LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117830 - 07/25/01 02:48 PM Crab Pot's ??????????
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I'm getting ready to purchase two pot's but would like some in put on which one's are the
best one's out there.I like the looks of the
big blue type that you see at places like Joe's/Sportco/Outdoor emporium but @ $90.00 to $100.00 bucks a pop I really don't know.
My buddy bought the cheap folding one's and modified them a little.They seemed to work better then my other buddies two weeks ago out at westport.Any in-put would be appreciated.Thank's and Good Luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#117831 - 07/25/01 03:01 PM Re: Crab Pot's ??????????
Finegrain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodinville, WA, USA
I use the $30 2' x 2' x 1' box style. They work great as far as I can tell -- 18 crabs last time out, 21 the time before that. Sometimes the traps are so heavy with crabs I almost need help getting them into the boat.

The round SS ones are pretty, but they don't collapse for storage. If you've got a big boat, you probably are OK with that, and you probably have the $$ too laugh laugh

Mike
Woodinville

Finegrain
Woodinville

#117832 - 07/25/01 03:12 PM Re: Crab Pot's ??????????
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
Those powder-coated blue ones are extremely well-built and will most likely last longer than anything rubber-wrapped will. They're definitely pricier, but if you plan on wanting to keep them around awhile they will definitely not disappoint you there.

The slip-ring models tend to be a bit cheaper, while at the same time they combine the safety from seals that a full pot has while also allowing the access that a crab ring has.

#117833 - 07/25/01 04:26 PM Re: Crab Pot's ??????????
Chip Goodhue Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kitsap County
Stirke Zone - I have had several types over the years, and for the money I think the standard folding ones with four doors work best, especially if you pull them regularly and don't leave them overnight (the crabs seem to get out after eating the bait). I have a triangular "crab house" type trap and this one regularly under-fishes the folding traps. Last year I bought a really beautiful (and expensive)commercial-style trap made in Brinnon, stainless doors and a very large central bait holder. This trap was very sexy but didn't catch worth a damn! Somebody finally stole it(good luck and good riddance). The folding pots outfished that trap 10 to 1. I figure the crabs are a lot more comfortable entering the folding trap doors (rather than the funnels), perhaps because the doors are flush with the bottom? If your gonna leave the traps in overnight, the commercial-style traps might be better (because the crabs can't get out), otherwise I'd go with the folding traps.

#117834 - 07/25/01 04:34 PM Re: Crab Pot's ??????????
fishtale Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kng
IVE HAD ALL TYPES BUT THE BEST HANDS DOWN ARE MCKAYS POTS OR POTS MADE BY CUSHMAN MARINE THEY OUT FISH THEM ALL.

#117835 - 07/25/01 04:41 PM Re: Crab Pot's ??????????
Pitch Pocket Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Portland, OR
The Danielsons wire traps have always worked well for me, sometimes outstanding. They don't do well in fast current (you probably shouldn't be crabbing there anyway) and have been known to put out to sea if left out on a strong ebb, but they are easier to haul out of the water than the metal framed round "ocean" pots. Once they start rusting, I get concerned about electrolysis and just get new ones. They are pretty cheap on sale for around $17.00. I tweak the doors by wrapping pencil lead around the horizontal wire and re-shape the "hinge" with wire-former pliers. If you want more weight, paint some 20" re-bar with vinyl paint and wire-tie them to the bottom of the trap. Use the Scotty bait jars instead of the wire cage bait holders and you can fish the same bait for days. We fished our pots for a week in the San Juans and I only re-baited once. I wire-tie them to the top so it hangs down in the middle of the trap and fill em with cockles or the bait-de-jour.

#117836 - 07/25/01 04:53 PM Re: Crab Pot's ??????????
PiperFLA Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bremerton WA, USA
just out of curiosity... what makes the best bait. I've use fish guts when I can get them and I have good luck with chicken the other times. Anybody else have any good bait techniques.

#117837 - 07/25/01 05:07 PM Re: Crab Pot's ??????????
Finegrain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodinville, WA, USA
#1 is shucked, uncooked clams -- unbelievable . Horse, littleneck, cockle, whatever . Next is herring -- if you can part with them. Next is turkey drumsticks with some herring scent on/in them. Next is salmon heads/spines.

All these have produced very well for me.

Mike
Woodinville
~180 crabs on last year's catch card laugh laugh

Finegrain
Woodinville

#117838 - 07/25/01 05:13 PM Re: Crab Pot's ??????????
PiperFLA Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bremerton WA, USA
finegrain,
never wouldve thought of clams... and what a great way to use the leftover bait...

#117839 - 07/25/01 05:38 PM Re: Crab Pot's ??????????
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
fishtale:

Why?

#117840 - 07/25/01 05:56 PM Re: Crab Pot's ??????????
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Thanks for all the great replies.I'll probly
run with the cheapies for now,with a little
modifi-in.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE
P.S. Two weeks ago at westport the cheap pots
with salmon carcusses kick butt over the round more expensive pots with turkey legs in it.

#117841 - 07/26/01 04:35 PM Re: Crab Pot's ??????????
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
The best pots, hands-down, are the huge round ones with four doors, with a ramp to each door. Three door ones work OK, and I wouldn't use two door ones, I'd rather use the four-door cheapo folding ones with a few mods. If you buy the cheapies, get some extra rubber coated chicken wire and make some little pieces that fit on the bottoms of the doors, that bend at a 90 degree angle and form to the floor... basically you're making something so that if the crabs are near the doors and trying to get out, they are standing on this piece, holding the door shut. It takes a little messing with, make sure all the doors close easily. The bigger the pot the better. Make sure you watch your pots. I made the mistake of buy an expensive one a couple of years ago, not watching it, some guys came along and stole it.

-N.

#117842 - 07/27/01 10:44 AM Re: Crab Pot's ??????????
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
In Idaho, a crab pot is something that sits on the same bar tool every day. Its odd that all your buddys claim they don't they don't know them, but I'm pretty sure that was said crab pots car parked in front of their house yesterday morning... again....

Yea buddy your BUSTED !!! I knew you would read this... ha ha wink

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1074 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |