Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119174 - 08/15/01 02:13 PM Deschutes plugs
Northriver Offline
Fry

Loc: Pendleton
I am planning on a trip to the deschutes I was going to take my boat to the mouth what are some popular plugs, plug colors for steelhead [fall chinook When they get there]. or would I be better to take my mountain bike up a few miles and fish the river itself.

#119175 - 08/15/01 05:47 PM Re: Deschutes plugs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I suggest trying both; fishing up the Deschutes and off the mouth out in the Columbia. The lower river will have some later arriving Deschutes fish as well as some upriver group B steelhead swimming up it a ways for a refreshing frolick before heading back out to the Columbia and on up to several rivers, such as the Clearwater River in Idaho. In the lower river try the ol' standard for plug success for Deschutes summer steelies; the regular size Tadpoly in the red with black dots pattern (with barbless siwash hooks). Back when I guided summers on the Deschutes in the 80's it was these Tadpolys that were most responsible for the 20 to 30 steelhead days when the bite was on. But most good color patterns and good plug brands work well there though. Of course those are among the best striking steelies in the world, so many things work well on them. They are just the best fly strikers around; even on top! And I bet you couldn't miss with any good spinners/spoons or good jig patterns for them with so many fish returning this year - as long as the water hasn't gotten too warm in the D yet [ www.firstcastjigs.com has a new green butt skunk jig pattern that should work great there - and elsewhere ]. Also try the black and red color combo in a good 1/4 oz. jig under a float. Another deadly method up the river that isn't used much is to use a tuned K-11 Kwikfish in those colors, or any good proven color pattern, and attach them to about a 40" leader and put a small slinky weight at the other end of the leader, then do a combo of drifting/swinging/hovering in good holding water. Bam! ...

As for trolling off the mouth out in the Columbia for a combo of group B steelies and early fall 'nooks the plug I suggest is Wiggle Warts; tough to beat. They dive deeper and and make more attracting noise, and both steelies and 'nooks bite them well. The Red w/black tigerstripes, chrome/chartreuse, and the Michael Jackson (black w/silver glitter) are only a few of the productive colors. Try some trolled K-14's too. With the Columbia currently around 72 degrees, and possibly climbing, the fish will definitely seek cooler water at the mouths of tribs to hold for awhile. Good luck, and let us know how these things work out.

Steve

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: RT 1 ]

#119176 - 08/15/01 05:51 PM Re: Deschutes plugs
Northriver Offline
Fry

What size wiggle warts, magnum etc. Do you know how the fishing has been, I have herd its been hit or miss

#119177 - 08/15/01 06:32 PM Re: Deschutes plugs
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
I know there are exceptions, but I've always used the Mag Warts for chinooks and the regular Warts for steelies and silvers.

I used to use a lot of Hot N Tots for steelies down there, but I'd probably switch over to Warts in the Columbia for steelies (Mag Warts if you wanted a chance at an Upriver Bright) and Tads in the D.

That RT guy - he's one sharp cookie! wink

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: parker ]

#119178 - 08/15/01 06:34 PM Re: Deschutes plugs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jon, I haven't fished up there in a couple years, but I do get info from friends that still go there. Both the standard and Mag Warts will work there, so try both to see if they prefer one over the other on any given day. With the water so warm this late summer I would also try very slowly trolling some Alvin blades, and the smaller copy version too. It may take a lot of experimenting to see what they will bite while they are being 'cooked' this year wink . I just hope the jerks who use the big heavy steel jigs (Crocks' and Buzzbombs, etc.) to snag fish don't make a big showing again!

Edit: Hey thanks Parker. You are a pretty sneaky fishermen yourself. smile

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: RT 1 ]

#119179 - 08/15/01 07:18 PM Re: Deschutes plugs
Northriver Offline
Fry

Thanx everyone for the info. I will go down there this weekend and try my luck at some steelies. will post a report when I get back

#119180 - 08/15/01 07:23 PM Re: Deschutes plugs
tilla Offline
Parr

Loc: Portland
Firetiger, Firetiger and of course Firetiger Wigglewart. Worked just fine last week on two different days. laugh

#119181 - 08/15/01 09:50 PM Re: Deschutes plugs
Northriver Offline
Fry

You all have filled in many blanks but one, what depth should I try and target steelhead, From past fishing experience on diferent rivers This factor has been very important

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dave Wilson, mike hudson
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1003 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13411
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63813 Topics
645810 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |