LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#112259 - 04/22/01 07:22 PM Do realy known the Cowlitz?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
How many readers of this BB want to known more about fishing access on the Cowlitz? Do any of you know about a huge secret public fishing area located below I-5 freeway on the Cowlitz?

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook?????

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#112260 - 04/22/01 07:30 PM Re: Do realy known the Cowlitz?
Anonymous
Unregistered

ive seen a bunch of plunkers below the ramp at I-5

#112261 - 04/22/01 07:37 PM Re: Do realy known the Cowlitz?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

dogsalmon,

This not the area that you see when you are driving down I-5 going south. This area has been keep secret for way to long!

Cowlitzfisherman

#112262 - 04/22/01 07:42 PM Re: Do realy known the Cowlitz?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i know you can see alot of the river near longview and castle rock, is it below that ?

#112263 - 04/23/01 10:50 AM Re: Do realy known the Cowlitz?
K B Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Woodinville WA
I looked on a map and it did not show anything. confused

#112264 - 04/23/01 04:39 PM Re: Do realy known the Cowlitz?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cowlitzfisherman, yes we would like to know. Unless it's really super good and uncrowded, then just e-mail me about it laugh . Nah, jk. I've posted when I became a moderator here that a good general BB philosophy is to help each other out with fishing reports about larger well known rivers; especially put n take hatchery fisheries such as the Cow - regardless of what some say about the remote possibilities of re-building true nate fish populations there. As for the smaller and less known rivers, especially if they have good nate numbers, I would prefer they not get reported about in a large public forum. Thanks CF. Appeciate it! - Steve (RT)

#112265 - 04/23/01 05:44 PM Re: Do realy known the Cowlitz?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

O.K. RT,

This is a spot that should have been made known by WDFW and the Friends of the Cowlitz many years ago. It is probably the largest pubic fishing area on the lower Cowlitz that is own by WDFW. It is located off Mandy road about 2 miles below the I-5 Bridge on Mandy road (just off Jackson Hwy}. It is locally referred to as the "Wallaces Gravel Pits". Friends of the Cowlitz used to rear and release steelhead from the large gravel ponds that are located in the rock pits.

For years the Wallaces have attempted to keep people and fishermen out by posting "no Trespassing" signs right in front of the WDFW easement that enters his gravel pit. The easement runs straight down to a scale weighing stack and then runs straight to the Cowlitz River. During the 1996 floods part of the dirt road was washed away and I don't know if has been repaired yet.

Boaters know the area as "Vader flats or the Vader Pump house". The easement goes to a large area for parking and then runs South along the Cowlitz River for a long distance (about 3/4 of a mile) the Wallace's have wanted to trade this priceless fishing easement with WDFW for many years but have yet to succeed.

From time to time, the Wallace's will close the large boom gate that leads to the easement. The only problem with that is it's not legal! The easement must remain open at all times. I have been told by WDFW to call Mr. Ray Croswell at 1-360-906- 6721 and report it if you find that they have blocked the easement road. This also might be a good person to ask for copies of the entire easement. It may cost you a few dollars, but think of the pleasure you may get if someone tells you to "get the hell out".

This area is an excellent area to fish for summer run steelhead. The boats also know that but we all must get along together. The guides have hammered this area for years with great success. I would advise who ever wants to fish the area to first get a copy of the easement map. The entrance is located in the sharp bend of Mandy road next to a cattle barn and gravel pit entrance. This would be a good one for WDFW to remark with flages and stakes. Good luck!

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook?????

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
cordoge, CORKE, FISHRIGHT, LoweDown, minirex, RDK
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 316 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63785 Topics
645442 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |