LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117631 - 07/24/01 09:19 PM Where's everybody going this weekend?
scrawny Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton
I know its kind of a cracker question but I wanna know where the salmon are biteing salt or fresh fishenbrad fixed my sled and I'm ready to go somewhere any info would be great

#117632 - 07/24/01 10:28 PM Re: Where's everybody going this weekend?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I am heading up to Sekiu. I was up there two of the last three weekends and had lots of fish every day. I caught 8 one Sunday, and then the next weekend four of us caught a total of 47 fish. Mostly silvers, some pinks, and six kings, the biggest being 35 lbs that we released (Berkley Scale). Each week the silvers seem a bit bigger, about a pound more each week.

The nice thing about Sekiu is that if you get blown off of the straights, you can fish right out in the bay and hook fish or even cast for silvers off of the beach with buzz bombs. It is a bit of a drive, but three hours on the road to catch up to 20 fish a day on the boat is worth it for me.

Best of luck, we'll be the Seaswirl with the net in action.

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#117633 - 07/24/01 11:14 PM Re: Where's everybody going this weekend?
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
I've going to see the Mariners and get an Ichiro bobbing head. Seems like I've been missing out on the salmon fest up in the straits. I'm starting to get a salmon jones.

#117634 - 07/24/01 11:32 PM Re: Where's everybody going this weekend?
Dr Pepper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim, Washington
I'm going to SIR to watch the drag races. I haven't gone for a few years and I'm excited to go now! Anyone else going to go to SIR?

~ Dr Pepper

http://www.steelheader.net

#117635 - 07/24/01 11:46 PM Re: Where's everybody going this weekend?
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
I'm going to a BIG trapshoot at Olympia, but I'd rather be fishin' for Summer Kings. We've put 26 Summers' in my sled in 6 mornings of fishing (no more than 3 hours per morning)!!! The mid-Columbia is HOT for nice Kings. Big has been a 27 pounder(dressed)with several in the low 20's. Good luck.

#117636 - 07/25/01 10:21 AM Re: Where's everybody going this weekend?
Jeffhead Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Pt Defiance on Friday. Tides set up to be great and the fish are there!!
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff laugh laugh

#117637 - 07/25/01 11:19 AM Re: Where's everybody going this weekend?
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I'll be in my back yard finishing my 850 S.F.
deck.But after this week end look out salmon,
STRIKE ZONE is goin on a salmon binder!!!!!
Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#117638 - 07/25/01 01:33 PM Re: Where's everybody going this weekend?
PiperFLA Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bremerton WA, USA
steelheadman,
I heard on the news that they wont let you camp out at the entrance till midnight before the game... I hope you get there early. eek eek

#117639 - 07/25/01 08:12 PM Re: Where's everybody going this weekend?
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SW Washington
I am playing in a softball tournament at Delta Park with some guys from work. Hope the weather holds. After that getting ready to start after the salmon again. A week away from fishing is long enough smile

#117640 - 07/26/01 10:12 AM Re: Where's everybody going this weekend?
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
BC Bound Baby

#117641 - 07/26/01 10:21 AM Re: Where's everybody going this weekend?
Fish4Fun Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton
Hey Dr Pepper,

I will be out at the track for Friday Qualifing in the late afternoon. Got the 10 dollar off coupons from NAPA already. It is still in the blood, I used to race several years ago. This is the only time I go to the track, other wise I could easily have one in the shop sitting with the jet boat again. laugh

#117642 - 07/27/01 02:56 AM Re: Where's everybody going this weekend?
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
I agree with Dogfish, I also have been up to Sekiu the past two out of three weekends, though I haven't found the nice kings he has... just lots of silvers, got to pick through the unclipped ones (notice I don't say hatchery, I think there are a lot of unclipped ones that are hatchery) to get your clipped ones, seems like it's about 4 to 1 unclipped to clipped, but I agree, I started out there on the 5th of July, and they are all getting bigger now. I hope the weather holds up for Saturday.

Just one question, Dogfish, if you live in McCleary, what the heck are you doing driving all the way up here to fish?

-N.

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: StorminN ]

#117643 - 07/27/01 12:39 PM Re: Where's everybody going this weekend?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

OH MY GOD, you agree with me Stormin?!?! (Hope I didn't offend any of you religious types)

I will gladly trade 7 hours of driving there and back for a chance at catching a salmon every 15 minutes or so for hours on end. I go to fish, so the drive isn't that much of a sacrifice for me. On my last two trips there never was a lull in the fishing with the exception of 1 half hour time period without a bite. I would gladly do that drive 6 times a season and catch over 150 fish, rather than making six trips where I might catch 1 or 2 fish per trip (puget sound).

Westport is just too much water for my 18 footer, plus the bar, raaaalllllllph. It's only 50 miles away, but that will have to wait, until I get my new 22 footer. smile

Andy

#117644 - 07/27/01 12:53 PM Re: Where's everybody going this weekend?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Hey Stormin',

I am headed up to Sekiu tomorrow and will fish the afternoon and evening, then Sunday morning. You going? I'll be the Seaswirl, blue stripe, grey canvas, and the silly name of Nepenthe (no worries), a sophisticated Hakuna Matatta. Be nice meet someone else from this board. Staying at Coho Campground and we'll be the ones with all of the fish scales on the boat if you can't find it from the description already given. Andy

#117645 - 07/27/01 01:00 PM Re: Where's everybody going this weekend?
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Yes, I agree with you, Dogfish... no big deal. I understand what you mean about being able to catch fish all day long, the longest lull we had was about two hours, and that was on July 6th... this past weekend, it was non-stop, we limited five guys by 10am, and that was turning about 5 small clipped ones back, so then we went bottomfishing. Pretty fun... I'm glad I'm lucky enough to be pretty close to the action. I live right on Sequim Bay, and I'm hoping the action will be good over here when it opens next week.

Have you been finding any big bait out there in Sekiu? All the stuff I've seen has been really small, like 3" long, so I've been using small spoons and doing well.

My fishing partners fell through for Saturday, and my girl is out of town, so I might only get out there on Sunday... good luck!!

-N.

#117646 - 07/27/01 01:11 PM Re: Where's everybody going this weekend?
Finegrain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodinville, WA, USA
Hey Stormin, I'll be up your way next Sunday through Tuesday, August 5-7. We'll be camping at the state park and I'll have my 20-footer. I'm hoping to catch some coho, maybe Monday morning. I'm guessing the waters right W of the spit would work well?

We'll have a couple crab pots out. Do you have any good spots for crab?

Mike
Woodinville

Finegrain
Woodinville

#117647 - 07/27/01 01:13 PM Re: Where's everybody going this weekend?
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
crazy!!!!if i don't get my but out and just go fishing, seems like something always pops up,BUT NOT THIS WEEKEND oh sorry, thought i was at home

#117648 - 07/27/01 01:17 PM Re: Where's everybody going this weekend?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Hi Stormin',

We start fishing as soon as we hit 50' of water right there in the bay and head west if the water is nice, east if it is blowing and choppy. We even trolled the beach between Olson's and Coho when there weren't any shore casters and picked up three on one pass. They are literally everywhere!

Most of the bait that we have been able to locate has been candlefish in the three to four inch range, so we have tossed buzzbombs and small darts from the beach to help round things out. We bonked a few pinks last time out as we had to leave and we kept on catching native and "native hatchery" silvers. One day it was all hatcheries, the next you had one in 10, same area. Go figure. Best of luck on Sunday. Andy

#117649 - 07/27/01 10:49 PM Re: Where's everybody going this weekend?
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Hey Finegrain,

I live right across the bay from the state park, but I actually just moved here from Seattle last fall, so all the fishing spots are new to me. I've heard that outside and to the west of the spit is good, I guess people troll between the two cans out there for coho and pinks. I'm going to try and get out there after work a couple of days next week, if I find out anything, I'll let you know.

As far as crabbing, would you believe I haven't done any of that, either. (I think it just opened last Monday) I hear people have been catching them right in Sequim Bay, though.

When you get out here, go see Wade at the Bosun's Locker at John Wayne Marina (it's upstairs) keeps up on the where's and when's and he'll point you in the right direction.

-N.

#117650 - 07/28/01 01:49 AM Re: Where's everybody going this weekend?
Finegrain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodinville, WA, USA
Awesome! Thanks. I'll let you know what he says, and what I find. cool

Finegrain
Woodinville

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 199 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |