevys suck and its perfect.

#110684 - 04/03/01 10:28 AM Re: SO - HOW'S IT GONNA BE ?
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
I can personally tell you that I like trading info on techniques. I have learned a lot of new things to try out here in the Midwest, and have been able to share some tricks with some board members that will hopefull pan out on your low water, line sensitive summer run fish. I have made some great friends, and had the opportunity to meet some board members, and fish with a few of them on my trip out to Washington last fall. I would be more than happy to be the Midwest connestion on any finicky fish information that I can help with.

What turned out to be a 5 minute probe on an internet sight 3 years ago, has turned in to a daily past time. I plan on coming out West every year for a few days, to re-new friendships, and shoot the breeze with some new found friends. The guys have been great, and can only hope that a few guys come out to experience some of our fishery here in the Midwest.

Hey Rat: can't wait to see what those Michigan fish think of those Fresh sandshrimp this weekend. Will post a report when I get back next Friday. eek eek eek eek eek eek eek

#110685 - 04/03/01 10:57 AM Re: SO - HOW'S IT GONNA BE ?
finclipped Offline
Fry

Loc: Vancouver
Well, if RT's here, I suppose its time to register. I Look forward to seeing your Moderaing style on the board. wink

#110686 - 04/03/01 11:23 AM Re: SO - HOW'S IT GONNA BE ?
fishaday Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Poulsbo,WA.
RT, your outline of things to come sounds right on par. We need to focus on the good sometimes not always the bad, hopefully with your thumb on the world we can better control the bashing and the pissin & moanin.

This board gives me a place to visit during a long ,otherwise uneventful day and can be a nice break from the daily grind.

One suggestion that I made to Bob via e-mail was to include a picture posting section for the board members. A place to post fish pictures or personal pics, I'd like to put a face with some of the names on the forum.

Other than the above mentioned just keep up the good work, this is a great site that can only get better!!! smile smile smile

Thanks-fishaday

#110687 - 04/03/01 11:35 AM Re: SO - HOW'S IT GONNA BE ?
Spoony Offline
Fry

Loc: WA
RT - I would suggest being very careful about censorship for all the right reasons. As you know, censorship, even well intended can spin out of control as fast as a miscommunicated and mistaken post.

I agree that a quick e-mail from you, to the offenders of ettiquette, would work wonders for the feel of this site. It certainly will reduce the number of wounded pride, angry response posts which turn up the gain on bad mojo within BB. Thanks for the effort...Spoony

#110688 - 04/03/01 11:37 AM Re: SO - HOW'S IT GONNA BE ?
Hey Yall Watch This Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia....beeyotch
You have a moderating style? Who do you think cost him his last job? wink muh ha ha ha So RT, are ya going to get down on us if I say, "Circle the Wagons, Boys!" when I get frustrated by all the gillnetters?

Is it purely coincidental that you are angler # 911? I saw that number and said, "no [Bleeeeep!]".
LOL muh ha ha ha Just remember Beaver, you are on Washington turf now eek So whatcha gonna do when the hey_yall-amania runs wild all over you, brother? *pose down*

thefishinggoddess.com fan club

#110689 - 04/03/01 11:55 AM Re: SO - HOW'S IT GONNA BE ?
Pilar Offline
Fry

Loc: Portland Oregon
Hey RT, it didn't take you long to find a place to light. Nice photo of the Wild one in the Pike place market. I wonder how many who bought one realized what they were doing?

Good luck big guy, let's see what the unrestrained RT is like!! eek eek

#110690 - 04/03/01 01:26 PM Re: SO - HOW'S IT GONNA BE ?
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
I love the new direction that this board has headed in. This place is hoppin'!! Plus, it seems that overnight, the flamers have disapeared.

Hawk-
We are designing the perfect shrimp sending cooler so that your shrimp arrive in nothing but the best of condition. wink

#110691 - 04/03/01 02:24 PM Re: SO - HOW'S IT GONNA BE ?
Fish4Fun Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton
RT,

Like the rest of us that are migrating to this site I think the ideas that you have for moderating it is what we were looking for at the other BB. Nothing wrong with a little "Boat Talk" as you refered to it. Also, when it is tuff fishing like this winter was some of the humor threads do help carry the board until things get going again out on the water. Good luck and lets talk fishin.

#110692 - 04/03/01 04:04 PM Re: SO - HOW'S IT GONNA BE ?
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
I too like the direction that the board is headed in. Seems like there are alot more posts as of lately. Got kinda staginate there for awhile. Welcome RT. laugh laugh

SRBC

Tight lines

Kevin

#110693 - 04/03/01 04:05 PM Re: SO - HOW'S IT GONNA BE ?
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
RT - I have to agree. Keep the focus narrow. Your audience should be deep but not necessarily wide. There are other sites that cater to walleye and bass anglers. My view is that the content should mirror what you might read in STS. The majority of stuff on Pacific Northwest/BC/Alaska salmon and trout angling including tips, techniques, locations, etc. It should also have stuff from the Great Lakes, and occasionally something different like sturgeon, as in the latest issue of STS.

Editing/censoring is a necessary evil, so use your best judgement. However, like all readers, I consider myself the ultimate editor. If I don't like the direction or tone of a particular post, I simply stop reading it and go to a different post. Nobody is forcing me to read anything. But nobody likes to be slammed by an uninformed knuckle-head, so some accountability may be necessary. Like shutting down a post or giving a flamer a "time-out" by locking him/her out for a week or two. Sorta like I give my two-year-old after a tantrum.....

I like the idea of having a post-it board for members to display photos of the big ones that were released or the hatchery brats that were bonked or the moose that stepped out of the brush and sat on my Lamiglass 1311....

Perhaps an automatic spell checker wouldn't hurt either. All replies/messages could be filtered through the checker before posting. Otherwise, the literacy of some members will continue to be questioned.

Best of luck and continued success with this BB.

#110694 - 04/03/01 05:15 PM Re: SO - HOW'S IT GONNA BE ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good feedback - thanks guys. Bring on some more ideas from those that haven't put in their comments; or whenever you guys think of something. .... I also will mention that you can put pics right within your posts; but having a pic page would be a neat idea too. As for my buddies Hey_Yall and Osprey laugh ... let's see ... gotta love your guys humor and you will have more freedom of expression here. Just keep it reasonable smile . If ya don't; 'Yall, I'll be puttin you out on a Seattle street corner in a pink fu fu dress and your ice cream cone ... and Os, I'd try spanking you again, but I figured out you're into that and love it. So, how about a blind date with Loon eek when you are a bad boy. BTW, let the guys know that I blasted her hard on her board for her way out of line posts about you and Bob - and they disappeared right after I did. I think that likely there is a nicer gal inside that rough exterior. She sure can fish and is good looking - I'll give her that. None of that type of crap on this BB! Otherwise, let's have some fun and info. Yeehaw! smile

[ 04-03-2001: Message edited by: RT ]

#110695 - 04/03/01 06:04 PM Re: SO - HOW'S IT GONNA BE ?
Hammer Bob Offline
Fry

Loc: Yolo, Ca. USA
I think the way the BB has been outlined is fine. The only caution I would add is that what is commonly referred to as "Trash Talking" should be prevented. These type of post lose their humor very fast and ALWAYS degenerate quicker than any other type of thread resulting in hurt and very angry feelings amongst members. Subtle and not so subtle humor and "boat talk" is far superior to the trash talking style. Let's see where we end up!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (20 Gage, Excitable Bob), 631 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645360 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |