Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111871 - 04/16/01 04:00 PM Chehalis springers
IMHOOKEDINTHETAIL Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: greys harbor
Hey,

Just wondering if any of you went out and tried for springers on the chehalis today. I heard they open it up. Thinking about going out wensday, any idea on what I should expect. Are most of you just trolling herring, any suggestion would be great.

Thanks

#111872 - 04/16/01 05:54 PM Re: Chehalis springers
Anonymous
Unregistered

let me know how you do or if you hear or see anything caught, thanks.

#111873 - 04/16/01 09:51 PM Re: Chehalis springers
steely slammer Offline
Three Time Spawner

i drove around and looked today on three boat launchs only two or three trailers around on each.Did talk to a guy who was taking out and he said he didnt even have a bite.He said he was trolling herring I dont think there is alot of fish in the Chehalis but you never know.

mainly region 6

#111874 - 04/17/01 12:11 AM Re: Chehalis springers
greg Offline
Smolt

Loc: fort lewis, wa 98433
We fished the stretch from Porter to Montesano (mouth of the Satsop) this morning (plugs and spoons), and didn't even touch a fish, or see any roll. Kinda makes you wonder why they bothered to open it early, huh? rolleyes

#111875 - 04/17/01 10:54 AM Re: Chehalis springers
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
First they have to get past the Quinalt's nets....what ever's left we get mad ...Os

#111876 - 04/17/01 12:30 PM Re: Chehalis springers
Ihookum Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Rochester WA
Be carefull with this fishery. Anglers need to remember that this a 100% native run. The pressure and harvest that the the Chehalis could recieve might be enough to do damage to future returns. Use sence and treat it like a native steelhead opener on the OP.

Also, I'm confused. On the WDFW web page they listed the escapement numbers and the harvest goals for the Chehalis. These numbers are close to the escapement goals on the Cowlitz and the Lewis. Yet they closed one of these rivers down and they cut the retention number in half on the other. Why did they open this river at all? and its an all native fishery!!! I asked an ole timer that I work with and he said it was so the state could give the tribes a net season. He commented that if they close sport they close tribal season and would be in violation of treaty laws. Is this true? and can someone please show me the light on this subject????

#111877 - 04/17/01 02:07 PM Re: Chehalis springers
Godlike Offline
Fry

Loc: Lacey
Fished the opener on Monday. We were all by ourselves. You won't believe what my partner landed! We were anchored above our favorite hole using K-14s with sardine scent. His rod buckled and the fight was on. 20 minutes later we finally got a look at it. It was a beautiful 73" sturgeon. What a stud fish! It was as bright and strong as any estuary fish I have taken. For those of you who have had the good fortune of landing an oversize sturgeon I am sure that you can appreciate the battle. Try it some time with a backbouncing steelhead rod and 14lb. mono in 5-8 feet of fast moving water with the occasional stump and brush pile in the way.
YAAAAAHOOOOOOO! Ran the river from Fuller bridge to Cosmopolis. No signs of any springer activity at all. Very disapointing!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 926 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |