LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#114572 - 06/01/01 05:06 PM Driftboat and Sled traffic conflict solutions (re-visited)
Anonymous
Unregistered

As ever more boating traffic is congesting marginally sized rivers, such as the Wynoochee River, the conflicts are getting worse; including with the bank anglers. This subject got raised in the "Hey RT 1" thread (a reponse to a question I asked). I think it's a worthy subject for discussion in a specific thread of it's own. This was my post on the subject (more to come):

Baitslinger and BK, you are right on about the jetsled wakes; especially the flatbottom ones - they make a much bigger wake going slow, and also are in your hole much longer. I can't understand why some boaters on anchor can't see that. The ones that flip you off for just passing thru are shortsighted doughballs. As for the fish, some may get spooked briefly and others get energized and take it out on your lure. As I mentioned though, I do think there is a point at which sleds should not be used. In the case of the 'Nooch and other marginally sized rivers with lots of traditional driftboat and bankfisher pressure they should not go up there. If they want to fish those type rivers then stay down low where it's wider to avoid conflict and potential boating accidents, and leave the upper area pristine atmosphere in better condition. Same applies to such as the lower Satsop and Kalama (unless they put up a motor ban on the Kalama?). Fortunately, motors were banned several years ago on Oregon's coastal rivers above the Hwy. 101 areas. If they hadn't I am sure many selfserving guys would just push the envelope on up small rivers such as the Wilson and Trask to buzz up and start fishing on down just below the driftboaters. Not a good thing for the river bank erosion and gravel disturbance in such small rivers - and yes, not even ethical in light of the narrow passing lanes and long driftboat tradition there. ... Solution suggestions? ...

RT

#114573 - 06/01/01 07:51 PM Re: Driftboat and Sled traffic conflict solutions (re-visited)
Ratherbfishin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bainbridge Island, WA USA
It would be great if sleds would voluntarily keep lower down on the rivers, or out of the small fragile rivers. It would be great if everyone released wild fish..it would be great if the netters didn't take so many...

I imagine that like Oregon, only no-motor bans will protect the more fragile areas. As for the problem with sleds vs. drifters vs. bankers in areas that are otherwise not harmed by the motors, well we all have to put up with each other. I can only be responsible for how I act, not the other guy. The only solution I know of is to act responsible and polite and hope it catches on.

#114574 - 06/01/01 08:29 PM Re: Driftboat and Sled traffic conflict solutions (re-visited)
SnagMagnet Offline
Parr

Loc: Boise, Idaho
NOW>>>NOW.... Being a motorhead at heart, I hope your not implieing to shut down more rivers to sled access! Idiots come in many different forms. You have dumbas*es in all forms wether it be a banker,drifter,floater,kayaker, or sleder! If you have a responsible sleder you know you have the power, just try not to upset others space. The 4X4 term (TREAD LIGHTLY) apply's here. We had a banker bounce his lead off the bow of our boat last year in Orifino . We saw him...it was deep enough to slow down and bring it off step... We did and as soon as we where right in front of him he casted. NO sorry.... No opps..... Just a dirty look. Just to remind everybody here.... We all own these waters.... rolleyes

#114575 - 06/01/01 09:15 PM Re: Driftboat and Sled traffic conflict solutions (re-visited)
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
I can say I'm on all sides of this debate at one time or another. I'll first say Snagmagnet, it's not that ethical sledders themselves make it better in the upper rivers. It's just that these rivers are way too small with alot of blind corners to be heading full tilt up the channel. I own a sled, and know you can't just kick it at low power up a low, narrow, channel. No control and will be eating rocks through your impeller. I keep my sled in the bigger rivers (such as the Chehalis) and the mouths of smaller rivers (such as Wynoochee, Satsop, and the Hump). I can easily run up to upper holes on the Nooch (until you hit the spillway), but I leave that for the drifters/bankers (which I am on the upper end only). I've almost been nailed a few times on the Nooch after I hit the spillway. Narrow slots and a sled running full bore. Not a pretty picture, especially if you're in a cataraft.

This is an endless debate. I feel that eventually there will be a ban on upper rivers. May be similar to Oregon, no boats above 101 (which I'd assume they'd say hwy 12 on lower end of peninsula). It only takes a few bad apples to spoil the bunch. Only problem is there's way too many spoiled apples on the river anymore.

As for the wakes. I've had many times where I've been given the dirty look for being on plane running up the Chehalis. Yet, I was waved at for running slow, yet rocking the crap out of the other boats anchored up fishing. Makes no sense to me. Oh well. You can't please everyone all the time. I'd just hate to see a few more accidents like we've had on the Hump the last few years happen and have a COMPLETE shutdown of motorized boats on all tributary rivers. Just think, would you rather have at least the mouth/tidal waters then none at all? All it takes is a few more accidents and that's that.

Just my .02

Northwest River Fisherman

#114576 - 06/02/01 03:45 PM Re: Driftboat and Sled traffic conflict solutions (re-visited)
Ratherbfishin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Snag,
No No, I wasn't implying motors should be banned just 'cause, but I do believe some of the smaller more fragile streams need restrictions on motors, just like some WA lakes have. I am not anti-motor, a buddy of mine can put a motor in his drifter, and it sure makes pluggin go a lot easier!

-rbf

#114577 - 06/02/01 09:36 PM Re: Driftboat and Sled traffic conflict solutions (re-visited)
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
Here is a solution. Here in Oregon you have to have a power boat license to operate a power boat with 10 horsepower or more. You have to pass a test to get it. I think the license is a great idea. The test is fairly easy to pass. I feel the test should cover more, Like the rules of the road. I also think there should be a seperate test if you are going to use the boat on a river. I also feel the any and every boater should have to have a license, Including sail and row boats. make the license harder to get by making people take a class. Have the test cover boating ethics as well as safetey and navigation. This would educate people and keep a lot of doughballs of the river because there are some people that are too stupid to even walk out on the rivers in boats. Make the license revokable for infractions of safetey and rules of the road violations. I bet that would put a stop to a lot of conflicts.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, Excitable Bob), 903 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |