Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117551 - 07/23/01 12:58 AM Wind River
Yakutat Jack Offline
Juvenile at Sea

...will be camping on the Wind Aug 4-7 and curious what is happening there at that time.

Good for summer steelies then or better for Chinook? Any tips, best places to go, season info. etc. would be VERY helpful.

My preferred quarry is steelhead but sounds like lots of chinook are on their way...

Thx in advance....YJ

#117552 - 07/23/01 02:35 PM Re: Wind River
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Try for summer runs @ the wind and drano Lk.
Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#117553 - 07/23/01 09:51 PM Re: Wind River
Yakutat Jack Offline
Juvenile at Sea

thx Strike Zone...so does that mean better to fish for the steelies than the chinook at that time of year? Any hotspots on the river I should be aware of, special techniques for steelies etc.? Flows will probably be real low, I like to jig fish but wonder if I'll be down to single salmon eggs....

thx!

#117554 - 07/23/01 10:38 PM Re: Wind River
SalmonMoocher12 Offline
Alevin

Loc: Washougal wa.
no chinook in the river. Steelies are are really scarce, because the hatchery stoped planting them 8 years ago, so if anything there are natives to be caught water is low and fish hold in the deep canyon holes. Have fun hiking into the canyon, bring a back board incase you catch fish you will need it trust me!!!!!
HAVE FUN While you are up there go lokks at thr springers at the hatchery theres a lot.

#117555 - 07/24/01 12:17 PM Re: Wind River
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Y.K.,
Don't forget to try drano Lk. from the bank,
It can be productive for steelies that time of year.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#117556 - 07/24/01 12:21 PM Re: Wind River
Stinkfoot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: White Salmon, WA
I thought the Wind was closed this summer upstream of the Hiway 14 bridge, but I am having trouble figuring out what the regs say this year.

Last year it was closed above the hiway bridge but it doesn't look like it this year, as far as I can tell from the regs. This is idiotic because 1) no hatchery fish have been planted in the Wind in four years, so other than a few dip-ins you'll be fishing for only wild fish, and, 2) the wild fish population, which was once legendary, was something like 150 fish the year before last. There were a little more last year but not enough to merit a C&R fishery. So in other words, if you fish upriver you may be fishing illegally, but if not you'll be fishing for the few members present of a pretty depleted population of wild steelhead.

You'll be a few weeks early for the chinook. You could fish the mouth of the river for steelhead but you'll probably do better at Drano, if you can stand the crowds.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (wolverine, Krijack), 1009 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645379 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |