THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#114698 - 06/04/01 07:24 PM Signs of metalheads in Green River?
HSL Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle
Any steelies in the Green yet? Thanks all.

#114699 - 06/04/01 07:43 PM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
spoonman Offline
Parr

Loc: kent,wa
3 on saturday 1 was a hatchery more to come on tuesday

#114700 - 06/05/01 01:13 AM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
Curt Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn,Wa
what green are we talking about?

FISH ON!!!

[ 06-04-2001: Message edited by: curt ]

#114701 - 06/05/01 01:39 AM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
Rivernut Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hit the green today. No steel to speak of, only cutts. We need some more water.
Tightlines.

#114702 - 06/05/01 08:59 AM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
godzilla Offline
Alevin

Loc: kent .wa
yes, there are steel in the green I was with the
spoonman when he got 3 of them one at a time
talk about geting me mad oh well I guess it just wasn't my day.

:p I'll get him next time, last year was great
this year will be even better.

See you out on the river.

#114703 - 06/05/01 11:11 AM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
berkley boy Offline
Fry

Loc: edgewood,wa usa
where were you guys fishing on the green? i saw people fishing up river from the highway 18 bridge, not sure what they were fishing for tho..**berkley boy**

#114704 - 06/05/01 11:32 AM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
Anonymous
Unregistered

They clean that log cluster up, by the brick house hole yet?

#114705 - 06/05/01 05:37 PM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
Fished the Green this morning below the golf course, hooked 3 and landed 7 and 10 pound chrome hens on a pink/lt. pink jig.

#114706 - 06/05/01 06:20 PM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
spoonman Offline
Parr

Fished this morning only got one today but very nice hatchery 12-13Lb. The people at the hatchery must have been clip happy because both his dorsal fin and adipose were clipped.

Spoonman 4 godizilla 0

#114707 - 06/06/01 11:23 AM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
berkley boy Offline
Fry

hey jigman, i usually fish up above the log jam and you mentioned a golf course, would that be the one over in kent, river greens golf course? thanks for any reply..**berkley boy**

#114708 - 06/06/01 07:23 PM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
Jigman Offline
Spawner

It's the Auburn golf course.

#114709 - 06/06/01 09:23 PM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Anybody know if the Muckleshoots are netting summerruns in the Green this year. Nothing like fishing behind their nets! Glad to hear a few of you are finding fish.

#114710 - 06/06/01 09:30 PM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
godzilla Offline
Alevin

What the hell, the green just open'ed and the
nets are in mad there one in Kent at Meeker and one below the Hwy 167 bridge. I caught one this morning it looked like it went through hell. With the water levels getting lower the nets are going to get closer to the fish and take more than half of the river. confused I would like to know where I can get a set of Indian regulations????

Spoonman 4 Godzilla 1 (catching up!)

PS anyone got a bale of hay I can send down the river? cool

#114711 - 06/06/01 10:18 PM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Unfortunately the indians have been netting summer runs for a number of years now, they usually net through the whole month of June.

#114712 - 06/06/01 11:46 PM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
Anonymous
Unregistered

call 1-800-347-4669 if you wana get sick and puke all over

#114713 - 06/07/01 11:16 AM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
berkley boy Offline
Fry

hey spoonman, im wondering if say it is cloudy, do you use a chrome steelie, and say it is sunny, do use a darker colored steelie or does it matter? i would like to hear your opionin on this matter, thanks for any reply. **berkley boy**

#114714 - 06/07/01 03:00 PM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
FISHTALK2000 Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: EVERETT,WA.USA
Spoonman I to am interested in the spoon color in relation to the day. Silver on gloomy gold on sunny? I've heard a lot of different things on this topic and am curios on your angle? Thanks for the tips.
Robert

#114715 - 06/08/01 01:09 PM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
spoonman Offline
Parr

Most info I use is from "Spoonfishing for Steelhead" by Bill Herzog. Well here is my $.02 on the subject. I usually use 2/5 oz little cleos in gold or copper. If the water is cloudy and I cant see the spoon in 3-4 water depth I try a spoon with red coloring. Can buy them or add red metallic strip. In overcast weather I prefer the copper over the gold but both work. On bright sunny days the little cleos but off too much flash. I always carry a permament black marker pen to dull the flash. Start with a vertical stripe down the convex side. On some days the convex will be completelty black. One other suggestion to really catch fish get Herzog's book.

Good luck

Spoonman 4 Godzilla 1 (ugly one)

#114716 - 06/09/01 09:20 PM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
Being my first season I've fished for summer runs, I've a few questions. Typically, is morning the best time to fish? My best fishing for winter runs was from 11:00am through 4:00pm. I fished the gree this afternoon and never had a bite. Is it even worth fishing after about 1:00?

#114717 - 06/10/01 03:14 AM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
godzilla Offline
Alevin

me and a frind went out to day got 2 hits
water was up made it hard to fish every thing
below. Flaming geyser looked like a zoo.
(JacobF) time doesn't seem to really matter I like to fish in the morning and the spoonman and I will also go in the afternoon and do okay if the fish are around.

spoonman 4 godzilla 1

#114718 - 06/10/01 06:34 PM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
Matt S. Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Northwest
Godzilla, when you said it was like a zoo, do you mean crowded. Just wonderin if it's worth my time to go there.

#114719 - 06/11/01 04:37 AM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
The majority of the people I run into on the Green seem to be targeting trout. I wouldn't have thought it would be a great trout river, but if any of you fish it for trout, how is it?

#114720 - 06/11/01 09:46 AM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
godzilla Offline
Alevin

(jacobf)YA THE GREEN'S OK FOR TROUT WHEN IT'S ME AND MY KID. WE START IN KENT AND WORK OUR WAY TO AUBURN. WE USE WORMES MOST OF THE DAY. WHEN IT JUST ME AND OR A FREND I GO AFTER THE STEELIES! AND SALMON IN OCTOBER.

(STURZA)YA THAT'S WHAT I MENT ALOT OF PEOPLE
DONT LIKE TO WORK FOR THE FISH SO FLAMING GEYSER HAS A LOT OF EASY ACCESS I'M NOT SAYING IT'S BAD FISHERY ITS JUST ALOT OF PEOPLE GO THERE IN JUNE AND JULY. I'VE CAUGHT QUITE A FEW OUT OF THERE MYSELF.

SEE YOU ON THE RIVER

laugh

#114721 - 06/11/01 12:26 PM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
HSL Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle
Question: Are the people who are "targeting trout" actually fishing for resident rainbows -- or are they fishing for steelhead smolts?

[ 06-11-2001: Message edited by: HSL ]

#114722 - 06/11/01 12:52 PM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
spoonman Offline
Parr

HSL my belief that most people fishing for trout are actually catching steelhead or salmon smolts. I never target trout/smolt expect on the fly pole when the water is low and steelheading is tough. The death rate is very low with this techique. I'm not a fish biologist but I tell the difference between a salmon,steelhead, and resident trout smolt by there appearance. Most of the fish I catch with the fly are steelhead smolts over resident trout. I usually fish the upper green. I believe that the lower green has more resident trout. I don't have the regs in front of me but think "trout" must be 12 or 14 inches. It is kinda scary to think how many steelhead smolts are probably being killed a find legal "trout". I wish that they would prohibit using bait on the green to help the fishery. Probably pissed some people off oh well just my $.02

#114723 - 06/12/01 09:34 PM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
Rivernut Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Does anyone else think that mabey the "zoo" can be created from this BB?
Anyone who has fished in this state for some time already knows when to hit our rivers. This is learned from going out fishing and talking with other anglers. Having someone show you the ropes. Or reading books on the subject.
Now days people want things quick and easy. I think anything worth having should be worth working for.
Should we be telling every meat hungery person that surfs the net where to go and when?
I have seen people cry fish (bragging) on this BB and river traffic go way up.
I know this sounds like I am pissing and moaning to alot of you out there.
The only people this should offend would be the ones who NEED this BB to find out where and when to fish. Get a life.
Sharphooks,
Rivernut

#114724 - 06/12/01 10:31 PM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
godzilla Offline
Alevin

(Rivernut) I know what you mean but you got to think of it this way I was always taught, feed a man a fish and he will eat for a day and teach a man to fish and he will eat for a life time. Don't forget there are a lot of liars out there telling kids a lot of false information. When I got here 6 years ago, some so called fisherman told me that the Cedar is a great place to fish, not telling me that it was closed. Lucky for me I met another fisherman that had the same fishing skills I had. That helped me a lot. He taught me to fish the rivers, I taught him to fish the ocean, not to make it too long we fishermen have to stick together and weed out the liars and teach are kids right.

PS And pick up their own garbage. If you pack it in pack it out. frown

Fish on for life!!

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: godzilla ]

#114725 - 06/15/01 09:56 AM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
godzilla Offline
Alevin

(spoonman)just went to look to see how
high the water got. it looked bad, most of the
holes were deep becuse of the rain. Saw some fishermen in Auburn but they weren't doing much. I got to smoke some fish for CA today, maybe I'll see you Tue or Thur. I'm going to let the water go down a little. See you on the river.

#114726 - 06/18/01 12:55 PM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
spoonman Offline
Parr

Godzilla,
water is looking good for tomorrow tuesday.
Went camping this weekend up on the Suiattle River with the girlfriend. I hide the fishing pole in the back of the car. I fished for less than hour on three nice holes that I know. Hooked 20lb native springer just beautiful of course forgot the camera as usually.

Spoonman 5 Godzilla 1 (ugly one)

#114727 - 06/18/01 02:50 PM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
WA fisher Offline
Fry

Quote:
Originally posted by spoonman:
HSL my belief that most people fishing for trout are actually catching steelhead or salmon smolts. I never target trout/smolt expect on the fly pole when the water is low and steelheading is tough. The death rate is very low with this techique. I'm not a fish biologist but I tell the difference between a salmon,steelhead, and resident trout smolt by there appearance. Most of the fish I catch with the fly are steelhead smolts over resident trout. I usually fish the upper green. I believe that the lower green has more resident trout. I don't have the regs in front of me but think "trout" must be 12 or 14 inches. It is kinda scary to think how many steelhead smolts are probably being killed a find legal "trout". I wish that they would prohibit using bait on the green to help the fishery. Probably pissed some people off oh well just my $.02

Actually, they seem to be catching a lot of cutthroat in the Green.

#114728 - 06/18/01 03:00 PM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
There are are good number of SRC's that come up the river but, when you see that guy in the slow back eddy just catchin smolt after smolt after smolt well?? If trouts what you want to go after why not go to the snoqualmie above the falls?? Maybe I just don't get it but dont' think so.......

Tight lines

Kevin

SRBC
confused

#114729 - 06/18/01 09:21 PM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
spoonman Offline
Parr

I for the most part only chase steelhead on the upper green. Salmon on the lower green with the rest of the crowds during the peak run. I have only caught a few SRC 20" or so do when fishing for salmon in the fall in the lower green. Do they get much bigger than that? Are specially in search of SRC or happens when trying to catch larger fish? I have caught many steelhead in the upper green but never any Src up there are they mostly in the lower river?

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: spoonman ]

#114730 - 06/24/01 02:09 AM Re: Signs of metalheads in Green River?
fishin magician Offline
Fry

Loc: ENUMCLAW,WA.
To outings 3 fish hooked, 2 landed. One cromer about 10LBS & 2 winter runs. sandshrimp & jenson egg...MR.Adams special spoonboy your a dog and I know it eek eek laugh rolleyes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 972 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |