THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110815 - 04/03/01 07:00 PM Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!!
fishhead5 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Shelton
They are still netting the Chehalis 4 days a week, for the next 2 weeks. All for $.60 a lb. mad

Fishhead5

It is not illegal to deplete a fishery by management.

They need to limit Democrats to two terms, one in office, and one in prison.

#110816 - 04/03/01 07:45 PM Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!!
potter Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Pacific Beach, WA, USA
it's a buck a pound.

#110817 - 04/03/01 07:47 PM Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!!
potter Offline
Juvenille at Sea

it's a buck a pound.

#110818 - 04/03/01 08:58 PM Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!!
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Is that supposed to be funny, potter? I don't see anything funny about it frown .

Sixty cents, a buck........it's all crap as far as I can see. Nice.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#110819 - 04/03/01 10:33 PM Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!!
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rochester, WA USA
mad Very Funny Potter. Sixty cents a pound isn't even worth getting your feet wet, but for a dollar a pound you'll kill every Goddamn fish in the state!

#110820 - 04/03/01 11:20 PM Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!!
potter Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Not trying to be funny but it's hard to read untruths and not reply. Do people just make this stuff up as they go? The price was never .60. It was .75 and went up to a buck 2 weeks ago.

#110821 - 04/04/01 01:21 AM Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!!
Vic Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa, USA
Potter:

Thanks for making my point from another thread. These fish are worth a buck a pound to the Tribes and they are priceless to us. I think you and some of your friends should rethink your values!!! mad

#110822 - 04/04/01 01:53 AM Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!!
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
This to me is ridiculous, the fish they are catching are all the upper chehalis river native stock, which is cand r for sportsman, like it should be. I was just looking at some catch statistics today and the number of fish that have been taken out of that area by the tribes is sick. I hope everyone can sit down someday together and come up with some kind of agreement to stop the senseless slaughter and get the fish runs back up to where they should be where more people will benefit from them.
Peace Superfly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#110823 - 04/04/01 03:13 AM Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

As I mentioned, we won't be getting into anything blatantly racist on this BB. Not all Native Americans are into the over harvest by gillnet of native steelhead to the detriment of present and future fish runs. But by circumstance of unfortunate interpretation of Treaties and improper over fishing past what those Treaties and Federal Court reviews of them allocated for, a group of people that happen to be Indians are taking unfair advantage of, and even breaking Treatiy laws with this wrongful gillnetting of nates! That is not racism, but realism! I'm just as opposed to whites or other races of people gillnetting nates. What could possibly be 'reverse' racism is this: it was never historic Indian tradition to over harvest the fish resources, but for some of them it is now - could this be about more than just a relatively small amount of money? Could it be partly a 'rub it in "whitey's" face' situation to be doing this because of what some white people's ancestors did in another lifetime?!? Sorry to have to say this, but by most accounts this seems probable. That's very unfortunate and counterproductive for all parties in the short and long run. I wish and hope for better sense to abate this scenario before it's too late. The Indian's can certainly get monetary compensation for not netting the nates. SO - why don't they?!? Is the answer in the above scenario, or is there something we are unaware of that we should know about? I want to know if my suspicions, and others, are wrong. And what can be done to resolve the issue! Potter? Anyone?

RT

#110824 - 04/04/01 02:43 PM Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!!
fishhead5 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Shelton
Potter, a friend of mine was fishing down on the Quinault and thats what Frank told him. I figured the info was pretty good. Even at a buck a lb, I guess the question we all have a problem with is why? Money? Tradition? or just because you can. I don't get it. Give me one good reason and I'll go away.

It is not illegal to deplete a fishery by management.

They need to limit Democrats to two terms, one in office, and one in prison.

#110825 - 04/04/01 11:50 PM Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!!
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rochester, WA USA
RT, Very well put! I especially agree with you on the issue of the tribal fishermen continueing to net natives just to"Rub it in whitey's face" as you say. I do not think that anything that is said about tribal fishermen on this site could be called "Racist" provided it is true. Besides, the Racism card is getting a little played out, if you ask me. If the tribes don't want everybody to hate them, then stop netting up all the fish. If they don't mind all of the negetive feedback that they get as a result of their unbridaled assault of our native runs, then by all means, net away. I just find it funny how tribal members get on this site, talk about tribal netting like its some nobel tradition to totally wipe out runs just in the name of selling the fish at Pike Place Market, then they act hurt and surprized when all the sport fishermen on this site are pissed off at them. These tribal guys have got to expect that us sporties aren't going to agree with them on this issue.

#110826 - 04/05/01 01:40 PM Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!!
FASTWATER Offline
Spawner

Loc: Place's you only dream about
Potter is just about as nice a lady as you would ever want to meet, plus offers us alot of insight and true information on Indian affair's, not to mention she can out fish most of men I know so I it goes back to what your parents told you boy's if you don't have something nice to say dont say anything at all. If you had the chance to fish with her you would understand what I'm trying to say so back off!!! PEACE mad

#110827 - 04/05/01 01:56 PM Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!!
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Look FAST,

Nobody was bagging on potter personally, so save your lecture. I have no problem with potter, but I do have a problem with nets in the Chehalis and Natives being sold for a buck a pound, and I am damn well going to say I think it's crap. Don't like it? Too bad.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#110828 - 04/05/01 02:10 PM Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!!
Vic Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa, USA
Fastwater:

I have been very vocal and hard on tribal fishermen on this board and want to make it clear that I don't have anything personal against Nativepride or Potter or any other Native American. I don't hate the tribes. I just hate what they do to our natural resources. I respect the tirbal members that post here. This is a hostile environment when it comes to Tribal issues and they have the guts to stand up for their beliefs.

#110829 - 04/05/01 02:28 PM Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!!
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
.....IMHO: I just don't understand the idea of netting wild runs of fish,
that the tribes are doing nothing to help the returns,
You Guys have you're own damn river with you're own damn hatcheries,So I guess when you're done netting the Chehalis toDEATH you'll still have you're own little private fishery going own frown
yet you give the same tired explanation as always "It's our right to " all you do is take, take, take and blame the sporty's for all the problems.....try being part of the solution not the EXTINCTION mad

All for a FREAKING Dollar a lbat least we know what you're Tradition&Heritage goes for now days

just my .02.....Os

: Message edited by: Duct Tape ]

[ 04-05-2001: Message edited by: Osprey ]

#110830 - 04/05/01 04:52 PM Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!!
potter Offline
Juvenille at Sea

#110831 - 04/05/01 05:19 PM Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!!
DriftWood Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma, Wa, USA
While fishing the Nisqually last year during Chum season had an indian drift his net 5 feet in front of me and pull out 20 feet below me. When I thanked him for this,(in a resonably polite way) his reply was and "I'll do it every chance I get" Seems to me he was rubbing it in whiteys face. mad

#110832 - 04/05/01 05:49 PM Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!!
PiperFLA Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bremerton WA, USA
Had the same thing happen to me on the Green about 10 years ago. There were about 5 of us fishing the bank. I still have a sour taste in my mouth.... mad mad

#110833 - 04/05/01 06:09 PM Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!!
Oregon Fish Chaser Offline
Fry

Loc: Beaverton, OR
Listen, there are good sport fisherman who care about the environment and the fish runs. There are also dishonest fishermen and snaggers out there who don't give a crap about anybody else besides bringing home some meat.

Its the same with tribal fishermen. Some of them care very deeply about the fish runs and the elk herds, and some don't give a **** about anything.

You can't group a bunch of people together and call them "tribal fishermen" and then extrapolate every misdeed you see onto the group as a whole.

Now when the tribes manipulate the law and regulations for their benfit, like exceeding treating allocations to the detriment of me (and other sport fishermen) then I will speak out against it. This is an organized effort to grab all they can from a shared resource, and everyone else gets crapped on. mad

#110834 - 04/05/01 07:03 PM Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!!
float'n'blade Offline
Fry

Loc: Chilliwak, BC
You guys are hillarious. Everytime I check the board, guys are ranting and raving about the Natives decimating runs, and how the evil Natives will be the end all of Wa streams.
Yet the sportys in your State still have a Wild steelhead kill! Get it together boys.... if Washington sportys cared so much about the fish(and I know some of you do), there would be no wild kill. The sport fisherman in your state have to get their own business in order first, and then lobby to have the nets removed. As long as there is a sport kill, you guys have no argument against the Natives that have a treaty right to harvest fish.

The Natives will always be an easy target to pick on, and their damage to the resource will always be overstated. The commercial harvest and open sea netting is the number 1 enemy of all sport fisherman. At least the in stream nets are somewhat selective(stream wise, not Hatch vs Wild).

I personally believe that the sport kill and the nets should be phased out. I also beleive that as long as the sport fisherman of WA State are killing wild Steelhead, they have no argument against the Indians. When you brand the Tribes as "they", or "you guys", and lump all NAtives into one group, remember that you yourself are also "they" and "you guys", as your lobby group is currently killing wild steelhead also.

Legalize It!
MWL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |