Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117625 - 07/24/01 08:36 PM Barkley sound salmon
silkverking Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Pendleton
I will be going to Barkley sound for 10 days. If you have ever been there what should I expect in the way of fishing for salmon or halibut. I will be fishing from afriends boat. smile

#117626 - 07/25/01 10:10 AM Re: Barkley sound salmon
MikeT Offline
Alevin

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Silverking,
I've fished Barkley Sound a lot over the last 12 years. Email me and I'll try to help you out.
Where will you be staying? I'm most familar with the Broken Group and the Deer Group areas.

regards....Mike

#117627 - 07/25/01 11:08 AM Re: Barkley sound salmon
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA
I have fished out of Ucluelet a few times, usually went around the corner and up to Wya Point. Most successful chinook anglers fished anchovy/flasher rigs. They use the anchovy helmets up there and it seems to be essential to get a "drill bit" spin on your anchovy. Any tail flash/flop and you won't catch anything except the occasional coho. There are hot spots way out in the ocean where you can catch chinook and halibut but I don't have any waypoints for you.
Good Luck
Beezer

#117628 - 07/25/01 07:54 PM Re: Barkley sound salmon
silkverking Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Pendleton
Thanx for the info I will be camping in Ucluelet right next to the water I will run a report after I get back from the trip

#117629 - 07/26/01 04:28 PM Re: Barkley sound salmon
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
I think with the regs up there this year, you'll have to be 1 mile or more offshore to keep a king over 77cm. That means you probably won't want to fish all the good spots in the sound (Beale Pt., Edward King Island, etc.) so if I were you and I wanted to keep big kings, and the weather permitted, I'd follow some of the pro charter boats out into the open ocean, and they go out... like 25 miles sometimes, and try to pick up some of those Columbia River fish that will be swimming by out there. When I say "pro charter boats" I mean the ones from the big, established lodges, like the aluminum Intruder boats from Tyee Resort in Bamfield. I don't know the names of any of the big resorts on the Uculet side, maybe Weigh West resort?? All I'm saying is don't follow the onesy-twosey guides around, half of them aren't as good as your average Puget Sound fishermen, they're just out-of-work loggers that just bought a boat... the big guys have lots of boats, all the boats have radios, and they let each other know where the fish are... stick with them.

-Norm.

#117630 - 07/30/01 06:33 PM Re: Barkley sound salmon
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Just got back from a 3 day trip at the Canadian Princess in Ucluelet. I have fished with these guys for a number of years. They primarily fish South Bank which is 6 to 12 miles off shore, (running what seems like north to south but is more westerly I think) and for Halibut, Big Bank 20+ miles out.

The campground is right next door to the resort. If you can, stop and get firewood somewhere around Albernie or be prepared to pay up the ... for it. Hang around the resort a bit as the crews are quite outgoing and if you buy 'em a few beers they may give you GPS numbers to some of there spots.

We saw a 46 1/2 Chinook come off of Big Bank along with a number of 50# Halibut. Also saw a 37 pound Ling Cod. Unfortunately for me and my buddies, we just caught little ones.

Bottom fishing can be an adventure out there. Red Fish, Blue Fish one fish new fish. You commonly here "what the hell is that one?" Bring your fish book!

Island West resort is next door to The CP . They offer trolling charters and may give up some info if prompted. Weigh West is in Tofino and they focus more on Clayoquot and the Ocean.

Good Luck
GutZ

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |