LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118353 - 08/02/01 01:14 AM has anybody used the calcuttas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

what did you think about these reels? have you had any problems with them? confused

#118354 - 08/02/01 01:24 AM Re: has anybody used the calcuttas?
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
I have three calcutta's (1-200 and 2-250's) and love them. They cast beautifully and after two years of fishing fireline drifting for kings I had to have one rebuilt. John's Sporting goods in Everett only charged $28.00 and it cast almost better than before. I can't say enough... awesome reel!
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#118355 - 08/02/01 02:14 AM Re: has anybody used the calcuttas?
spoongoon Offline
Egg

Loc: federal way, WA.
I have a 200,251, and a 400. These are great reels, but you would be smart to learn how to service these reels your self.
The drags, although smooth can get very sticky if they get wet or to dry.
Part of the drag assembly is a thick/soft cloth like material drag washer. This is what makes these drags so smooth, and so damn sticky when damp or to dry. You need to take this washer out and dry it out under a lamp, then you need to gently massage into the washer, shimano star drag grease. Do not try to use a sustitute for this process, and dont use to much of this grease. Then reassemble, and you should be fine.
You will also need to periodically take the two bearings out of reel and douse with lighter fluid and spin bearings until all residual oil is removed, then add one drop of shimano bearing oil and spin until it is dispersed through bearing. Dont do this to the roller anti reverse bearing, this requires a grease instead of oil, and is quite fragile.
Learning to do this myself has saved me a lot of money over the last three years.
hope this helps.
Derek

#118356 - 08/02/01 02:57 AM Re: has anybody used the calcuttas?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
That sounds like a lot of work to me. Had my Abu Garcia 6500 C3 since 1994 (wedding present from the wife). Caught over 300 salmon on it in salt and in rivers, and all I have ever done is made sure was rinsed off after each trip. My main rods, 2 Kunan graphites, I have had for over 12 years.

Sorry to sound like a newbie, but some of you guys spend huge bucks on some of your gear, and then have to fiddle with it all of the time. Is it really worth it?

I can remember three backlashes on this reel, all my fault, as I forgot to adjust the tension specific to my lure. Other than that, I have never had any failure.

When any other Abu Garcia/Berkley/Fenwick products of mine ever had ANY problem (tip broken because of my stupidity, twice, etc.), they always fixed them for free (I paid a minimal shipping charge), or they replaced the item with a similar item. I even bought an old reel without a crank handle at a garage sale once for a buck, sent it to them to get a new replacement handle, and they sent me a brand new reel.

I guess I won't know until I try one, but what is SOOOOOOOOO good about some of this equipment?

Thanks for your patience,

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#118357 - 08/02/01 03:47 AM Re: has anybody used the calcuttas?
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
Dogfish,

Do you know if Abu still makes that model, or what would be the equivalent? How much does a reel like that cost? I'm looking to get another river reel.

-N.

#118358 - 08/02/01 09:34 AM Re: has anybody used the calcuttas?
Duck In The Fog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima Wa. U.S.A.
Had a calcutta for springer season and didn't like the sloooooow retreive. Traded it (at a 70.00 loss) and bought a curado instead. Duck In The Fog

#118359 - 08/02/01 10:12 AM Re: has anybody used the calcuttas?
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
I have 2 Calcutta's A 251 and a 151. Both reels have performed flawless. mainly use the 151 for mylight steelhead fishing. The 251 sees both steelhead and salmon duty. Yea the gear ratio is a little slower than a Curado, But the Calcutta is a heck of a lot more durable. Both my Curados are all messed up.
The Shimanos are better reels than than 6 Abu's I have. I have 3 5501s 2 6501s and 1 5001. All my 5501s have had major problems. The springs wore out, The level wind gear popped out of the end of the spoolwhile fight a fish. On the 6501s the nylon gears that work the level wind have stripped.
Go with a Calcutta you wont be disappointed.

#118360 - 08/02/01 10:16 AM Re: has anybody used the calcuttas?
QwikSticks Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Brier, WA
I have had the 150 for steelhead and silver fishing for about 4 years now and it is my favorite reel. So far its only gotten sticky once, but the reel was very easy to disassemble and clean up. I also have a 6500 C3 (Chinook and Plug Rod) and a 4600 C4 (Float Rod). I can easily outcast both of those reels with the Calcutta.

#118361 - 08/02/01 10:57 AM Re: has anybody used the calcuttas?
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I have (2) 151's & (2) 251's along with 8 ABU's.Hands down the calcutta's out cast and have ten times the drag system's as the others,but I prefere the ABU's in some of the fisheries over the calcutta.They need to come out with a 351 & 451 for us lefty's.All in all if you can afford the calcutta then go for it.Just remember that you can get two
ABU's for the price of one calcutta.Good luck
STRIKE ZONE

#118362 - 08/02/01 12:17 PM Re: has anybody used the calcuttas?
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
Have any of you used the Penn International's, like the 965? If so, how do you think they compare to the Calcuttas or Abus?

-N.

#118363 - 08/02/01 12:33 PM Re: has anybody used the calcuttas?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Hey Stormin,

My dad just got a 6500 C5 for about 70-80 bucks. Not exactly sure on the price, but I think he got it a Fred Meyers. It has all of the same features as my C3, and other than the color, I don't see much of any difference. Both of these reels have a clicker feature which is nice when setting them on downriggers so you don't have to monitor your reel while lowering, you can just listem to it.

These reels have more than enough power to crank in the biggest fish you can catch. Used it on an albicore trip out of Westport and it was one of the few reels on the boat that could stop a 30 pound tuna, the captain had a pair of HIGH priced Penn rells that could have stopped a truck. These are some powerful fish that fight twice as hard as a king of the same size.

Killer warranty and great service support, much cheaper, and it works great.

Hope this helps,

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#118364 - 08/02/01 12:38 PM Re: has anybody used the calcuttas?
kalamabama Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: LaCenter Wa USA
I have the 250 and love it .Casts great has a great drag. Have never had a problem with it. I do take it apart once a year and clean it. I have always used powered teflon from dupont when lubing my reels works great. If you want to spend the money I would say buy one.

#118365 - 08/02/01 12:50 PM Re: has anybody used the calcuttas?
CraigH Offline
Fry

Loc: Northbend WA
I have 4ea Calcutta 400's that I use for springers and fall kings when using quick fish and Alvin's.These reels have also spent time on the Kenai and have held up really well. I also have acouple of 700's that I use for Sturgeon fishing in June when the giants are in. As far as for silvers and steelhead when drifting bait etc... I prefer a low profile reel like a Curado. I don't think you can go wrong with any Shimano product although they are pretty expensive.

#118366 - 08/03/01 11:11 AM Re: has anybody used the calcuttas?
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
I own an original Calcutta 1st year 90 or 91 and I love it,the past season I've been fish a Curado and for the money I like it ,but I'll be switching back for the fall to my old favorite.....Os

#118367 - 08/03/01 11:44 AM Re: has anybody used the calcuttas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you have drag problems with the reel go with a Teflon drag washer. Bob at Olympic Sporting Goods in Forks makes them and will install them for a small price. No more sticky drags and you will never need a new drag washer agian.

#118368 - 08/03/01 01:55 PM Re: has anybody used the calcuttas?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
I've been veryy happy overall with the ones I've run as boat reels for steelies the past 5-6 years. I have since switched to Curados for one reason only .... they seem to backlash a little less and easier to adjust the spool tension for not-so-skilled casters.

Drags are great when in good shape, but do need some work. I bought a punch kit and now make my own teflon drags for them as well as many of my other reels as well smile

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Excitable Bob), 1104 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |