LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#113881 - 05/17/01 11:56 PM Mor Tac Spinners and Spoons??
bank walker Offline
Spawner

hey all... Just recieved a new Mor Tac catalog and was thinking about ordering some size 4 silver blades for snow run off water and size 3 and 2 black oxide for low water. Has anybody had any succes throwing these spinners and if so what sizes are best for summer run conditions. I guess they also make a spoon (stilly spoons)??

Sounds kinda like a cost efficient way to chuck hardware without spending 4 or 5 bucks for a vibrex which are too darn light anyways for deep water. Is it worth it?

two weeks til June 1 =)
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#113882 - 05/18/01 12:41 AM Re: Mor Tac Spinners and Spoons??
Cruise Control Offline
Fry

Loc: Walla Walla, WA
man, just thought i'd let you know, i do awesome on the mor-tac stilly silver spoons (2/3oz) for winter steelhead! they hammer the crap out of them! As far as summer fish would go, i would suggest maybe the size 2 or 3 black oxide spinners when its really sunny, and maybe size 2 or 3 silver bladed ones for early mornings and evenings, and overcast days. (may need to go bigger sometimes depending on water temp and heighth, and clarity)like say though, i think you'll do awesome with these spinners! like i said before, i do awesome with the steelhead with their spoons during the winter, and also with size #2 and 3 spinners during summer-time! they're cheap but effective if ya make them on your own!
also, check out Jed Davis'book "Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Trout and Salmon"! it tells you everything you need to know about summer steelhead, sizes of spinners to use in different situations, to what fish will and won't hit when its 80 degrees outside!-EVERYTHING!!!!!!!! its a great book, Good luck, i hope you do awesome with the Mor-Tacs!
Fish On!

#113883 - 05/18/01 12:44 AM Re: Mor Tac Spinners and Spoons??
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SW Washington
Bankwalker, I use the 3's in black oxide sometimes 4's. When it gets into summer and the summer runs get finicky. I like the black with black body. Then put some purple prism tape on the blade. My favorite spinner has to be brass with some kelly green tape on the back of the blade though.

[ 05-17-2001: Message edited by: Firedog ]

#113884 - 05/18/01 12:56 AM Re: Mor Tac Spinners and Spoons??
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Speaking of black oxide...has anyone compared the effictiveness of the black oxide spoon and spinner components sold by Mor-tac comapred to homemade black oxide spinners and spoons as demonstrated by Bob in his tips sections?

#113885 - 05/18/01 01:40 AM Re: Mor Tac Spinners and Spoons??
B Mac Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Graham,WA, USA
Although I use the black oxide spinners in #2's on small rivers and have done very well, I still prefer to use tarnished brass blades with dark green prism tape on the inside of the blade(see Jed Davis's book for McKenzie Medium). I do just as well if not better with these in gin clear water.

#113886 - 05/18/01 11:52 AM Re: Mor Tac Spinners and Spoons??
bank walker Offline
Spawner

Right on, i'll give em a shot. I read Jed Davis's book a while ago. CruiseC, i also ordered a few Spoons. I have a feeling this is going to be a good summer! Thanks for the info guys.

><>
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#113887 - 05/18/01 02:12 PM Re: Mor Tac Spinners and Spoons??
NWaddict Offline
Smolt

Loc: Oregon
I just bought an assortment of their stilly spooons a few months ago. I've already had some good success with them. I don't think their is any spoon maker out their who makes an oval-style spoon (one of the the most effective all-around shapes according to herzog) with such quality finishes as mortac. You can get them in genuide silver, copper, brass, and gold finishes. Most companies only have chrome/nickel and/or brass to choose from. And we all know that all three of those finishes absorb more light than both silver and gold. I never have been much for fishing spinners but I think I might have to order some components and give them a shot this summer on the deschutes.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1026 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645362 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |