LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116309 - 06/29/01 11:49 PM RT's Secret Dual Depth Float (without having to reel in)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's one of my secret tricks I was saving for my book, but I will post it on the 3 fishing sites now so you can use it for summer steelhead and fall salmon river fishing. ...

Most of the salmon and steelhead river holes you fish rarely have a uniform depth - to the contrary; they vary in depth, usually shallower toward the upper end and deeper in the middle area. That creates a problem for float fishing such as jigs or eggs in common holes that have good shallow holding water followed immediately by a drop off to more good holding water that's much deeper. When you prefer to keep your offering close to bottom thru more the drift it is advantageous to be able to adjust the depth as the hole deepens during your float drift. ...

To enable you to fish 2 depths with one cast I suggest this: use a high density round raw cork float and paper clip. Pull out one end of the paper clip and imbed it snugly into the underside of the float, a little off to the side of the lower hole (no peg in the lower hole). Preset a 'bobber stop' up your mainline for the deeper of the 2 depths. Put a tiny bead then cork float with a hollow orange peg in the top hole onto the the main line. Tie your feathered jig or worm jig onto the end of the main line; or for eggs and other baits tie on a small barrel swivel, lead, and 30+ inch hooked leader. For the shallower depth to be fished toward the upper end of holes, barely clip a small piece of mainline into the lower part of the paper clip with the depth of line below that you want for the shallower water. Put just enough line into the clip so that it won't come out during a smooth cast or from the weight of the jig or lead suspended below it. Cast and fish the upper riffles and shallower runs and as it approaches the deeper water give your rodtip a quick sharp jerk to free the line from the clip (as a tugged line would come off a downrigger clip). This will allow the float on up the mainline to the upper bobber stop while the jig or bait will drop deeper into the deep parts of the hole. It also will have the added affect of a dropping jig where fish often lay below drop offs, and they like the enticement of a descending jig. Set the 2 depths properly - such as at 3 ft./7 ft. or 4 ft./10ft. or whatever the hole calls for. This will definitely increase your float fishing effectiveness. ... An alternative to try is to use the same type cork float, but have a black hollow peg in the lower hole. Instead of using a clipped float, try pulling about a 1/4" loop of mainline out of the bottom of the upper orange peg (that has the mainline running thur it and the float) and re-incert it into the upper float hole while pinching the small line loop in place. Practice to find how firm to snug the peg in so as to keep the line loop immobile during smooth casts and drifts, but not so snug so as to allow a quick rod jerk to yank the peg and line loop out, which will enable the float on up the mainline with the free peg ahead of it stopped by the bobber stop, for the deep part of the hole. If you practice the correct clip or peg tension and use smooth casts, both of these ways will work. Other type floats may work also. ...

Another variant method is to not have an upper bobber stop and use the clipping of the line to float to fish over a real snaggy parts of a hole and and jerk the float free to drift fish less snaggy &/or deeper water downriver from the snaggy area. The float will pop up to the surface over toward you and only mildly affect the feel of the rest of the drift fished hole; and even acts somewhat like a strike indicator too. This saves having to put on and take off clip on type floats, such as the Thill Steelheader Float, in some situations. Fish on!

RT

#116310 - 06/30/01 12:23 AM Re: RT's Secret Dual Depth Float (without having to reel in)
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
RT,
Great idea, that makes total sense. Does this work well with heavier weights and bigger floats? I don't generally float fish for steelhead summer or winter, but I could see where it would certainly up your percentages of hook ups. Especially when you want to be on the bottom or as close to the bottom at all times for steelhead.
Keith

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: stlhdr1 ]

#116311 - 06/30/01 06:53 AM Re: RT's Secret Dual Depth Float (without having to reel in)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Keith, I hadn't tried this with real large cork floats and heavy weights, such as a couple ounces for very deep 'nook holes or fishing in higher river flows. So I tried it in the garage tonight and it doesn't work well with the paper clip; you'd likely have to use a big extra strong clip. But it worked OK with the alternative of tucking in a small loop of line into the upper cork hole with the upper peg. If you poke it in firm it will stay in place with the heavier weight, yet still pull free with a sharp yank on the line. Let me know how it works for you in that secret hole nobody knows about wink .

RT

#116312 - 06/30/01 10:46 AM Re: RT's Secret Dual Depth Float (without having to reel in)
Monty Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma, WA
[ 06-30-2001: Message edited by: Monty ]

[ 06-30-2001: Message edited by: Monty ]

#116313 - 07/02/01 12:18 AM Re: RT's Secret Dual Depth Float (without having to reel in)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Geez Monty, it must have been too much for words? wink

#116314 - 07/02/01 02:35 AM Re: RT's Secret Dual Depth Float (without having to reel in)
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Monty-
Uh, think a little harder it will come out!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |