Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111001 - 04/04/01 06:17 PM World Record Kings
Short_Stick Offline
Alevin

Loc: Spokane
I was thinking of making a real effort to put myself in the right area for a chance at a world record king. I have the month of July to work with plus or minus a few weeks on either side.

Where do you think I would have the best chance at hitting a bonafide record book king.

#111002 - 04/04/01 06:49 PM Re: World Record Kings
FISHNBRAD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton,WA
I'd have to say the Kenai, the second run is in july and they tend to be bigger, but the current world record was caught in late May,go figure. I'll be there the first 10 days of June to see if I can tighe into a slab or two.

other than that I would have to say Skeena, or Rivers inlet BC, Those are the big fish spots I know, Good luck

#111003 - 04/04/01 06:53 PM Re: World Record Kings
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Here's the World Record King Salmon.

Over 97 pounds and just shy of 60 inches in length!

eek eek eek eek eek eek eek

#111004 - 04/04/01 07:04 PM Re: World Record Kings
WA fisher Offline
Fry

Wasn't it the Kenai River where that guy lost that fish estimated at over 100 lbs? Didn't he fight it for over 30 hours?

#111005 - 04/04/01 07:08 PM Re: World Record Kings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey 'Short_Stick', remember it's not the length that counts but how you use it; your rod. laugh Now if you know how to use a long one then you are in the game for the world record. I like the Lami 9' Kenai Killer line rated 12 to 30 lb. Lots of other good strong sticks for that though. Of course the Kenai had the world record King taken a few years ago. That's a good prospect, but with so many boatloads of people crowded on that river the majority of fishers get fish half that size for their big one of their trip. To get a world class King there is like playing the lottery. You feel real lucky?; go get in the crowds. If you want a better experience and likely a bigger fish because of less pressure, go with Bob Ball (guide and site owner here) on AK's Kasilof River. Or fish less crowded areas of NW B.C.'s Skeena R. and tribs (especially the Kalum - the first run in May before the snow melt runoff is the best, but has a good run in the summer too). The record river fish taken in these NW B.C. rivers is 93 lbs., but many over a 100 lbs. have been taken in nets. I wish I could take a jetsled up B.C.'s roadless Kilbella River where hardly anybody fishes. That's where the huge River's Inlet Kings go up on their spawning runs. Use 50 lb. superbraid mainline and 40 or 60 lb. Maxima Chameleon leader for those biguns up north. Good luck.

#111006 - 04/04/01 07:11 PM Re: World Record Kings
flyfisher1066 Offline
Smolt

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
The Elwha River is a good possibility for a record holder. There's just one small problem: you need a time machine to go back in time before those f****** dams went into place. BTW, does anyone know the latest with regard to their removal?

#111007 - 04/04/01 07:21 PM Re: World Record Kings
Short_Stick Offline
Alevin

RT,

I have no experience with braided lines. Are they user friendly on an Abu 7000 or should I stick to Maxima? What is the advantage of a braided line anyways? As I said before I like the forgiveness (stretch)of mono especially when you have a hog on the other end. Will my short stick hold up with the braided line or will I be playing the fish off the reel most of the time?

I have heard that bait catches small fish (jacks). I wonder what that world record was caught on?

#111008 - 04/04/01 08:47 PM Re: World Record Kings
Anonymous
Unregistered

SS, the superbraid lines, such as Tuf Line, are superior in many ways for many salmon fishing applications. They are strong, thinner, have little to no stretch, and last much longer against the elements such as water and sun exposure. With the thinner line and no stretch it is great for backbouncing big Kings because you can get down with less weight and they pick up and tap your lead so much better and esier than stretchy mono. And it is much more sensative to fish bites when backbouncing or driftfishing. As for backtrolling big egg clusters and Spin N Glo combos for the big Kings with a Jet Planer or Magmun Hot N Tot, the thinner line again allows you to get down to the right depth near bottom much easier than thick heavy mono, and with less line out. The down side of the braids is you need to keep some tension on when reeling in so it winds firmly on the spool (usually not a problem reeling in a lure of bait against aurrent), or it can become more backlash prone for casting long distances. It helps to cast a little harder per given distance so you can allow your thumb to very lightly ride on the spool during the cast. Once you get that down it's a superior situation with those advantages.

#111009 - 04/05/01 05:35 AM Re: World Record Kings
Anonymous
Unregistered

shocked Note: the picture hosting sites no longer will send our stored pic to other websites. To see the pics here that disappeared access www.photopoint.com and in the upper right corner type in my reeltruth1@aol.com addy, which gets you to my Steve Hanson directory, and then click on View albums and then on 'recreation' to see the big fish pics - stashed among some other fish pics. Thanks.
-----------------

This fish in the pic is no world record, but it is my personal record - 70 lb. Kitimat River B.C. king. I've had some Kenai kings close but not as big. ...

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1432992&a=12489069&p=36948203&Sequence=0[/img]

[ 04-22-2001: Message edited by: RT ]

#111010 - 04/05/01 11:19 AM Re: World Record Kings
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
For a true shot at the world record - go to Kamchatka. They net 100 lb. plus fish up there constantly. For domestic, they say the new world record fish swims in the Kenai every year, just doesn't get caught. I've seen plenty in the 80 range.

#111011 - 04/05/01 02:26 PM Re: World Record Kings
Short_Stick Offline
Alevin

Wow RT!

Can I drive to the Kitimat or is it a fly in river? What time of year did you catch that pig?

#111012 - 04/05/01 08:39 PM Re: World Record Kings
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Kitmat is a drive to river south of Terrace, B.C. It has many good bank spots but is best fished by driftboat. I caught that fish a few years ago in July. They are a little brighter in the second half of June, but still great eating after they turn a bit grey in July. Double digit days were easy back then. The runs there have declined somewhat but are still very good. - RT

#111013 - 04/06/01 04:43 PM Re: World Record Kings
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
100 lbs.?

Now, this fish probably came off a spawning bed! eek

Parker

[ 04-06-2001: Message edited by: parker ]

[ 04-19-2001: Message edited by: RT ]

#111014 - 04/07/01 02:42 AM Re: World Record Kings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Billy, we each kept a big one on another day that trip. A little whiter on the belly, eh? And like the 70 pounder, no big spawning teeth yet wink Not as bright as our big Tillamook fall Kings when they come into the lower rivers though (you saw the STS Tillamook article pics, right? Yes? No?). Lots more fish up your way for sure!

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1432992&a=12489069&p=45955681&Sequence=0[/img]

RT

[ 04-19-2001: Message edited by: RT ]

#111015 - 04/11/01 01:19 AM Re: World Record Kings
SkeenaGuy2 Offline
Egg

Loc: Terrace BC
One Time in band camp..............ooooppppsss wrong story.
Buddy and I went Fishing today on the Skeena River today smile never got a world record but did manage to hook into 2 very nice Chrome
bumper Springs .. 1 mid 20's and 1 30 something smiley's :P.... but i did see something very big not sure what it was looked like a spring......The Shadow weighed 15lbs though smile

Well I leave that for food for thought and I just Hope the Skeena has a Awesome year for fishing because it doesn't sound like work is gonna be to stable around here this year smile ....damn logging industry

[ 04-10-2001: Message edited by: SkeenaGuy2 ]

#111016 - 04/19/01 06:32 AM Re: World Record Kings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bringing toward the top for new members.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 524 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |