LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111473 - 04/11/01 06:40 AM Awesome Oly Pen! - Big Fish Weight Formula?
Anonymous
Unregistered

From the times I have been up to fish the
Oly Pen, and from looking at the Olympic Mountains from the Space Needle and then from overhead in my brother's small plane, I have been very positively impressed with the OP. But after today, it has risen a big notch up for me; for a some good reasons. ...

Before that though, I'll mention that I bankfished a few spots on the Hoh R. with Marty M. Tuesday; after a short visit with Bob Ball and Fishgal at a launch site. Fishing was a little on the slow side from what we saw and heard. Marty got 2 on eggs; including one in the upper teens. I only floatfished jigs and pink worms today; losing 1 big Hoh brusier when I tried to stop him from going under a submerged branch. Bob's driftboat went 4 for 7 today. It's a great river - and of course would be better w/o netting. But ...

... the best fishing experience I've had since fishing B.C. late last summer happened this evening after Marty and I split from the Hoh to head home. I drove way up one of the trophy steelhead rivers I hadn't explored yet; from 5:00 p.m. to sunset around 7:30. The 2 fish I landed up there certainly were part of the great experience,
but it was the lack of any people and the best scenery I've seen yet up close on the outer OP that made this really special! The deep pristine pools of the large river were crytal clear, with just a perceptable bluish hue; despite significant rainfall this day. The snow covered peaks were right in the backdrop beyond the river. Marty brought the camera for the day and, oh man, do I wish I had brought mine to take pics up this awesome mountain valley. This was just like fishing in northern B.C.! And 3 hard bobber downs and 2 hooked and landed in a saweeet pristine steelhead holder was the icing. The second one was about 13 lbs. It's the first one I need help with because it was the biggest steelhead I've caught in years. It looked to be in the low 20's because it was so thick! I left my vest in the truck with a tape measure in it; only brought a baggie of jigs and floats down to the river. So after holding the played out big buck tailed upside down to calm it, I measured it with my fishing rod; butt cap to mud mark. Then I used my 2 hands (9 1/4" handspan = 18 1/2") and couldn't get them around this thick long fish. It must have had a 20" girth. I tape measured the length mark at 39 1/8". I haven't measured many fish and haven't landed a big steelie for a long time, so I don't have the weight formula to use. I am suprised it's girth to be slightly more than half it's length. Is this common for native OP steelhead? If somebody knows the accurate formula for the weight please post it for me. Thanks much. Both fish were a bit crisom and greyish but still light on the belly and great fighters in good condition. This combo of scenery, fish, and solitude put me in paradise for a couple hours!!! And made up big time for a fall in the Hoh earlier in the day, getting me wet throughout. smile - RT

#111474 - 04/11/01 06:59 AM Re: Awesome Oly Pen! - Big Fish Weight Formula?
RKB Offline
Alevin

Loc: Richland WA.
OK RT you the man I might have a lead on those pink worms for 2.63$ per bag will let you know.RON smile

#111475 - 04/11/01 07:15 AM Re: Awesome Oly Pen! - Big Fish Weight Formula?
ramstrong Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Glenside, PA USA
RT plugging your #'s into bob's handy conversion table your steelhead came out to 20.18064516129032 lbs. If you go to the reports page there's the handy dandy convertometer (that's technical talk) have fun playing around with it. That's a nice steelhead 6 1/2 lbs bigger than my biggest so far. Now it's time to start putting a hurt on the springers.

-Ryan

Chicks dig the floppy ears.

ramstrong@hotmail.com

#111476 - 04/11/01 08:52 AM Re: Awesome Oly Pen! - Big Fish Weight Formula?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey RKB, didn't you hear about me cleaning one Forks store out of all 17 bags of their 4 inchers yesterday? Sorry if you needed any of those Bob wink . ...

Thanks for the figures Ryan. I'm trying to remember here, I think ... ah ... oh ya, it was 49 1/8" long laugh . Nah, but dang; my own record is 20.5 lbs. and this one was 20.2 lbs. by formula. Thought I had it beat by a little. In 30 years of serious fishing why can't I catch a monster in the mid-20's like so many seemed to have done. Oh that's right. Most of that was in Oregon and our fish aren't quite as big. Less net marks though.

#111477 - 04/11/01 09:41 AM Re: Awesome Oly Pen! - Big Fish Weight Formula?
flickyourjig Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Saxon,wa.
stealie equasion

#111478 - 04/11/01 09:46 AM Re: Awesome Oly Pen! - Big Fish Weight Formula?
flickyourjig Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Saxon,wa.
two formulas I use for steelies. girth times girth times length divided by 775 or 796 wink

#111479 - 04/11/01 12:22 PM Re: Awesome Oly Pen! - Big Fish Weight Formula?
Hugh Heffner Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Playboy mansion
RT,

Don't forget the easy way to measure fish in 6" increments..........with a dollar bill wink

I'm happy to hear that you got a 20+er and hopefully that big steelie will hold you over until next year when I'll put you into another one you know where wink That is, if the state gives us our C & R seasons back up here on the hush and the shhhh rolleyes

I have two sewing tapes in my boat, one in my vest, and one in my car. This way I always have a way to measure fish since 20+er's are getting rarer and rarer. When fishing is hot, I wear one around my neck for easy access, baby eek

#111480 - 04/11/01 05:21 PM Re: Awesome Oly Pen! - Big Fish Weight Formula?
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

RT,

Nice fish.

To answer your question of girth in proportion to length; it's not uncommon. The O.P strain collectively can produce some real footballs.

Recently on a grays harbor river,I had a buck that mirrored your measurements and a hen that was 38 inches with a girth pushing 20 inches!!
Absolutely beautiful fish caught the same day. When the planets line up around here it can make for some truly exceptional fishing.

#111481 - 04/11/01 05:58 PM Re: Awesome Oly Pen! - Big Fish Weight Formula?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Justin,

RT was going to use the "dollar bill" method, until he reached in his pocket and the only thing there was a receipt for 20 packs of pink worms laugh

Fish on........

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#111482 - 04/11/01 06:06 PM Re: Awesome Oly Pen! - Big Fish Weight Formula?
Hugh Heffner Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Playboy mansion
LMAO!!!

Dan you hit the nail on the head!! laugh

#111483 - 04/11/01 07:09 PM Re: Awesome Oly Pen! - Big Fish Weight Formula?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Justin, speaking of hitting the nail on the head ... I do have one thing I ALWAYS carry with me, but it can only measure fish up to 8 lbs. laugh laugh laugh

#111484 - 04/12/01 12:02 AM Re: Awesome Oly Pen! - Big Fish Weight Formula?
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR

#111485 - 04/12/01 12:09 AM Re: Awesome Oly Pen! - Big Fish Weight Formula?
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
Please just dont hire any of the O'neils. They just love to boat race! laugh Me too laugh . Does anybody know what there problem is? I ran into the youngest on the river this weekend.

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#111486 - 04/12/01 06:12 AM Re: Awesome Oly Pen! - Big Fish Weight Formula?
Anonymous
Unregistered

WR, the upper Q closed to fishing on 3/31, but it is pretty up that way too - just not as many fish get all the way up thru that big lake to the upper river there. The west side OP is full of suprises, including smaller tributaries that have many huge steelies in them. It is a great place to explore. Oh, and the Olympic National Park protection of the old growth forests are really cool to look at. Lots of huge tall cedar (I think) trees and nature's moss decorated coatings and wild ferns, etc., etc. Just rad! smile

RT

#111487 - 04/12/01 01:36 PM Re: Awesome Oly Pen! - Big Fish Weight Formula?
ReiterRat Offline
Gearhead

Loc: Snohomish, WA
RT, Way to go on catching that big bruiser of a lifetime.Thats's a nice fish.Some of those big ones can be tough get get to move for an offering in those cold OP rivers.BTW what was the water temperature?

#111488 - 04/12/01 08:40 PM Re: Awesome Oly Pen! - Big Fish Weight Formula?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi RR, and thanks.

Let's see ... the water temperature was ... hmmm ...trying to remember the exact reading .... ah, COLD. But not too cold. smile ... Looking forward to meeting you sometime. - Steve

#111489 - 04/13/01 12:11 AM Re: Awesome Oly Pen! - Big Fish Weight Formula?
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Quote:
Originally posted by ReiterRat:
Some of those big ones can be tough get get to move for an offering in those cold OP rivers.BTW what was the water temperature?

laugh Every once in a while, one of us gets to know the water temperature more intimately then we would like. cool

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
crappieking, steelheadpimpjuice
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1216 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |