LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117051 - 07/12/01 07:05 PM DO YOU USE DOWNRIGGERS ??
Anonymous
Unregistered

how many people here use downriggers ?? i dont mean this next question as a smart a$$ question but, could you catch salmon without them ??

#117052 - 07/12/01 07:22 PM Re: DO YOU USE DOWNRIGGERS ??
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Back in the day, when I used to fish out in front of Shilshole Marina for Kings, we never used riggers. Just motor mooched. I don't know if we were any good or not, but 1-2 fish days were common in July/August. Not getting a King was more uncommon then getting one.

Now that I know a little more about the salt, I'd have a pair on my boat, as there are places and times where riggers will outfish anything else.

Like all fishing, use the *best* technique for the situation at hand. That applies for the salt as well as the rivers and lakes.

#117053 - 07/12/01 07:35 PM Re: DO YOU USE DOWNRIGGERS ??
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres

#117054 - 07/12/01 10:07 PM Re: DO YOU USE DOWNRIGGERS ??
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Got my second Penn 600 yesterday. I am a firm believer of controlled depth fishing. Think of it this way, would you want your line near where the fish are, or do you just want to kind of guess (like the guy on the 'In-fisherman' show that says "That looks like a good spot over there!"). You can certainly catch fish when there are lots of fish around without a downrigger, like Shillshoal, but when you are targeting one or two blips on your finder that you see in a day, winter blackmouth, I'd go for the technology every time. They are also very helpful when targeting fish that hang out at specific depths, like sockeye. Fish them too deep or too shallow and you get no bites. Fish it right, and you have a blast.

I go fishing with the intention of bringing something back, and while downriggers don't guarantee it, they ceratinly increase my odds.

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#117055 - 07/13/01 12:04 PM Re: DO YOU USE DOWNRIGGERS ??
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Down riggers are a must in some fisheries.
1)Black mouth
2)Lk.Washington sockeye
3)Drano Lk. Steelhead !!!!!!!!
Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#117056 - 07/14/01 01:17 AM Re: DO YOU USE DOWNRIGGERS ??
R Ridgeway Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
I would agree with strike zone for #1 and number 2# (I've not fished Drano so I don't have any experience) and would also add Coho fishing is Puget Sound. Coho at times are spread out or can change location quickly. By trolling with riggers I believe you expose your gear to more fish and get to look on the fishfinder to id fish location by covering a larger area. If the fish are concentrated around bait/structure then mooching/jigging can be extremely effective. Bottom line.....I catch far more fish per hour fishing Puget Sound coho with downriggers. I often put out surface rods while I troll but don't catch as many coho as with the riggers.

#117057 - 07/14/01 07:56 AM Re: DO YOU USE DOWNRIGGERS ??
SnagMagnet Offline
Parr

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hey Strike Zone, If ya hook a Cannon 3 pounder in Drano it's mine rolleyes . If the lines wrapped around it and there's a fish attached, Keep the ball but I want the fish laugh . TIGHT LINES

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 319 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |