LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117689 - 07/25/01 01:19 AM Correct rigging of new Thill float?
HSL Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle
Okay, so I finally got my hands on some of these new (new to me, anyway) Thill Premium Steelhead Floats. My question is this: what's the correct way to rig them? I see two possibilities:

Option 1: Remove rubber sleeve from the stem of the float. Slip mainline all the way through the rubber sleeve, then slide the rubber sleeve onto the stem of the float, ensuring that the mainline catches in the little line slot on the stem. This provides the most secure connection, but forces you to clip your line if you want to remove the float.

Option 2: Keep the rubber sleeve on the stem of the float. Slide or roll the rubber sleeve up or down so that the line slot is exposed. Slip line into slot, then pull rubber sleeve over slot and line. In this way, the float can be removed without cutting your line--but it doesn't offer as secure of a connection.

Am I making any sense here? Anyone have any experience with these floats?

Thanks.

Any opinions?

#117690 - 07/25/01 11:12 AM Re: Correct rigging of new Thill float?
Hey Yall Watch This Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia....beeyotch
I bought 26 different thill steelhead floats. I slide the rubber sleeve off, wrap line a couple of times in notch, and then slide rubber sleeve up over the line until the edge of the rubber is even with the stem. I haven't had a problem with it sliding down because if it slides, I just make another wrap or two.

thefishinggoddess.com fan club

#117691 - 07/25/01 11:27 AM Re: Correct rigging of new Thill float?
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Do not wrap you're line around the notch eek
This advice comes from the same guy who used a spring bobber once....Once rolleyes
(never wrap you're line around anything unless you don't want that fish.....forgive Redneck I guess you can wrap it when you fish for crappie

seriously just run it thru the notch and slip the sleve over it,you need to periodicly check it it tends to slip.

here's another idea,put a short piece of tubing on the top stem and run you're line thru it also,this does 2 things,it keeps you're line on top of the float,which makes mending easier and tends to keep the float from slipping on the line ,good luck....Os

#117692 - 07/25/01 05:04 PM Re: Correct rigging of new Thill float?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
I'm with Os. Slide the sleeve off the stem, cut it into about 1/3, 2/3 pieces. Slide both pieces on your mainline, put the 1/3 chunk on the top, and the 2/3 chunk on the bottom of the float. Seems to fix it pretty well onto the mainline, although it will slide when you make a hookset, so you'll have to readjust.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#117693 - 07/26/01 07:07 PM Re: Correct rigging of new Thill float?
fish forever Offline
Alevin

Loc: Hillsboro, OR
Which model of the Thill Floats are you all using?

I'll be using jigs <1/4 oz, mostly 1/8.

#117694 - 07/26/01 08:03 PM Re: Correct rigging of new Thill float?
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
They are the new steelhead float. We also are now carrying the premium weighted float(same coloration as the steelhead float but can be rigged slip or fixed.), and the turbo master.

#117695 - 07/27/01 01:19 AM Re: Correct rigging of new Thill float?
HSL Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Thanks for the advice, guys. I like the idea of using some rubber tubing on the top stem in addition to the tubing on the bottom stem; I'll give it a try this weekend. Jigman, how do you and the Rainbow Jigs experts like to rig these puppies?

#117696 - 07/27/01 02:06 AM Re: Correct rigging of new Thill float?
Stadle Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle Area
I am with Osprey and Dan on that one. I would never wrap the line.

I have not tried the steelheader float, but have rigged the center sliders in a similar fashion with good results. I purchased some of the larger sized rubber tubing at the hardware store and cut two 1/2 inch pieces. Slide them on the line and then put one over the top and one over the bottom of float. seems to hold fine but does slide as Dan stated when you set the hook.

#117697 - 07/27/01 01:33 PM Re: Correct rigging of new Thill float?
SotarBoy Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Nestucca River, OR
I'm with Goat Spray (Uh, I mean Osprey). I avoid the notch at all costs and I cut the rubber sleeve in half and put one on the top and one on the bottom.

#117698 - 07/27/01 03:23 PM Re: Correct rigging of new Thill float?
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
Those floats are meant to be rigged by rolling up the tubing on the lower stem and laying your line in the slot then rolling the tubing back over your line. I have used them the way described in the other posts where you cut the tubing and use it on both the upper and lower stem and have your line run through both, which also works well.

#117699 - 07/27/01 04:26 PM Re: Correct rigging of new Thill float?
Hey Yall Watch This Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia....beeyotch
Ummm. Yeah, so a spring bobber sucks for steelhead, but it was rigged to manufacturer's specifications. :p

He asked what was the "correct" way to rig the thill floats; not what was the "right" way to rig them. laugh

I haven't had to jig and bobber fish in a while since we've been char and salmon fishing.

Follow what Osprey said, that's how you'll want to do it, and you can't stray too far in variation to his "right" way of rigging it. cool Works great. Who knows, one day thill will actually manufacture a bobber that doesn't need modifying. rolleyes

thefishinggoddess.com fan club

#117700 - 08/01/01 02:09 PM Re: Correct rigging of new Thill float?
HSL Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Thanks for the tips, guys. Just tried out the setup using tubing on both the top and bottom stems and hooked into a nice fish!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 337 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |