THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115639 - 06/28/01 06:24 PM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
chumsalmon Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bellingham
I URGE YOU TO NOT GET THE 90 H.P. MOTOR! MY UNCLE JUST BOUGHT THE SAME BOAT YOU HAVE. BY THE TIME HE ADDED A KICKER AND JUST ONE EXTRA GUY THE BOAT WAS WAY UNDER POWERED. CHANGE YOUR MIND GET THE 115!!!!!! HIS IS A TILLER POWERED 90. NOT ENOUGH POWER! THE BOAT OTHERWISE IS GREAT AND I LIKE YOUR CHOICE BUT, GO BACK AND GET THE OTHER MOTOR, YOU WON'T BE SORRY IT WILL ONLY MAKE YOU HAPPY! ALL THE OTHER GUYS ARE RIGHT, GET AS MUCH POWER AS YOU CAN! THE LAST THING YOU WANT TO HAVE HAPPEN IS BE IN A SHORT RUN AND YOU NEED TO GET OUT OF THE HOLE QUICK AND NOT HAVE THE POWER TO DO IT. JUST THOUGHT I'D ADD A LITTLE INSIGHT, HOPE THIS ISN'T TOO LATE!

#115640 - 06/29/01 09:30 AM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
fishbreath Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellingham,WA
Chumsalmon,

Ok, now you got me worried. In fact I had a dream last night that I was in the boat and it was slow to plane! Gosh, maybe I need to get a life! Can you tell me what motor he got? I'm looking at a Merc which has a displacement of 1386 verses the Yamaha's 90 at 1140. I'm putting quite a few bucks into this thing and the last thing I need or want is to come up short handed. Half of the time I fish by myself and the other I fish with only one other guy. I'm sure if I fish with three guys in the boat I'm not going to be happy with the horse power but I don't like playing guide so that should seldom happen. Curious to hear back from you or anyone else with info!

#115641 - 06/29/01 11:31 AM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
chumsalmon Offline
Juvenile at Sea

he has a merc. too! this boat is the exact same one your getting. I've fished in with the two person and three person version. two guys it's o.k., i still think it's underpowered and it REALLY dosen't get up on a plane fast enough, with three guys i thought it was actually kind of pathetic. He likes the motor and i'll admit i like it too, but even he admits he wishes he'd bought a bigger motor, (that takes a lot he never admits anything) hey, were are you buying your boat from? He bought his in oregon, i think it was somewhere near portland, can't remember the name though.

#115642 - 06/29/01 11:42 AM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
fishbreath Offline
Returning Adult

Hey Chumsalmon,

I'm getting the boat from Three Rivers Marina in Woodinville. You've kind of got me nervous now, not sure what to do. I can change my order as the boat won't be built till about July 26th and I don't take delivery till the end of the first week of August. Sure would like to talk with you a bit more!!! Any chance you can email me directly and give me your phone number? I'm going to call 3 rivers today and find out if they would even put the bigger motor on. It's only rated for a 90 so I don't know if they are comfortable putting the bigger jet on.

#115643 - 06/29/01 04:48 PM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
chumsalmon Offline
Juvenile at Sea

hey,
fishbreath, sent you an email, send a reply or give me a call. I'll tell you what i can.

#115644 - 06/29/01 05:10 PM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
backlash2 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Pasco, WA
The regulations(Coast Guard??) state that you can't put a motor over 90hp on boats under 18 ft.. Lots of them running around out there, but I'd be willing to bet it wasn't done at the factory.

On another note...you will find that the same 90hp motor will push an 18 foot boat better than a 16 foot boat. The downside of the boat wieghing an extra 150 lbs. is less than the upside of having 12 square feet more planing surface on the bottom of the boat. It is easier to get the boat on plain, and push it across the water when the weight of the boat is dispersed that much more. Keep the motor, buy a little bigger boat. If you don't believe me, go drive one if you can find one rigged the same...Good luck in your purchase....

#115645 - 06/29/01 06:12 PM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
chumsalmon Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I don't know the rules that well, but is that 90 h.p. rated at the pump or at the power head. you lose a 1/3 of the power on a pump. so your really looking at somewhere around 60 h.p. at the prop. makes me think that is why you see bigger motors than what you say is allowed.

#115646 - 06/29/01 06:58 PM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
chumsalmon Offline
Juvenile at Sea

hey, fishbreath, i see that your homeport is bellingham? You live in bellingham? I ask because i live in bellingham too. Have you fished the nooksack lately?

#115647 - 06/29/01 08:01 PM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
Anonymous
Unregistered

get an 18 footer with the 115 and be happy, also get the power pump with a 4 blade impellar, i owned a 16 foot duckworth with a 90 yamaha, i guarentee you wont be happy, at the very least get an 18 with the 90 and the powerpump jet unit. or just go ride in one like you ordered with a kicker and all the gear in it and see for yourself

#115648 - 06/30/01 01:54 AM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Another strong recommendation,
Depending on what you want to spend, 18' Koffler or thor built with a 150 Yamaha minimum, one of my good buddies had koffler build a 18ft flat bottom and put a 200 yamaha on it, holy sh** hold on!! That thing just screamed, too much power for the flat bottom if you came into corners too hot, you'd be lucky to make them. So he traded that boat back in and put the same motor on a 20ft x 6.5ft wide koffler, now in my eyes that's the ultimate machine! I fish out of a 18ft Koffler with a 6 degree V with a 150 merc. It does very well with three people and good with 4. Room becomes the issue with 4 people though.
Keith

#115649 - 06/30/01 03:16 AM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
tilla Offline
Parr

Loc: Portland
OK so you may have decided what HP motor you want, now do you want the new Stainless Steel impeller!!! Another adder!! But worth it!

#115650 - 06/30/01 09:26 AM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
fishbreath Offline
Returning Adult

#115651 - 06/30/01 09:50 AM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
SnagMagnet Offline
Parr

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Just a question for you guys. Is there any particular reason why you guys are so die hard OUTBOARDERS... Whay not go inbaord?

#115652 - 06/30/01 11:38 AM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
HOGBREATH Offline
Egg

Loc: Warren, Oregon
Fishbreath,

I wouldn't lose sleep over your choice. The guys are right. You can't get enough horsepower when it comes to a jet. My last boat was a Alumaweld 17' SuperVee pro with a 115 Merc. It was plenty of power for 2, but found lacking with 3 in the boat.Should've had a 150.

Your choice however, is a 16' lite. About 400 lb.s lighter and a flatter vee entry into the water than the Pro. The 90 Merc should perform well. My partner has this same setup and it seems very adequate for 2...OK for 3. It planes quicker than my 115 on the pro.

The key here is weight to power ratio. With a smaller boat, the 90 Merc is max power for that engine block series. If you go 115, you jump to the next block size (i.e)more weight on the transom of a smaller sled. The result is poorer performance all around. Slower hole shot and unbalanced cornering. With your built-in fuel tank forward and a 90 on back, you have a well balanced set up. Consider this, when selecting a trolling motor, also. The new 4 strokes are sweet. But an 8hp 2 stroke weighs 78 lb.s, while a 9.9 4-stroke weighs 128 lb.s

The stainless impeller is a good investment.

Have Fun!!

Hog

[ 06-30-2001: Message edited by: HOGBREATH ]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |