Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#113447 - 05/10/01 03:45 PM Vibrax Spinner questions
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
For those that fish Vibrax Spinners, sizes 1-4, for summer steelies, what do you do with the stock hooks?

Do you keep them on, replace them with better trebbles, or replace them with single siwash, or something completely different?

By far, not a "Jed Davis" when it comes to tossing spinners at summer steelies. Could use all the help or advice you're willing to give.

Thanks,

#113448 - 05/10/01 04:06 PM Re: Vibrax Spinner questions
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Park,

I use them quite a bit in the summer for steel, plus for silvers in the fall.

I replace the trebles with a single siwash, whether that's the regs or not, at least most the time.

I hook as many fish with the single, and get hung up about 1/3 as much as with the treble. Obviously, they're a lot easier to get out of a fish's mouth

BTW, stopped by the Icicle yesterday while working up at my cabin. Didn't fish, but saw the Yakamas doing pretty well at the fish ladder, with a few caught by the drifters below the hatchery and ten or twelve by boaters. Looks like they're doing the same old "anchor in Icicle and launch fifty yard casts into the Wenatchee" at the mouth.

River is pretty low, though not as low as I thought. The Wenatchee is up pretty high,
too.

Fish on...

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#113449 - 05/10/01 04:20 PM Re: Vibrax Spinner questions
FISHNBRAD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton,WA
Parker, I also use siwash on my spinners , I like the hook penetration I get with them, less snaggy and they are faster and easier to keep sharpened to my liking. You can also add extra gismos to the siwash that you can't add to a trebble

#113450 - 05/10/01 04:22 PM Re: Vibrax Spinner questions
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Gismos????? I like gismos! What sort of gismos do you put on the siwash?

Also, what size siwash are you using for the 1's, 2's, 3's, and 4's?

[ 05-10-2001: Message edited by: parker ]

#113451 - 05/10/01 04:57 PM Re: Vibrax Spinner questions
FISHNBRAD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton,WA
Little gismos like a little pinky or maybe a swirl tail maybe, or any assortment of rubber products.

on a #3 vibrax I use a 1/0, #4 2/0 #5 3/0 and so on. Good luck on your trip up north. I,m heading that way at the end of the month, I'll give you a report when I get back.

#113452 - 05/10/01 05:05 PM Re: Vibrax Spinner questions
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

I don't get to go up North until late July. I'd love to do the Kasilof in May! That bank-action, regardless of how it's done, sounds like a lot of fun!

Oh well, looks like I'll have to settle for that 85 pounder Bob promised me!

Thanks for the info!

#113453 - 05/10/01 09:06 PM Re: Vibrax Spinner questions
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
Jed Davis might say you should try a spinner with a heavier body and blade than a Vibrax, to cast farther, get down deep, and to feel the pulse of the blade better. MorTac <http://www.mortac.com/> still sells those type of components if you want to build your own, and in some stores, you can still find the assembled spinners, I forget the name of the company that bought out PenTac, but I found some complete spinners recently out here on the Peninsula... I really like the feel of them.

-N.

#113454 - 05/10/01 10:59 PM Re: Vibrax Spinner questions
FASTWATER Offline
Spawner

Loc: Place's you only dream about
Vibrax in Drano on Sunday went four for four on single siwash hookups were hard to get out of the fish need I say more ???? :p

#113455 - 05/11/01 11:01 AM Re: Vibrax Spinner questions
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
The trebles are a biaaatch to snip off, I too replace them with a siwash. Too bad they dont make them with a single. Kinda like buying a new baitdiver and coloring it black-they should make a few of them, as well. confused

#113456 - 05/11/01 11:35 AM Re: Vibrax Spinner questions
ramstrong Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Glenside, PA USA
They do make Vibrax with singles, I think that's all I could find when I was in BC. I bought a bunch of brass 3's with siwash's at the Chilliwack Walmart last fall when I was up there.

Chicks dig the floppy ears.

ramstrong@hotmail.com

#113457 - 05/11/01 01:18 PM Re: Vibrax Spinner questions
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

In reference to your question about these spinners for summer-runs I'll be the odd man out and say leave the trebles on. I use sizes 1-3 for summer-runs. I have found through my experiences that the trebles are strong enough. However, I fish 6-8 lb. test and long, limber rods so bending a hook is not an issue. True, they need a little sharpening out of the box but the size and strength are sufficient. I have had little problem with lost fish due to the hook quality so why make more work for yourself if you don't have to?

Also, if your into releasing fish, stay away from siwash hooks as they do far more damage than trebles.

Just my two cents worth.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
cheaper2buyfish@grocerystore, EastCreek, Guidewest, NeverEnoughPTO
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1179 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |