Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#113266 - 05/07/01 12:08 AM Float fishing survey
First Bite Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: OR
Years ago when I started fishing for Steelhead and Salmon I used the conventional drift fishing techniques a majority of the time. Over the years I've since switched over to float fishing and have found my success ratio has increased dramatically. I still like to drift fish for Steelhead on occasion but I find myself looking forward to picking up my float rod. The first floats I used for Steelhead were the round corks with the orange pegs jammed into the top. I've tried several other floats including sliding and fixed floats and some of them worked okay while others worked marginal at best. For me I've found corks to work best for Steelhead. When I fish jigs, I like to have the most natural presentation possible. Corks allow me to mend my line without affecting the jig and also when I reach the end of my drift, I like to swing the jig through the tailout. Some Thill floats immediately submerge under water when you retrieve them. Corks have enough weight to cast long distances and for really low water conditions they don't spook the fish like some of the bright red floats do. Especially when you're retrieving the float.
When it comes to Salmon fishing I like a sliding Thill float. I'll use the large 6" balsa float with a 1 or 2-oz cannon ball lead weight. This way I can fish depths of 12 feet or deeper.
So to all you float fisherman out there, what is your choice of float and why?
Mark

www.firstcastjigs.com

Nobody makes a tougher jig...PERIOD!

#113267 - 05/07/01 01:30 AM Re: Float fishing survey
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
I use a sliding foam dink float with a bobber stop. I like being able to adjust the depth on the fly by just sliding the bobber stop. They're very easy to read while in water, and they only cost about a buck each.

#113268 - 05/07/01 01:58 AM Re: Float fishing survey
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
Float fisherman = Downrigger fisherman! Nuff said!

#113269 - 05/07/01 02:09 AM Re: Float fishing survey
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not enough said SalmonTackler ... you are either jesting or might be a doughball if you think negative of floatfishing! smile ...

I really like the natural round corks too, for all the reasons Mark mentioned. I also like the foam 'dink' floats for egg fishing like 'Fly does. The Thill torpedo sliders (as I call them) with the simulated wood is hard to beat for an all-around float; but I like the corks better for low clear water. ...

I've been working on a float that looks exactly like a tiny little duckling, for stealth affect during gin clear spring time water. In early tests the problem is that larger fish come up and engulf the fake duckling float. Back to the drawing boards?

[ 05-06-2001: Message edited by: RT 1 ]

#113270 - 05/07/01 02:32 AM Re: Float fishing survey
OregonBankie Offline
Parr

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon, USA
I use the Super Float SF-225W. This is a styrofoam red/white bobber about he size of an egg, with about a 4 inch hollow plastic shaft. I remove the weight typically attached at the bottom so the bobber has almost no weight. This bobber sits vertically when fishing, and is very sensitive to anything going on at your hook end. It works better than a round bobber, which sits the same way on the water wheter your hook is on the bottom or off to the side or whatever. Any tilt in the bobber's action tells you someting. For steelhead, I jam a twig or toothpick into the tube and cast weighted marabou jigs. For salmon, I setup it up for sliding to the predetermined depth using a bobber stopper on the line.

It's colors might spook fish, but that's a risk I'm taking in order to use the best bobber I've found. If it came in *clear* finish, it would be perfect.

#113271 - 05/07/01 08:23 AM Re: Float fishing survey
dumy Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: lacey
thill cigars for me the slip in and out. the corks make too much noise for me. for stealth i just magic marker the bright colors black. for draging bait you cant beat a dink. and when things are crystal i buble bob it. float fishing rocks. with out it i would still be catching less than 20 fish a year.

#113272 - 05/07/01 10:28 AM Re: Float fishing survey
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
First off.... Salmontackler a dough-ball mad madI think not!!!!!! ..Keiths a great guy.
Just because he does not follow float guys like me or legends like you and Mark rolleyes

I'm using a new style float which I will talk about later....and Oh Ya.....Cork floats are for......BlueGill........Os

Silent Approach Jigs .....They say imatation is the best compliment rolleyes

[ 05-07-2001: Message edited by: The Reel Osprey ]

#113273 - 05/07/01 10:55 AM Re: Float fishing survey
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
lets see here, floatfishing, I would say I am pretty well versed in this field so I will pop off on this one. first of all for jig fishing normal winter steelhead conditions or summer conditions on larger rivers I like to use the wieghted styrofoam peg floats, the ones with the peg so you just slide it on your line, tie your jig on and set the depth with the peg. Kind of like snapping the line in a downrigger release.
For lower water or smaller streams you can not beat the round cork floats with a peg because they are very stealthy and simple to use.They also work great for blugills on my lake don't they osprey.
For fishing bait whether it is eggs or shrimp you use the dink float, that is what it was designed for, bait fishing, not jig fishing!
Peace Superfly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#113274 - 05/07/01 03:45 PM Re: Float fishing survey
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I'll tell you what if there is a legend in bobber and jig fishing it's Mark Anderson. I have had the pleasure of fishing with Mark several times and the guy is amazing. His jigs are not a copy of ANYONES!!!! mad I've fished with RT also and he ain't bad either and I'm sure that everyone who fishes with him would agree! If Salmontackler was putting down jig fishing then he is a doughball.

#113275 - 05/07/01 04:17 PM Re: Float fishing survey
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
I remember another angler making fun of floats and jigs recently, but I'm sure nobody here is qualified enough to call him a 'doughball'. I believe 'Herzog' was the name of the guy. Anybody here catch enough to call Bill a 'doughball'?

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#113276 - 05/07/01 04:23 PM Re: Float fishing survey
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
Sorry fellas! Just a little ribbing from a Flyfisher. "Bobbers" are obviously a very effect way to fish, ENJOY them. I think I will try some "Strike Indicators" this weekend. LOL

#113277 - 05/07/01 04:40 PM Re: Float fishing survey
Osprey Offline
Spawner

I beleive General Zog used the term "Training Wheels" LOL
rolleyes rolleyes

[ 05-09-2001: Message edited by: The Reel Osprey ]

#113278 - 05/07/01 05:00 PM Re: Float fishing survey
Anonymous
Unregistered

All the other things aside Os Mark DID NOT copy yours or anyone elses worm collar, it's a cheap shot to say that too because you have never met Mark to my knowledge. RT's fishing ability should be unquestioned by you becaue you do know him. I don't know of anyone who could go to a river that they are unfamiliar with and have instant success do you? As far as bobber and jig fishing being easier than say drift fishing? Yeah I would agree with that. The bobber going down definately takes a lot of the guess work out of the bite. You still have to know how to read water though and that's one of the tougher parts of steelhead fishing. www.firstcastjigs.com

#113279 - 05/07/01 05:38 PM Re: Float fishing survey
Osprey Offline
Spawner

For the record I question everything Rt does wink more fun that way :p

Imatation is still the best compliment.....I'm flattered rolleyes

Silent Approach Jigs .........Os

[ 05-09-2001: Message edited by: The Reel Osprey ]

#113280 - 05/07/01 06:07 PM Re: Float fishing survey
FishCatcher Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Lacey, WA
I used to just drift fish but found float fishing to be very effective. I now carry a drift rod and float rod. I prefer to use a thill slip float because I can read the depth easier than a cork. I still use cork bobbers when fishing in a crowd. That way I don't have to listen to people whine that they can't mend over a slip float especially Blue Creek.

#113281 - 05/07/01 06:29 PM Re: Float fishing survey
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ooh.....gosh I guess I'd better not incure the wrath of the great Osprey. rolleyes
We'll to put and end to this Os and I guess we'll just disagree. I will continue to defend my friends though when their integrity is questioned.

[ 05-07-2001: Message edited by: Steelhead Stew ]

#113282 - 05/07/01 07:32 PM Re: Float fishing survey
First Bite Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: OR
How did this go from a fishing float survey to a judging of character???

Osprey you KNOW that I haven't copied any ideas from ANYONE. I have personally been in touch with Silent Approach and Roger KNOWS that my designs are exclusive to First Cast Jigs. Enough said.
Mark

www.firstcastjigs.com

[ 05-07-2001: Message edited by: STLHDR ]

Nobody makes a tougher jig...PERIOD!

#113283 - 05/07/01 08:15 PM Re: Float fishing survey
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
Legend Huh, well If someone is going to say someone is a legend or great at this then I definately need to pop off once again. To Stew, I showed R.T a couple of my techniches
for float fishing this year, and he actually caught fish on them. I am not just talking bobber and jig fishing. Bobber and jig fishing is absolutley the easiest way to catch steelhead, and thank god for the person who started doing it. When ever I take new people or beginners I put a float and a jig on there rod. Mark has just worked on it more than the average guy and picks his spots on where to fish it. I have taken float fishing farther I believe because I have come up with techniches for slow water , fast water and all kinds of various conditions as well as from different types of boats. You have to be flexible and brave enough to try different things, like in any kind of fishing. But at the same time be succesful or you are no different from the next doughball.
Peace Superfly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#113284 - 05/07/01 09:00 PM Re: Float fishing survey
Anonymous
Unregistered

So Joe what are your fast water techniques?
I need all the help I can get! I'm only a legend in my own mind. BTW RT always speaks well of you.

#113285 - 05/07/01 09:23 PM Re: Float fishing survey
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can edit too. Os and I kissed and made up. eek Which is cool but I went thru a whole bottle of mouthwash after the kiss. Yuk! ... Os is a good man.

-------------
RT
Laundry Room Supervisor
Sauk River Steelhead Ranch

Ocean Pacific Pro Staff

[ 05-11-2001: Message edited by: RT 1 ]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
ET, kbrain57, OLYBEAV
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 560 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |