Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117379 - 07/18/01 04:56 PM I need Info on Handheld Radio's
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
I'm looking into buying a set of the hand held walkie talkies,like the Corbra's or Motorola or what ever.
what brands are you Guys(and Gals) using. what kind of features to look for.
I think they offer 2 different ranges i.e. a 2 mile and a believe a 5 mile range unit.
any help would be great Thanks.......Os

#117380 - 07/18/01 06:54 PM Re: I need Info on Handheld Radio's
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
I've got a couple Motorola's that I picked up at an Office Depot clearance awhile back that sport a 2 mile range, 14 channels, and a digital tuner. Keep in mind that the 2 mile range is normally good if you are out in a field somewhere with 0 line-of-sight obstructions.

While I have not used them in the wild, I have heard that I wouldn't use them in hunting-type situations unless again there's no obstacles between the two parties.

Crosstalk can be a pain sometimes too, in which case you just tell the person to switch to channel X just as you would on a regular CB radio.

#117381 - 07/18/01 07:59 PM Re: I need Info on Handheld Radio's
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I have both the Cobra 2 channel cheapies ($30 a pair) and a Motorola talkabout 250. Both can use the same headsets, but the funny thing is that the Cobra has better range, at least mine do. They both operate at better than 2 miles by line of sight (3.5 miles in one instance by gps). I use them when hunting coyotes with a partner who is about 100 yds away. Also used them quite successfully chasing elk, and we had good reception at distances up to 1/2 mile in the timber. The Cobras have one annoying feature which is an end of transmission beep that you can't turn off, so if you use those for hunting, get an earpiece. The Motorola 250 can be had at a good discount now, as it is an older model, and it has the subchannels that help to eliminate cross-talk. Scan feature on the Motorola is a nice thing to have as well so you can eavesdrop on what the other guys are doing if you want to get nosey. It helped us to head some elk off at the pass once, but unfortunately there were only spikes and cows.

Hope this helps,

Andy

p.s. The Motorola uses AA batteries, which can be a big savings as costco has 48 packs for cheap. Then you only have to carry one type of battery for GPS, radio, and emergency flashlights.

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: Dogfish ]

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#117382 - 07/19/01 09:47 AM Re: I need Info on Handheld Radio's
riverswild Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: OlyWa
Hey Os,
Check out Costco in Tumwater.
I just bought a couple Motorola T6210's for $60 each. They have a two mile range, multiple channels and codes. It also has a voice scramble feature so others can't interpret your transmissions.

Most radios with over a two mile distance will require an FCC license.

#117383 - 07/19/01 10:52 AM Re: I need Info on Handheld Radio's
backlash2 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Pasco, WA
Gotta agree with Dogfish on this one. The Motorola's have a greater than 2 mile range when it's line of site. Being in the timber doesn't drastically affect them either, as long as your not trying to talk through a hill. They work great for talking to buddies in other boats, and for hunting they are also very useful. Get an earpiece, though......

#117384 - 07/19/01 11:24 AM Re: I need Info on Handheld Radio's
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I used the motorola 250's this spring down at the wind river troll fishery.While I was trolling mag warts,my partner was back at camp which was at another buddies house up in carson off of high bridge road.The distance between the two spots was probly only two miles but then he was up higher then
me.The 250's worked great with good reception
we also used them on the nooch this past winter,I was about one mile down stream from the cross over bridge and my partner was about half way between white bridge and the cross over.The reception was great.Both times
they were my partners radios,I plan on buying
two for myself.They work great for hole hopping rivers with a nother boat or in your case a CAT!!!!!.P.S. Why do you and hey yall
need radios on the rivers,I thought that you could hear the squieeling noise for miles.
Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#117385 - 07/20/01 02:08 AM Re: I need Info on Handheld Radio's
Fish'n Magician Offline
Parr

Loc: Hillsboro Oregon
Hey Os ~~ Where do you plan on using them?????? I sell a handheld two-way system that I can talk from Medford to Seattle to Spokane and so on.

#117386 - 07/20/01 11:25 AM Re: I need Info on Handheld Radio's
umrules Offline
Spawner

Loc: wa., usa
If you buy the Motorola 250, you can get them on the Walmart website for 39.95 and go to the Motorola website and you can print out a $15 dollar rebate form, so they wind up costing you 24.95! You won't beat that price at Costco or Cabellas. I just did it about 2 weeks ago and you get your radios delivered in about 5 days. For the price, the 250's are the way to go.

Tight lines!!

#117387 - 07/23/01 12:42 PM Re: I need Info on Handheld Radio's
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Thanks for the responses.

For years I've used a regular 40 channel handheld during Hunting season,but I don't like the ease dropping feature mad We've lost Elk to Yahoos before....find you're own *&#@*&^ Elk rolleyes

Strike Zone:the reason I want Redneck to have one is so I don't have to look at him for 1# and for 2# I can always turn off the Damn thing eek when he starts plying his Banjo

Fish'n Mag :we already use Nextel's here at work they work great from Blaine to Eugene and Spokane...along the I-5 corridor thats it!

I diffently want the headsets too. .....Os

[ 07-23-2001: Message edited by: Osprey ]

#117388 - 07/23/01 11:04 PM Re: I need Info on Handheld Radio's
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
hey Os

ya gotta check out my radios. we all have our own and they are awsome for hunting and fishing. we have the ear thing and we can shoot our bow with them and it don't get in the way. I have the cherokee. they are the only ones that I could find that are water proof. the rest were only resistant. and as you know if the water can harm them then Murphy will make sure they get lots of it. Mine is the FR-465wp model. I will show you the next time I see you. I always have it in my truck. it has lots of options. It is a 2 mile radio but normally we don't have trouble with that. the 5 mile might be nice but they are bigger and the batteries don't last as long. one more thing don't go with the re-chargeable. every time you charge them you get a little less time untill they are shot. kinda like yer cell phone batteries.
call me and I'll be happy to tell ya more.

dc laugh

#117389 - 07/24/01 01:02 PM Re: I need Info on Handheld Radio's
Ihookum Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Rochester WA
Osprey, Your still gonna get the yahoos on the Motorola radios, and there is more of them every year. Had three different hunting parties running three different bunches of Elk at the same time and on the same channel last year. I also had a problem with picking up interference. At one time last year I was supposed to be directed into a herd that was bedded down and all I could pick up was Tacoma Fire Dept and static beacuse of the power lines I was under. Other than that I like them..

#117390 - 07/24/01 02:11 PM Re: I need Info on Handheld Radio's
rainycity Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Os,
Chech out the, motorola radius P1225

#117391 - 07/25/01 12:21 AM Re: I need Info on Handheld Radio's
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

mine have several side bans for each of the 14 channels. their is 400 plus optional channels. you won't have a problem!

dc laugh

#117392 - 07/25/01 11:38 AM Re: I need Info on Handheld Radio's
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Fitter let me know when you can stop by or we can hook up,
I suppose we'll have to change you're moniker to DCRZCATTER laugh thanks again for the ideas "gentelmen" rolleyes ......Os

#117393 - 07/25/01 11:53 PM Re: I need Info on Handheld Radio's
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

I think I like that!!!!! DCRZCATTER, ya that sounds great. now if that dude would just buy the truck that he said he was going to be back for in a week. that was 3 weeks ago!! I am so close to gettting my cat I can taste it!!!!! ya I will stop in and say howdy. I stopped in and looked around the fishing hole below you. the water is low but I figure it won't be long and they will be in.

later,

dc laugh

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1078 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645298 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |