Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117249 - 07/16/01 04:13 PM Need Help with Upper Kenai Float
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
I just found out that KidSauk and I will be floating the Upper Kenai with my cousin during our trip to AK. He's got some sort of raft that he uses. It's not a nice drift boat, but at least it's free and something to do!

I need help from anyone on selecting the correct gear for this float. I was told we'd go after some big rainbows and some Reds.

Now, please don't get angry at me and excuse my ignorance, but when an AK native says we'll "go after the reds" on the Upper Kenai, does that mean we'll be lining Reds or actually trying to get a Red to take a fly and/or gear?

For anyone that has floated the Upper Kenai (I think we'll end up floating past the Russian) what rod/reel and tackle should I bring?

For some reason, "fly-only" is ringing a bell. Is this float a fly fishing float? If so, what weight fly rod and line should I bring? What type of line will work best? Finally, a lot of help on what types/sizes of flies to bring would be appreciated. I do't tie flies, so I'm at a store's mercy on this one!

Space is limited, so I can't bring up the entire kitchen sink. I was planning on bringing up a baitcaster for Red Flipping on the Kenai and a fly rod for the Upper Kenai. Can I get by with one rod? Maybe something like an 8 or 9 weight rod? Could use it to flip for Reds as well as catch some rainbows on the Upper Kenai?

Any help or information would be appreciated.

#117250 - 07/16/01 04:58 PM Re: Need Help with Upper Kenai Float
Hey Yall Watch This Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia....beeyotch
Parker, I learned this morning that an Alaskan native can dipnet for salmon. This may be what y'all will be doing. confused

thefishinggoddess.com fan club

#117251 - 07/16/01 05:03 PM Re: Need Help with Upper Kenai Float
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Parker,

The trophy rainbow fishery on the Kenai takes place from the outflow of Kenai lake, down to about the Russian river confluence. Cooper's landing is right there, and there are many places to go in and get specific info on what flies to use, places to fish etc... I'm not sure what kind of water you will encounter in that stretch of river, but hopefully your cousin is relatively experienced at rowing his raft. The "Fly fishing only" regs for reds in the upper Kenai mean that you can only use flies with a certain hook gap size. (coho flies are what everyone uses). You won't see too many people actually "Fly fishing" up there. Some people use flyrods with mono, but everyone uses weight of some sort to get the fly down to "line" those reds. The rainbow fishery is a different story. There are some big beautiful rainbows up there running anywhere from about 14" to about 12 or 13lbs. I believe. If you had a quality 6 or 7wt. setup, you will probably be ok. I haven't had too many chances to catch one of the big rainbows, but from what I hear, they tear it up pretty good. My advice would be to use your gear rod rigged with the coho fly and lead to flip for the reds at the Russian confluence, and for the rainbows, stop in to one of the outfitter offices/stores along the highway, and get dialed in on the exact flyfishing techniques.

Good luck to you and Kid Sauk,

Mark

#117252 - 07/16/01 05:07 PM Re: Need Help with Upper Kenai Float
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Ack! eek eek eek

Actually, I watched "the locals" do that dip-net thing last year. Damn crazy fools, if you ask me! They lose/kill people doing that all the time. Why risk life and limb when you can just go catch your 6 fish in minutes up near Soldotna?

This "raft" thing is scarring me, though! I can only wish it's as nice as the General Lee! I picture The Kid with one oar, me with the other, paddling and screaming like crazy as my cousin fishes away! I dunno why, but I envision scenes from "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer"!

The Kid is deathly afraid of bears. I don't know why, seeing how he's part Eskimo. I really hope we encounter some big bears on this trip! I want to see just how fast The Kid can run (as long as it's not as fast as me, I'm ok wink )! Hopefully, the bear up by Bob's Salmon Creek will still be there!

[ 07-16-2001: Message edited by: parker ]

#117253 - 07/16/01 05:26 PM Re: Need Help with Upper Kenai Float
Hey Yall Watch This Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia....beeyotch
I think his phobia of bears is not actually the creature, but an offbeat, slang term to describe some of the women up there wink Big and Hairy. eek

You don't have to be the first to leave, but as long as you outrun Kid, you should be safe cool

The way you described it, it really is making the gen. lee sound like a cadillac.

I envision 2 metallic, hard pontoons with a pallet duct taped across them with the name etched with permanent black marker on the side "The Love Boat" :p :p :p :p

thefishinggoddess.com fan club

#117254 - 07/16/01 08:06 PM Re: Need Help with Upper Kenai Float
Kid Sauk Offline
I'm a freak'n CAKE

Loc: Almost on the beach
I am afraid of bears? Duh, who isn't? Well, most people armed with a shotgun loaded with slugs are a little less timid. I want to follow than route if at all possible wink

As far as the raft goes, if it floats and it has oars, then I'll row it. Just hope that we don't have to get out on the bank at all as I really don't like bears!!! eek eek eek

It all stems from an encounter with a sow black bear with her cubs when I was a wee little lad of oh, say 21 years old. hehe Lucky for me the bears went running one way and I went the other. :p Now, I didn't like seeing that black bear and I hate to imagine what an encounter with a brown bear would be like eek

We can always wear bells and use the anti-bear pepper spray rolleyes NOT!!!

My name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddd.....
KID SAUK!!!!!

#117255 - 07/16/01 09:28 PM Re: Need Help with Upper Kenai Float
greg Offline
Smolt

Loc: fort lewis, wa 98433
Parker, I've never managed to make it to Alaska, but my bro has spent about 8 years stationed up there at Fort Richardson, and is an accomplished red liner, er..flosser, er..fisherman. Ever hear the term "Kenai Jerk"? Here's a hint, it ain't in reference to the locals on the river! Have fun, and good luck! Maybe I'll make it up there some day.

Greg
U.S. Army Pro Staff
Special Agent in Charge, Fort Lewis Steelhead Advisory Board
Team Lamiglas

#117256 - 07/16/01 10:56 PM Re: Need Help with Upper Kenai Float
FASTWATER Offline
Spawner

Loc: Place's you only dream about
One of the greatest experience I have had in life was floating the upper River about where you are headed. It was in mid september but I would thimk the same action would be accountable. I used a 6# sage with off peach orange puff balls banking and boondogging with a couple split shot and cooned the sockeye and rainbows and dolly,s trophy size, stop in at troutfitters above hope landing they are real!!! PEACE

#117257 - 07/17/01 10:07 AM Re: Need Help with Upper Kenai Float
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
Parker and the Kid,
I may be able to score you guys an 18' Diamondback driftboat for that float. My buddy lives in Kenia and works all the time and never gets his boat out. I will be talking to him this week sometime. If I score you guys use of the boat.....What neat little stream in WA state you gonna show me? laugh

#117258 - 07/17/01 11:00 AM Re: Need Help with Upper Kenai Float
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
Parker,

I've done that float a number of times.

First, dipnetting is only from the bridge in Kenai down, about 60 miles below where you'll be. If you fish for reds, you will be lining them with the masses. An 8wt with a fast sinktip is perfect for this. You will still need to add weight to get down. Be careful about your use of hooks. There is a gap size restriction up there. The Reds take about ten days from when they enter the river to hit the confluence. The numbers jumped dramatically on the 14th so about the 24th, lining...er, fishing should be red hot.

For the 'bows, I use two rods. I take a spin cast and a 6wt. Sometimes while floating you will be a ways from a spot you would like to hit and so I will grab the spin rod and shoot to that location. Other times you will beach the raft and the fly rod will work great. Either way, you need to be bouncing on the bottom or your not in the game. It is fly only water but that just refers to what is on the end of your line. Some of the bows are mondo sized up there. Don't bother bring 6x to this party.

You will only need two different types of flies at this time of the year. Egg flies and flesh flies. You need both of these in a variety of colors. You can literally find the bows on a color of egg fly, catch a few until you get no more biters, switch colors, and catch a bunch more. Don't leave fish to find fish. Stay until there are no more biters. I would check in at Coopers for the hot colors they are hitting on but have plenty of options.

Most people raft the upper so I wouldn't sweat that. I've never been in a drift boat up there in that stretch.

As far as bears go, you very well may see a couple, possibly even close up. The Brownee's along that stretch can be rogue at times. I would try spreading some pro-cure sardine butter on Sauk's back as a repellent (for you). Seems those bears are really keyed in on fish smell this time of year. wink

Email with any specifics you need.

Steve

#117259 - 07/17/01 03:01 PM Re: Need Help with Upper Kenai Float
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
If you know someone up there you can ship your rods! I just shipped 10 last week for 7-19-01 and they arrived already! Only took em 4 days to Ninilchik.

Bob D

#117260 - 07/17/01 05:52 PM Re: Need Help with Upper Kenai Float
Kid Sauk Offline
I'm a freak'n CAKE

Loc: Almost on the beach
No smelly jelly on my back, thanks, although I smoke over a pack a day I can still run very, very fast. Especially with a big bear chasing me. I developed my sprinting power from closing down the bars while staying in Montesano. The big and ugly girls would try to chase me back to the hotel and I didn't want to find out what they'd do to me if they caught me eek

My name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddd.....
KID SAUK!!!!!

#117261 - 07/17/01 06:27 PM Re: Need Help with Upper Kenai Float
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

You dont have to outrun anyone!!!! Just bring honey to spray all over him when you get ready to run!!! Were bringing shotguns and 44's. Ill just shoot my buddy and walk slowly away.

Bob D cool

#117262 - 07/17/01 06:32 PM Re: Need Help with Upper Kenai Float
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Willie rower,
If the Kid and Parker dont want to take you up on the boat deal I will. Ill give you 2 days on the olympic Penn for Steelies for the boat plus we'll pay him by the day! I can be reached at home 1-253-752-6803 or 1-253-973-9293 cell. I leave Thursday the 19th at 7:00pm so let me know if your interested.

Bob D

#117263 - 07/17/01 06:34 PM Re: Need Help with Upper Kenai Float
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Thanks for the offer willierower, but it's all yours Bob D. We'll take our chances on the raft! Sounds like everyone is a winner!

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Good info!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (steely slammer, wolverine, 2 invisible), 941 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645366 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |