Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118181 - 07/30/01 10:04 PM boat trailer hub parts
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Yeehaw!,

I finally get to rebuild the hubs on my boat trailer, and I was wondering if anyone had a suggestions on where I need to go to for parts. I called Shorelander, but was too late to get in touch with them today, east coast. All of the autoparts stores just shrugged their shoulders. I will be replacing everything, hub, bearings, nuts, cotterpins, and new bearing buddies.

It doesn't look like rocket science, but is there anything that I need to watch out for so that I'm not stranded on the side of the road with a nice furrow in the blacktop leading up to my trailer?

Your help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#118182 - 07/30/01 10:25 PM Re: boat trailer hub parts
deaconblues Offline
Egg

Check out Championtrailers.com. They have galvanized hubs, bearings, everything you need. Although their website doesn't list them, they do have galvanized hubs. Give them a call. Greg

#118183 - 07/31/01 12:31 AM Re: boat trailer hub parts
fishinfreak Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympia, WA USA
I would recommend that you check out six roblees in Tacoma. I just purchased a whole new axle and hub set from them. It looked like they carry just about everything that is needed for a trailer. After calling several places they were the cheapest by far. Hope this helps.

#118184 - 07/31/01 01:14 AM Re: boat trailer hub parts
Finegrain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodinville, WA, USA
I recommend www.championtrailers.com

I just replaced my brakes, drum hubs, leaf springs, actuator, and brake lines.

Mike
Woodinville

Finegrain
Woodinville

#118185 - 07/31/01 09:20 AM Re: boat trailer hub parts
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
Tag-a-long trailers in Auburn. Affordable and helpful.

Bob D

#118186 - 07/31/01 11:58 AM Re: boat trailer hub parts
Ron Bob Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carnation, wa
I just replaced my bearing and races this winter and got all I needed from NAPPA auto parts. I took in my old bearing and seal they matched me right up. They ordered my new ones and I was back on the road in a couple of days.

#118187 - 07/31/01 01:13 PM Re: boat trailer hub parts
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Thanks guys for the info. The parts are on the way. Even ordered new leaf springs.

Is there anything that I need to look out for on the installation that is a definite no-no, or that could lead to a very serious problems in the future if not done right? I did order bearing buddies as well, and this trailer does see a fair amount of salt water.

Anything else besides yearly repack, and washing it down every time it hits the water? I usually hit the buddy with a squirt of grease before every long trip, more than 50 miles or so.

Thanks again for your help. Andy

#118188 - 07/31/01 04:51 PM Re: boat trailer hub parts
Finegrain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodinville, WA, USA
1. When I got my new springs, the center bolt was upside down for my axle. Luckily it came apart with a cheater on a socket wrench and I just flipped it around.

2. I tried to put either fresh paint, LPS #3, or grease on every surface, even the galvanized ones. I know it's not a long-term fix, but it will forestall the Rust Monster.

3. I installed a washdown kit -- I now take 5 minutes to rinse out the brakes when I launch and again when I retrieve. The 6 hours when the trailer sits in the sun (sometimes) with saltwater in/on them probably is when most rust occurs.

4. The extra $24 to use the lift at Cap Sante instead of the ramp at Washington Park suddenly seems more worth it. smile smile

Mike
Woodinville

Finegrain
Woodinville

#118189 - 07/31/01 05:16 PM Re: boat trailer hub parts
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Hi Finegrain,

I ordered the galvanized hubs, but mine are idlers, no brakes. I like the idea of the paint/grease coatings, but the salt will eventually get to it all. If I can get a few more years out of them, it will be worth it.

As for the slip launches, I haven't ever fished in an area where they had one. This trailer has lasted me 13 years and other than a new set of lights and a wiring harness, this is the first time I have needed to do anything to it other than repack the bearings. I only spent $200 on parts, so I don't see the cost benefit, but then again, I don't have brakes on my trailer like you. I am sure that that can add to the rebuild cost.

Thanks for all of your help, everyone. I may have questions when the package arrives on the UPS truck.

Andy

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: Dogfish ]

#118190 - 07/31/01 10:06 PM Re: boat trailer hub parts
tilla Offline
Parr

Loc: Portland
Most of those trailer parts are found at industrial bearing suppliers like Applied Industrial Tech, Kaman Industrial Tech and Motion Ind. Some of these guys have the whole thing in kit form. They are in most major cities. There are at least a dozen in Wa.

#118191 - 07/31/01 10:26 PM Re: boat trailer hub parts
wit45cal Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puyallup WA
My machine shop specializes in titanium and stainless steel among other hard metals. I have thought about making several items for boating from these materials. Our bookkeeper has the trickest downrigger mounts around on her boat and has had repeated problems with the hubs and bearings. I know we will be making hubs for atv's soon...(banshees and such) and if I decide to go ahead and make some titanium or stainless hubs for boat trailers I will let you know. Is that something you all would be willing to pay for? The stainless wouldn't be too bad but the titanium would be spendy. I would be surprised if the stainless wasn't already available.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 1204 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |