Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117858 - 07/25/01 08:32 PM A question about snagging
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rochester, WA USA
I've got a question regarding Snagging. Fall fish are just around the corner, and so is snagging time. There's been a lot of talk about McCallister Creek being a snagfest, theres a lot of spots that are the same way... The Skokomish, the Green, The Toutle, The Brrier Dam, Hoodsport, The Nisqually, etc. I never have any trouble getting my fish (Legally) from these spots. That being said, the majority of the fish I hook seem to be foul hooked, I'm not trying to snag them, it just seems to work out that way. I never intentionally sang these fish, and I always let the foul hooked ones go. When I do get a "Legal" fish, it's usually a "Head shot", being hooked ahead of the gill plate, or the fish is "Lined", Hooked in the mouth with the hook penetrating in from the outside. What do you guys think? Is keeping fish that are hooked like this OK? I have my opinions, but I want to hear what the rest of you think. I've had game Wardens tell me that I'm legal, but isn't there something about the fish having to "Bite" the lure? Am I within my rights to keep these fish? Or am I no better than someone who is standing on the riverbank ripping sides? Tell me what you think, your reactions to this post may change the way I choose to "Do Business" in the future. Thank you.

#117859 - 07/25/01 09:07 PM Re: A question about snagging
rainycity Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
I guess if the game warden tells you you`re legal it`s just a matter of how you feel about it.
Unless of course your 4 treble hooks are bigger than the guy fishing next to you. laugh

#117860 - 07/25/01 10:27 PM Re: A question about snagging
escapee Offline
Spawner

Loc: Marysville, Wa., USA
I have caught fish that I know for a fact that I "lined" but you would never be able to tell from the hook placement. Unless the hook I down the fish's throat it is a possible lining. The regs say the fish needs to take the hook voluntarily into it's mouth but unless you watch it happen I don't know how you could be sure. I never intentionally snag fish myself but if someone does on accident and is fishing in an area with a surplus of hatchery fish and thay are not keeping over their limit then what is big huge deal I know some people have with it? It's not like they are scooping fish out of the hatchery trap or killing natives, those activities degrade the rescource.Don't go ripping my head off now, I'm just wanting hear your opinion.

#117861 - 07/25/01 11:21 PM Re: A question about snagging
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Escapee: I would tend to agree with you. My opinion on the matter is that a Headshot is a Headshot and that there is no dishonor in keeping a lined fish. There, now that I said how I feel about "Lining", let's move on to "Snagging". I think that there is a difference between keeping a fish that has been lined and standing down at McCallister Creek with a Buzzbomb and Treble Hook And ripping sides.... I don't know, the whole reason I started this thread was because I wanted to hear other peoples' views, not so that I could just state my own oppinion. So C'mon! Hey Y'all? Superfly? Don't any of you guys have an oppinion on the subject?

#117862 - 07/25/01 11:28 PM Re: A question about snagging
Kunan Offline
Parr

Loc: Spanaway
I think it depends on the situation. These "SNAGFEST" areas are typically close to a hatchery where the run size far surpasses the capacity of the hatchery. The surplus fish will either rot on the bank or be enjoyed on somebodys table. So in that situation I say if it's OK by the warden it's OK by me. However there are many fisheries where I would release such a fish because of the situation and the state of the fishery.

"FISH ON!"

#117863 - 07/26/01 02:22 AM Re: A question about snagging
LittleZoZo'sWife Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Rochester
Well, honey. It is like this....if you want someones opinion, ask your little wifey. If you are trying your hardest to do the right thing, and one or two fish end up "illegaly" caught, so be it. It is not like most of you are out there to rape the run. (ie: indians) eek

#117864 - 07/26/01 02:34 AM Re: A question about snagging
centerpin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The Terrace
Typical Snagfest angler
1. fishes small or low water
2.hooks fish in a--hole,and comments what a bite
3.snagger's butt buddie nets fish and keeps
back to other fisherman till hook is removed.
4.Poses with uneadable fish for photo
5.usally leaves all tash where fish was snagged
6.Would not know a true bite,even if a fish bit his johnson mad

#117865 - 07/26/01 03:16 AM Re: A question about snagging
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
If the fish doesn't volentarilly take the lure/bait inside it's mouth it is illegal to keep and therefore unethical to keep.
If during your normal fishing you commonly foul hook fish then there is a problem with your method.

#117866 - 07/26/01 05:07 AM Re: A question about snagging
Anonymous
Unregistered

Technically, if a hook point penetrates the fishes head/jaw from the outside and the point goes thru to the inside of it's mouth it is illegal to keep the 'lined' fish. Many gammies are reluctant to cite this as infraction because of the large excess hatchery runs the last couple of years, as well as a lack of clear snagging intent. That doesn't make it right. Whether it's ethical or not to keep an excess hatchery fish in this manner is hard to say - let your conscience be your guide. I catch enough fish legally that I would release such a hooked fish. If I didn't, I honestly don't know what I would do. I probably would release it to set a proper example though. As for blantant rip snaggers, they are a breed below liners for sure. We should all report them to gammies to help curtail this, because they will continue to do this when the runs dwindle again if they are not cited and fined. My $0.02 worth.

RT

#117867 - 07/26/01 06:15 AM Re: A question about snagging
Aqua Man Offline
Eyed Egg

If someone wants to snag/line fish it's their choice. I'll look the other way since no one seems to care. It's just getting to the point that these are the prefered methods. The last thing I want to do is trash bank anglers but when I walk into a spot that's what's going on most of the time. I'm sure there are many reasons, some have been stated. One more reason may be the larger amount of fishers and the limited number of spots to fish. When you still fish with corkies you can pack a lot of guys in one area with limited conflict. When lots of guys are fishing a slot linning keeps things running smooth there. When we fish in a boat we have the option to choose other methods to get fish to "bite." With the increase in anglers and limited bank spots it's no wonder it's come to this.

I don't see any way to change it. It's not for me so I just have to use my boat more and say good bye to some of my favorite bank spots.

#117868 - 07/26/01 10:38 AM Re: A question about snagging
Hey Yall Watch This Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia....beeyotch
Several debates could arise from opinions on snagging, regarding motive and ethics.

People don't realize, that when they pile up and snag at a hatchery and think that it's all right aren't seeing the whole picture. First, how do you know if the hatchery is actually going to meet its quota with flying colors?

Second, they do transplants on the eggs to other hatcheries, as well as these extra eggs help in biological research.

If it's in the mouth, then it's in the mouth, but personally the grade of the fish would have to be pretty high for me to keep a fish. I usually don't keep a fish for myself. I just pass them off to my dad who can't catch fish. Regarding the whole issue, if the fish aren't biting, then just leave and hit another spot or another river.

thefishinggoddess.com fan club

#117869 - 07/26/01 10:52 AM Re: A question about snagging
Dr Pepper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim, Washington
Littlezozo here is my opinion. We all have our own personal rules for fishing. My basic thing for keeping fish is: If it's a native it always goes back and if it's a legal hatchery fish I bonk it. So if I foul hooked a legal hatchery fish I would keep it. If you foul hook fish consistently than why would you want to release it and foul hook another one? You mentioned Hoodsport on your list of "snag fests." I was told that the chum there swim around with their mouth open. So when they come across your line it is easily picked up in their mouth and all you do from the shore is feel a "bite". I've never fished from Hoodsport before though. Went through Hoodsport yesterday and saw some people fishing from the beach and out in boats by that hatchery. I assume they were fishing for pinks.

It is your own personal choice whether to keep that fish or not.

~ Dr Pepper

http://www.steelheader.net

#117870 - 07/26/01 11:35 AM Re: A question about snagging
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
Geez, just because your getting it in the mouth doesn't mean that your not snagging or if your more sensitive about that term then lining. I gotta think that if you've been around you know weather your just out to line fish or actually show some skill and catch them. To me lining is about the most unrewarding type of fishing out there. But that is more of an ethical question than a legal one if your getting them in the mouth. The thing that has confused me is even if you show a guy how to catch them, because they are not snagging a fish every cast and have to actually fish it seems like they go back to snagging. Its too bad. Think if comes down to what type of fisherman you want to be and to be seen as. I'd lean toward catching or learing to catch than to lining. Just think its much more personlly rewarding.

Tight lines

Kevin

#117871 - 07/26/01 11:54 AM Re: A question about snagging
MasterBaiter Offline
Parr

Loc: HUMBOLDT
Before I got my boat, I enduldged in the "lining" festivities on hatchery dominated runs. In my circle of fishing buddies we had a code that we imposed on each other. If the fish was hooked in the mouth then it was fair game, under the chin, in the nose or anywhere else in the head was not acceptable. If you foul hooked a fish (tail, belly, side, etc.) you would break them off immediately. Usually you could tell by the fight if it was fair or not.

I am shocked and appalled by the increased number of blatant snaggers over the past few years, you know the guys that set the hook every 10 seconds and at the end of the drift or those jigging with huge gibbs minnows.

Also I have encountered many newbies who actually think the fish are biting when casting a hook with a tiny 4mm bead and others that believe that a fish hooked anywhere in the head is fair game. Sometimes a line job does feel like a bite until you land it and closely look at the hook placement. If the fish is in the mouth, it is impossible to "PROVE" that the fish did not bite in a court of law.

#117872 - 07/26/01 12:34 PM Re: A question about snagging
Suzuki Sandman Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Lacey,Washington
My father-in law and I went to Potlatch on Tuesday evening and tried some trolling near the boat launch with little luck. It was our first time at the Hood and my first salmon trip this year. We hoped to hook up on some salmon, but didnt. Probably due to lack of knowledge about the Hood and bait used. But We noticed every boat that launched headed up to the hatchery. So We pulled our lines and followed. Much to our surprise, It was a huge snag fest. There must have been 80+ people standing in the low waters chasing schools of salmon around. It was like they were 2 yrs old in Disney Land and had just seen Mickey Mouse. This was not my idea of Salmon fishing. I watched to see what the majority of people were doing and using. Some anglers were fly fishing, and some anglers were using corkie's and yarn. But most of the people (for lack of wanting to use profanity) that were hooking up were ripping buzz bombs into the schools of salmon. I figured that there was no way that these idiots could get away with this in front of a hatchery and in view of so many other fishermen. But it continued to happen. Not my idea of true sport fishing. We left the area after about an hour and tried more trolling with no success. I would rather catch no salmon making an honest attempt. Than catch many fish using illegal and unsportsman like acts of snagging.
So my question to all of you is this. I read about the Hood being a good place to fish for salmon. Are many of you refferring to the hatchery or is there really good places to fish in the Hood. If so I'd like some input on what works.

Thanks
Suzuki Sandman

#117873 - 07/26/01 12:48 PM Re: A question about snagging
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I fish the salt primarily, so I haven't incidentally snagged that many fish. I did hook a king of about 7 pounds two weeks ago in the top of the dorsal fin off of a downrigger. Go figure? Kings were closed, and he had a small rip in the back, so he was released.

If they are hooked in the mouth, and legal to keep, they become mine as I don't own an underwater camera that hooks up to my swivel, just yet. I never try to snag, but it has happened a few times when fishing for chums out at Johns Creek. Some of those tail hooked chums put up a spectacular fight, but in the end, they get released by me. That is not always the case with others.

Fish the right way, you'll have more fun if you're not looking over your shoulder.

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#117874 - 07/26/01 12:51 PM Re: A question about snagging
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Buzzbombs sometimes get a bad rap, but I have hooked many silvers when they were chasing the candlefish close to shore. They are just a tool that can be misused.

Andy

#117875 - 07/26/01 01:03 PM Re: A question about snagging
PiperFLA Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bremerton WA, USA
I agree with you about the buzzbombs dogfish, but when was the last time anyone saw a school of bait around the hoodsport hatchery???

#117876 - 07/26/01 01:35 PM Re: A question about snagging
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Can someone, anyone tell me where the old wives tale of the "headshot" or "if it's hooked from the gillplates forward, it's a legal fish" is stated in the regs? Excuse me, but that is such a bullsh*t excuse! When you fish in front of a hatchery for salmon, in non-flowing water, with corkies and yarn, what do you think is going to happen in most cases? SNAGGED FISH. The way I view it is this, If you have to keep a foul-hooked fish to eat, just go to Safeway and buy one. Intent is what separates true snaggers from those who accidentally foul-hook fish. It has happened to all of us at some point I'm sure. I'm not here to preach ethics, or to pass judgement. In my opinion, if there is any doubt, just let the fish go!

#117877 - 07/26/01 01:58 PM Re: A question about snagging
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Did you know that at one time, WDF encouraged snagging on the Cowlitz?

Did you also know that WDF (now WDFW) in the early 70's originally proposed to build large "snagging" ponds on the Cowlitz River just above the Barrier Dam so that excess hatchery fish could be snagged and harvested? The only reason that these "snagging" ponds were not built, was because Tacoma Power did not want to pay WDF for doing it. So here you go, you have an agency in one hand telling us that it's a great way to harvest extra hatchery fish then, and now they are telling us that its an illegal unsportmens like way if we snag "hatchery fish" now.

You figure it out!!! confused confused confused confused

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#117878 - 07/26/01 02:08 PM Re: A question about snagging
rainycity Offline
Returning Adult

4SALT,
I`d fish with you anytime../

#117879 - 07/26/01 02:10 PM Re: A question about snagging
PiperFLA Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bremerton WA, USA
I landed a fish a few years back that was broke off by someone else. My hook somehow hooked the hole in the corkie. Just what are the chances of that ever happening... damn those corkies are pretty strong... This was a few years ago before my "eyes were opened" so to speek, so I kept it. Legally should I have turned it loose?? I realize morally I should have... now it could be said that my hook snagged a loose rig hung up on the bottom and then the fish hit it the goober of eggs and yarn still attached to it. (not bloody likely but it could have happened that way). Any Ideas if I was legal or not.

#117880 - 07/26/01 02:16 PM Re: A question about snagging
kalamabama Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: LaCenter Wa USA
Well it is snaggfest time or at least it is just around the conner. To me it is simple some people go out to snag fish this is the only way they know how to catch a fish. They should get ticketed. Some people go out to catch fish at this point most people will let foul hooked fish go. Everyone knows who they are and what they are doing. I do not like the crowds and do not fish the hachery intakes but I do know some other spots that the fish will stack up in and will fish them. Last year I had real good luch pitching warts for the silvers and kings in the rivers and will be doing the same for them this year

#117881 - 07/26/01 02:58 PM Re: A question about snagging
ZOZO Offline
Alevin

Loc: Chehalis
Hmmmm, Lot's of different views on this one. Here's my take: Don't intentionally snag fish. Don't keep a foul hooked fish, I don't care if it's hatchery or Native.... Don't keep it. If they fish is Head Shot, then it's fair game....Simple as that. If the fish is hooked in the top of the head, or back by the gills, I consider it to be foul hooked and I let it go. If the line ran through the fish's mouth, I don't care if the hook is down in its throat or outside its lip, it's going home with me. I'll bonk it everytime.

#117882 - 07/26/01 03:23 PM Re: A question about snagging
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Bremalo,

I have seen lots of bait hanging around the hatchery around spawning time. They are between 4 and 20 pounds and fight like hell. Of course they're bait for seals and orcas, but they are still bait. wink

4salt, you're right on the money. I have also caught a rod with a fish on it. The fish took it right off of the bank. Headed down the bank where I was and fouled in my line. Once I got to the rod, I handed it off to the guy who lost the rod. Now that's a conundrum! Did I snag, and did I do an illegal handoff.

#117883 - 07/27/01 08:12 PM Re: A question about snagging
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Hey guys, do any of you hunt? Think about it, the deer, duck, etc. doesn't volutarily "take" the bullet/shot/arrow do they? Yet this is legal. So why isn't snagging surplus, etc. fish still legal? Same kind of concept. Is it immoral to hunt, like many of us think it is to keep snagged fish? I'm not saying hunting's wrong or the intentional snagging of fish is right, but just something to think about.

On a side note, I hooked a fish a while back that I swear was hooked in the mouth (I seen the hook hanging out of it's mouth when it jumped). Well, the fish goes under and then my line went slack. I thought I'd lost it then I felt a hard pull and realized nope he's still there. The fish jumped a second time and the hook was dangling from just behind the gillplate. I had lost it and then the fish became snagged. Was it wrong that I kept this fish since I was sure it had bit in the first place? Or had it, maybe I just made myself see that hook hanging from it's mouth out there? confused After I landed it I noticed a small blood spot/hole on the lower jaw where a hook possibly penetrated... confused

My personal opinion of snagging fish? I would not feel very good about keeping a fish that was intentionally "hooked" anywhere other than in the mouth (and certainly wouldn't take a picture to brag about the fish). Hell, I even felt bad about keeping the above described springer this year. frown

BTW, I'm not a tree hugger or an immature @$$hole fish snagger, so please don't bash me either. rolleyes

[ 07-27-2001: Message edited by: Krome Brite ]

#117884 - 07/27/01 10:30 PM Re: A question about snagging
Leadslinger Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Wa,USA
To compare snagging salmon to hunting deer would only be fitting if you corralled(sp)the deer.
What sport would it be to shoot captive game?
It wouldn't be fair or sporting and neither is snagging.
Intentional snagging is utterly disrespectful to the fish and the sport.
I figure that if the fish makes it as far as it has it rates a little respect.Consider the odds it has beat to be where it is at.Then some punk buzz bombs it in the side drags it up on the beach,rips the treble out and kicks the fish back in the river.
Screw that.
If you can't beat the fish one on one,fair and legal,then leave it alone.

#117885 - 07/27/01 10:42 PM Re: A question about snagging
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Not trying to stir up any $#!+, just offering a comparison. wink

#117886 - 07/27/01 11:15 PM Re: A question about snagging
Leadslinger Offline
Juvenille at Sea

We're cool KB.My beef is with intentional snagging.Accidental snagging of a fish is different.As far as keeping a fish that is legally hooked but may or may not have actually bit,I'm not sure about that one.I guess that would be up to the individual.

[ 07-28-2001: Message edited by: Leadslinger ]

#117887 - 07/28/01 11:30 AM Re: A question about snagging
Dr Pepper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Well, what if you foul hook a legal fish and it's ripped on the side? I would keep it.

#117888 - 07/28/01 12:08 PM Re: A question about snagging
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Ripped on the side is no excuse to keep a foul hooked fish, i've caught fish that have healed over seal bites as big as a golf ball.

#117889 - 07/28/01 01:38 PM Re: A question about snagging
Leadslinger Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Dr.Pepper.
I meant a legally [hooked] fish,rather than any legal fish that is illegally snagged.
I will edit the post.

#117890 - 07/28/01 07:41 PM Re: A question about snagging
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Dr. Pepper,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by keeping a "foul-hooked legal fish"? As far as I know, there is no such thing. Foul-hooked IS illegal. In my opinion, anyone that tries to justify certain circumstances, knows when they're doing something illegal or unethical, just by trying to gain sympathy, or convince others that what they were doing is legitimate.

Those that INTENTIONALLY snag, know when they are doing it. Let your conscience be your guide. cool

#117891 - 07/29/01 01:04 AM Re: A question about snagging
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

OK, cool Leadslinger. wink

Now that everyone's expressed their opinions, let's get back to fishing. laugh

#117892 - 07/29/01 01:34 AM Re: A question about snagging
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hate snaggers! I watched a group of guys snagging the **** out of fall salmon last year at Richwine bar. They were throwing spoons with BIG trebbles on them and as soon as they felt the spoon bump a fish they were jerking like no tomorrow.

I actually saw a member of this board in on the action. He hasnt posted for a while but I wont say who it is.

#117893 - 07/29/01 01:50 AM Re: A question about snagging
Dr Pepper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

We all have our own morals and ethics. I catch and release just about every fish I catch, but if I catch a legal fish (length and species) that is bleeding bad or hooked in the eye or something like that, I'll keep it. I just can't see throwing back a legal fish that I know isn't going to make it. So I guess if I accidentally snagged a hatchery silver and it was of legal size and bleeding where the hook got him, I would keep it. 4Salt, I don't want to start anything unfriendly here, but I do think this is legitimate. Accidental snagging seems to be a rare occurance to me so this doesn't happen consistently. Just my opinion.

#117894 - 07/29/01 01:51 AM Re: A question about snagging
Dr Pepper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

We all have our own morals and ethics. I catch and release just about every fish I catch, but if I catch a legal fish (length and species) that is bleeding bad or hooked in the eye or something like that, I'll keep it. I just can't see throwing back a legal fish that I know isn't going to make it. So I guess if I accidentally snagged a hatchery silver and it was of legal size and bleeding where the hook got him, I would keep it. 4Salt, I don't want to start anything unfriendly here, but I do think this is legitimate. Accidental snagging seems to be a rare occurance to me so this doesn't happen consistently. Just my opinion.

#117895 - 07/29/01 02:27 AM Re: A question about snagging
cz Offline
Alevin

No matter how you justify it, it's still snagging and retaining an illegaly caught fish. Intentional, or not, the fish should be released - I guess it's an individual choice but if I saw someone doing what is being described, they would hear about it. No hard feelings, just my two cents...

#117896 - 07/29/01 03:42 PM Re: A question about snagging
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

A Head shot is a Head Shot is aHead Shot, and I don't fault anyone for keeping a fish hooked in this manner, weather it intentionally bit the hook or not. Dr Pepper has a point with keeping a fish that is bleeding badly.... I'm really not rationalizing here, it's just that I think I'd rather see somebady keep one "Accidentally" snagged fish, then to rip the $hit out of the sides of a dozen or more fish just in the name of getting one "Legal" fish that they can keep without getting a ticket. Also, there's things that a fellow can do to help ensure that he's not going to be foul hooking one fish after another, there is a distinct difference between the feel of a "Line Bump" and a bite, and even though a lot of people will call me crazy, I swear that I can feel the difference between a bite and when the line is just "flossing" between the fishes teeth. Just don't jerk everytime you feel a "Line Bump". Every once in a while,a guy is going to foul hook a fish, it can't be helped, but there is no reason for a guy to foul hook twenty fish in a row..... When that happens, it can only be intentional..... And intentionally snagging fish is anything but sporting.

#117897 - 07/29/01 09:33 PM Re: A question about snagging
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Did you bust them low life b******s, RICH G.?

#117898 - 07/29/01 09:36 PM Re: A question about snagging
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Whoops, double post.

[ 07-29-2001: Message edited by: Krome Brite ]

#117899 - 07/29/01 11:50 PM Re: A question about snagging
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nope, I dont have any power in that area. The bad thing about fall salmon season is that it is the same time as hunting season. The gammies are spread so thin they are all trying to catch people on game violations and dont have time to go lookin for snaggers.

Fish Head Fred paid a visit and chewed a little bass.

#117900 - 07/30/01 01:04 AM Re: A question about snagging
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Dr. Pepper,

My apologies if my last post seemed hostile to you in particular. I was just trying to understand what you meant by "foul-hooked legal fish". I didn't mean to imply that you, and LittleZoZo were snaggers. My frustration stems from seeing so many fall salmon foul-hooked (usually somewhere in the head, but not the mouth) kept, and rationalized that it was legal. As I said before, those that intentionally foul-hook fish (not necessarily ripping at them, but setting the hook frequently while drifting through stacked up fish) know that they are probably going to snag a fish. It is those who have no respect for the resource, leave trash on the banks, keep more that their limit etc... that leave me cynical as to the future of our sport.

#117901 - 07/30/01 12:51 PM Re: A question about snagging
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Fish can survive a lot of damage and still live. I caught three sockeye with net damage last year in Lake Washington. One was missing about 3 quare inches of skin, but yet they were still healthy enough to bite and put up a spectauclar fight.

A few other points. If you unintentially snag a fish in the river and let it go, it may die, but if it does those nutrients still go back into the river. If it lives the fish may spawn and then it will still die. All is not lost when the fish dies, but if your methods end up snagging a lot of fish, ask for instruction, or look for a different method.

I have snagged a fish before, and I know that the odds are with me when I say that most, if not all, of you have snagged a fish at least once in your life. Some are on purpose, others not. Mine weren't. Keep it clean. Andy

#117902 - 07/30/01 01:32 PM Re: A question about snagging
Leadslinger Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Good points Dogfish.
The fish won't go to waste when you release it.If you keep it and get caught,I don't think you'll get any sympathy from a fish cop.If it was legal to keep incidentally snagged,mortally wounded,fish the intentional snaggers would all claim a legal right to keep their ill gotten fish.
I understand the desire to not waste the fish,but releasing it to die is the least worst option here.

#117903 - 07/31/01 07:04 PM Re: A question about snagging
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Funny topic. I have no problem with snagging/lining when it's LEGAL to do so. The only fisheries I know of where it's legal to line fish is up in AK. I'll be the first to admit that lining Reds up on the Kenai is fun and addicting! Not to mention that I'm damn good at it! wink

Down in WA, I have all the problems in the world with snagging/lining and truly hate the people that intentionally line/snag fish.

I hear the "it's hooked forward of the gillplate so it's legal" crap all the freeking time and it truly pisses me off. All it tells me is that person telling me this is a complete trailer trash moron. I've come to associate snaggers/liners with trailer trash morons. Too dumb to realize they are dumb as a post.

If I even think I'm lining fish, I'll do everything I can to change my tactics so I won't line/snag fish.

Just like fishing for nates. I'll completely change my tactics to least harm the fish.

Nothing like being threatened over email from one of the Infamous Big Eddy Coho Snaggers on the Snohomish River. What a bunch of losers.

Parker

#117904 - 07/31/01 07:26 PM Re: A question about snagging
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Silly question. How do you know when you have "lined" a fish?

I have hooked over 30 salmon this year where one hook was IN the mouth, and the other was under the jaw, in the eye, on the side of the head, or on the top of the head (all over). This is with a standard fixed 2-hook mooching set-up. I had no problem keeping these fish if they were legal to keep, about 1 in 5 fish were, but what are your thoughts?

I also caught one hatchery silver that was hooked in the top of the head, and the other hook was free, but the lower right jaw had been ripped away from the joint. I figured that the first hook had ripped free and kept the fish.

Andy

#117905 - 07/31/01 09:00 PM Re: A question about snagging
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
That's a different gig altogether. It's very common with mooching leaders to have one hook in the mouth and one hook elsewhere. But, when you're using a 6 foot leader and a 3/0 hook, and your fish are hooked in the outside of the mouth, it's not a fair-hookup.

Out at Hoodsport, I hooked about a half dozen in the head which were clearly foul-hooked fish. They were all turned loose, just like the ones I hooked in the tail. The ones that bit, and if you were patient they'd bite, got smacked. There were so many swimming through at times that foul-hooking fish was inevitable, and you had as good a chance to foul hook them in the head as anywhere else.

If you want no chance of getting a ticket, the Fish laws clearly state that a fish must voluntarily take your offering, and if it doesn't, it's foul-hooked: head, tail, belly, back or otherwise. It's your pocketbook........

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#117906 - 07/31/01 10:04 PM Re: A question about snagging
Anonymous
Unregistered

I tried to post something about some snagging that has gone on on the Kalama but some dickhead accused me of hiding something so I took it off. Anyone wanting to know about this outlaw can email me.

#117907 - 07/31/01 11:18 PM Re: A question about snagging
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
You posted it in this thread? And you took it off? Why would you do that?

#117908 - 08/01/01 12:00 PM Re: A question about snagging
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#117909 - 08/01/01 07:29 PM Re: A question about snagging
Anonymous
Unregistered

Whatever rolleyes

#117910 - 08/02/01 12:35 AM Re: A question about snagging
bob b Offline
Smolt

Loc: Eugene,Or.
Snagging is not fishing,plain and simple. Fall chinook fishing Florence Or.Siuslaw Bay,trolling cut plugged herring hooked a 25lb. salmon,20 min. a tired fish legally hooked ran under the boat,in an instant the line went slack then tight again. This fish then made a 60ft.run,5min.later the fish went belly up,the trailing hook penetrated the eye socket,on rolling under the boat I lost then illegally rehooked the fish. What now? I believe keeping a dying fish is ethical.

#117911 - 08/02/01 02:03 AM Re: A question about snagging
Dr Pepper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Bob, I say meat on the table to that story! The fish was a willing biter to begin with so I would say that is fine.

I guess earlier in my posting I was just thinking about last year on the Dungeness River in Sequim during the silver run. There were lots of hatchery silvers. One time I foul hooked a legal hatchery silver and I kept it. A few days before that I had volunteered at the Dungeness hatchery and hit hundreds of fish in the head that they brought in. There were plenty of fish to meet the needs of eggs for the hatchery. In other circumstances I would probably release a fish like this, but there was no need to on the Dungeness. But going down there early in the season and doing that wouldn't be too good. The Dungeness sees plenty of intentional snaggers......

~ Dr Pepper

#117912 - 08/02/01 10:51 AM Re: A question about snagging
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by Steelhead Stew:
Whatever rolleyes

When my younger sister says this it means that they just lost the debate.

#117913 - 08/03/01 08:44 PM Re: A question about snagging
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Fobb, what happened to all the good "vibes"that everyone,including me, gave on ifish when you got canned from you job? Now you just pile on when there's an argument.

[ 08-03-2001: Message edited by: Steelhead Stew ]

#117914 - 08/03/01 09:59 PM Re: A question about snagging
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

I've never known you to let anyone intimidate you into doing something, Stu. What I was trying to say to you without saying it was it was not like you to let someone with some sort of craneo-phallyc disorder dictate (pun?) to you what you should and shouldn't post, especially over here.

You aren't under the iron grip of Jennie over here, so if someone has a problem with what you posted then that's their tough jerky. If the moderators have a problem with it, then they will deal with it apropriately.

Now quit being a WUSSIE GIRL and repost what you had earlier. wink laugh If there are names involved, then just change them to protect the guilty. Or provide them and we'll do a public hanging.

#117915 - 08/04/01 01:54 AM Re: A question about snagging
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Geeze Guys, I was just asking about Lining vs Snagging. I didn't mean for everyone to get all pissed off at each other. C'mon guys, kiss and make up.

#117916 - 08/04/01 12:58 PM Re: A question about snagging
fishkisser99 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Eastsound, WA, USA
Ok, so let me play de debil's advocate here and postulate the following factual events:

I was fishing an eddy on the Nooksack last fall with a float and roe for hatchery silvers when a fish jumped OVER and ONTO my line between the rodtip and the float and became tangled up...I pulled it in and untangled it and let it go on its way but wouldn't that qualify as a "voluntary" take? Ever seen a kitten play with string?

And another:

Fishing kings one year my (now ex-) wife hooked and played a big ol' dark buck all the way to the bank where we discovered that the hook point didn't even penetrate the fish, although it was attached firmly in the fish's upper jaw. The line was wrapped around its hooked snout, and the hook had caught on the line, essentially turing the hook and leader into a choker...we released that lassoed fish because it was dark and ugly, but I've wondered...voluntary? She wasn't attempting to snag or line the fish...would you call that a legal fluke, or an illegal fluke?

#117917 - 08/04/01 11:56 PM Re: A question about snagging
Aqua Man Offline
Eyed Egg

It's not a question of getting away with something. It's not a question of proving you didn't cheat. FISHING IS A FUK{ING SPORT!!!!! The out right cheaters need to be kicked off the damn team and the silent cheaters should take up quilt making or some other sissy hobby.

Let the words, "Nice fish..to bad it was foul hooked" and "Nice fish.. sure it wasn't flossed" echo across the waters. hehehe

#117918 - 08/05/01 12:57 AM Re: A question about snagging
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Still don't understand how there is anything unethical about keeping a "Flossed" fish.

#117919 - 08/06/01 01:22 AM Re: A question about snagging
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Will someone please let me know how you can tell if a fish was flossed? thanks

#117920 - 08/06/01 03:02 AM Re: A question about snagging
flickyourjig Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Saxon,wa.
Lil zo & Dogfish,
read all the post's and see just where you're comin from. Dog, a flossed fish will be hooked on the outside of the mouth which is what zozo see's as a headshot. If this happens to ya and you got propane then it's BONK in my opinion, that is, if your fishin for fun and grill, not just fun.Fishees mouth is open, leader gets caught in it, current drags on belly of mainline and WHAMMO, you've been flossin. Feels like a stop, not a bite, and the hook will generally be on the outside of the mouth.
Just my 1.5 cents worth. smile

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 1036 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |