Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116401 - 07/02/01 04:06 PM Sockeye Info
fish_on Offline
Parr

Loc: Columbia City, OR
This is from the WDFG site, looking at the counts, the chance of a season is looking pretty bad.

The preseason forecast for the 2001 sockeye return is about 295,000 fish. This estimate is based primarily upon fry production from the 1996 spawners and since lake and marine survival rates are highly variable from year to year the actual return to Lake Washington could be higher or lower than 295,000.

The spawning escapement goal for the system is 350,000 sockeye salmon. If the return is greater than 350,000 the excess will be available to provide for sport and Tribal fisheries.

The process for determining if there are surplus sockeye for sport and Tribal fisheries is based on an in-season estimate of total run size that is generated by counting the sockeye as they enter the system at the Ballard Locks. Daily estimates are added and the cumulative total is compared to various runsize projection update models based on past years' data and a total run estimate is calculated.

Although sockeye have been observed this year at the locks since mid-May, personnel from the Muckleshoot Tribe and WDFW will conduct formal sockeye counts from June 12th through the end of July. Counts conducted during this standardized time period are the basis of the update model.

Reliable estimates of projected total run size cannot be made until after more than half of the run has entered the system. State and Tribal biologists will update this year's return by July 10th, which is typically the date when 50% of the sockeye return has passed the Locks. A determination will be made at that time if there are sufficient sockeye to open fisheries, and the structure and duration of any fishing seasons will be announced.

If there is a sport fishery it would probably be open in early to mid-July.

#116402 - 07/02/01 04:29 PM Re: Sockeye Info
Fish4Fun Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton
fish_on,

I was one of the many boats that fished for Sockeye in the salt water Sunday near Ballard. What we saw was kind of depressing for the lake fishery. NO big schools of fish were located, only schools. We had the place well covered with Renton Chapter Puget Sound Anglers boats. What we did see was a lot of floating grass that had me curious of how much netting has been going on out in the salt water. With the counts being close to 66,000 fish shy of last year, this could explain where the fish are, they have been netted. Does anybody know if the nets have been in this year.

#116403 - 07/02/01 05:59 PM Re: Sockeye Info
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Just curious - how'd you guys do on the salt for the over-sized kokanees? We were pondering doing just that, but opted for the trout on the Lake. Respond to me directly if you don't want your info out in public.

Bummer on the Lake fishery frown Was hoping for a day or two of some nice "Same Day Sockeye". Hmmm, yummy!

Parker
parker@u.washington.edu

#116404 - 07/02/01 07:08 PM Re: Sockeye Info
Anonymous
Unregistered

4fun, i heard the same thing about the fishery, not even rising storm 2 got a fish. if you check the counts some days realy have a big dip in the numbers, i`d say they are netting them.

#116405 - 07/02/01 09:52 PM Re: Sockeye Info
R Ridgeway Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
I think there will be a Lk. Washington Sockeye season. All we have to do is average about 8,000 fish a day until July 10 (given last week should be easily doable). That'll give us 200,000 fish to date doubled is 400,000 or 50,000 in excess of escapement. 25K for tribes and 25K for rec fishers. Should be at least a week of fishing starting somewhere around the July 12th. If big numbers come in over the next 4-5 days the season will start earlier. Time to start lining up at the boat ramps!

#116406 - 07/03/01 09:25 AM Re: Sockeye Info
Fish4Fun Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton
Parker,

The salt water Sockeye fishery just didn't happen Sunday. Lots of boats working the line between the points and no fish were getting caught. I only know of 2 Sockeye that were landed.

DogSalmon,

We were right there behind the Rising Storm 2 and caught the same thing they did.

#116407 - 07/05/01 05:35 PM Re: Sockeye Info
Captain Q Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have confirmed reports that some form of tribal fishery took place on Monday June 25th in the saltwater outside the locks. Many residents of the area saw the nets as did some boaters. They told me that these netters were renegade Muckleshoots as there were WDFW boats all over the place. If you look at the numbers on the website you'll notice a big dip in the counts for that day mad

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1114 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |