Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119520 - 09/04/01 01:14 AM Re: Quilcene Silvers
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Gooose, cool, just curious, I tried Visions a year or so ago and wasn't impressed (didn't break any, other reasons)I've had similar experiences with Lazers on the rare occassions I've used them. mad

#119521 - 09/04/01 02:02 AM Re: Quilcene Silvers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ak yeah cool! cool laugh All of us have been in search of the perfect hook for our fishin...sort of the holy grail thing. I've not found mine and I suspect I'll never will. The Lazer Sharps are definitely on my list of bad experiences ...again. mad When you have the big piggy on the hook the last thing you'd expect is hook failure! I need a hook for brutal fish, with no river to let them run in, the whole fight is essentially a face to face fist fight amongst instream structure between me and some really bad silvers! eek Any ideas other than 5/0 trebles the locals use is appreciated. laugh
Coho Challenged
Gooose

#119522 - 09/04/01 03:08 AM Re: Quilcene Silvers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Goose,

Do you fish any of the hood canal drainages for the monster sea runs that start showing now? How bout the one salt wild summer steelies in some of those rivers? When I lived in bremerton I fished the Union river tons and caught some huge sea runs and some one salt summerruns that start showing in a week or so.

How does the Dosie fish for the wild summers these days?

Im not planning on going there Id just like to hear some good news.

#119523 - 09/04/01 11:08 AM Re: Quilcene Silvers
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
A buddy and I fished the Quilcene Sunday afternoon, of the 50+ or so people we could see around us, only us two and one other guy were fishing legally. The rest of them were using about 6" of glow yarn and a weight on the end of their line... the classic cast & yank scenario.

Lots of fish moving up through there, some nice sized silvers, too. We managed to hook our limits legally in about 3 hours.

I was trying to run a little black and a little chartruese yarn at one point, kept hooking chums. Not sure if it was the black yarn or what.

What a circus.

-N.

#119524 - 09/04/01 10:37 PM Re: Quilcene Silvers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rich G sent you an e-mail on the SRC/SRS situation. The power bait worm is a good idea except for selective fishing gear waters. And I'd definitely not want to be out of compliance an inch on The Quil. One guy got nailed with 26 snagged fish plus other violations! eek mad His ticket was 26 snagged fish times $500 each plus change for the others. cool laugh A bunch of other tickets in the $500 to $1300 range. laugh
Still got a lot of snaggers but it looks like the regulars have disappeared or at least become a bit more careful. What we're getting now is newbies with their families from all over the state.
Storm'N with all the doggies throughout the river I wouldn't try anything green even a smidge unless your fishing a lucky spot with few if any dogs. I you were on the lower river Sunday afternoon that was probably me...you might have been just above me.
No more for me until we get serious rain plus I have to make a run to the big town for lead and black yarn.

Always FishOn!
Gooose laugh

#119525 - 09/05/01 12:37 AM Re: Quilcene Silvers
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
Goose, I don't know the place at all, we were there Monday afternoon, fished just up from Rodgers St, upstream of that guy's house with the big wall.

Come visit the new Swain's in Sequim, it's only maybe 40 minutes from Quilcene, and they have black yarn and lead, I bought some yarn there on Monday.

-N.

#119526 - 09/05/01 06:04 AM Re: Quilcene Silvers
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Puyallup, WA
How in the world did he get nailed for 26 snagged fish?? Was he 22 over his limit or was he intentionally snagging them and releasing them??
Now if the fish cop was just sittin back watching him snag all these fish I have a problem with that. If the fish cop cared for the run he'd dtop him right away. If he sat back and watched him do it, then he wants some $$ for the state. That's the way I see it anyways.
Now if he was 22 over his limit, OUCH, that's another big bunch of $$.

I heard the other day that the hatchery isn't taking any more fish in. They're full up.

#119527 - 09/05/01 09:32 PM Re: Quilcene Silvers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sinker the hatchery was more than full several weeks ago. You have to realise that this is not a matter of the run being endangered...it's essentially 100% a hatchery run. So what you're seeing coming back is the result of the hatchery and not from any natural production. Some of these snaggers are likely doing it for money so my hat is off to any officer who lets them push the limit before writing them a ticket that will have an effect....and a ticket for $13,000 plus might just have some effect don't you think? From what I've seen lately the only way to at least slow down the snaggers on these hatchery combat fisheries is apply the harshest impact possible with the few officers available. I'd personally like to see the loss of fishin priveleges for some of the worst offenders, followed by jail or community service time if they don't get the clue. In the case of the Quil it is all a matter of ethics, respecting the resource, and obeying the law...protecting this particular run as a resource is not a primary concern. On the other hand if there were wild silvers in there your .02 cents would be right on. Peace. Anyway tackle bag is reloaded and I'm prayin for rain as there reports from the salt that this run ain't a bit over.

Always FishOn!
Gooose laugh

#119528 - 09/06/01 11:51 PM Re: Quilcene Silvers
Kid Sauk Offline
I'm a freak'n CAKE

Loc: Almost on the beach
Goose, I didn't mean to say that the river itself is a joke. It's actually a lot of fun to fish and a unique fishery. The people, however, are a joke with all the snaggers in there. I guess your used to the blatant snagging which I am getting used to over there as well. We have had some really fun days over there when we can get away from the crowds and snaggers. Good to hear that there is some enforcement showing up over there. They need it. Let's hope it rains soon and I'll see ya on the river laugh

Justin

My name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddd.....
KID SAUK!!!!!

#119529 - 09/07/01 02:20 AM Re: Quilcene Silvers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kid
Thanks a bunch....I am just a little sensitive about my local rivers as they could be world class if given a chance. Several of my friends have asked me on the river how I can stand it? My reply is usually "well you know you just have too...ummph! FishOn! Sh!T! D@m! Piggy headin upstream under that d@m! log! Ohh nooo now its headin downstream and jumped across that d@m limb! Oh sh!t! Uhh Can I tell you later how I tolerate this crap?" Kid when that happens the snaggers all disappear into oblivion. But I understand where you're comin from too. Just so you know I grew up fishin the Humptulips and Satsop so I'm really thicked skinned to snaggers. I don't like them but am willing to tolerate around me them as long as they respect me as when I'm on the river I am only in search of that perfect fish moment again. Hey I've only fished the Sauk once years ago...the" Infamous Drag the Drift Boat thru The Ice Expedition!" Damm cold nothing would bite ...even the ones we visually fed plugs plus the bottle of Rum iced up....love to join uo with you for a trip this winter.

Recently Piscatorially Challenged!
Cove RV Park & Tackle Prostaff(1)

Always FishOn!
Gooose laugh

#119530 - 09/07/01 01:34 PM Re: Quilcene Silvers
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Gooose,

I guess I must commend you on your ability to tune out all of the blatant carnage that goes on on our rivers during the fall salmon runs. I was at the Quilcene (Kill Scene) last Sat. As hard as I tried, I couldn't ignore the [Bleeeeep!] that was going on. There were fathers teaching there kids how to snag, and praising them for dragging in the fish. There were IDIOTS grabbing the chum, and throwing them up on the bank saying "I hate these damn things". I too have fished the Hump and the Satsop, and have witnessed alot of carnage there as well, but the Quilcene is in a league all by itself. I have trouble believing that a river the size of the ditch behind my house, that's maybe 2 ft. deep, crystal clear to where you can see all of the fish, could ever be considered "world class". Regardless of the TONS of fish that were in there, I left totally disgusted. I didn't see one game warden anywhere, and NOBODY seemed to care that what they were doing was completely illegal.

Again, this is not an insult to you, or the river itself, I just don't have the patience to tolerate that kind of situation. frown

#119531 - 09/07/01 04:19 PM Re: Quilcene Silvers
Kid Sauk Offline
I'm a freak'n CAKE

Loc: Almost on the beach
Goose, glad I clarified that with you. Didn't mean to knock the river, just the people. I'm sure you are the opposite of most down there and Joe(Superfly) said you were great to fish with. I'm sure that Superfly and I will see you down there again this year and I'll try and let you know next time we head down there and maybe we can meet up and fish together. I'll tell you all about the Sauk too wink Let's hope it rains and they'll be coming laugh

My name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddd.....
KID SAUK!!!!!

#119532 - 09/07/01 09:23 PM Re: Quilcene Silvers
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
Wow, for me it is difficult to look at these amazing fish (chums) and feel anything but respect for them. Even if they aren't a "prized food fish", just what they represent.

I hear of all these tickets written but I also wonder how much of that is collected and how much is just waived.
Get Bent Tackle wh&#333;re. Just added spinner section, where you can special order to your hearts content!

#119533 - 09/08/01 12:15 AM Re: Quilcene Silvers
Anonymous
Unregistered

4SALT the Quil by itself is not worldclass but if you notice I said "rivers." The Dosie and the Duck used to be tremendous winter steelie fisheries...I have a very honest local oldtimer friend who fished them in the glory years. His best year was 300+ no sh!t 300+ fish released in one season! eek His best day was 34 released! eek He won a $20 bet from some guy that he could catch a fish in 2 casts. The Dosie, Duck, Quil and even the little Quil were all tremendous fish producers at on time...steelies and silvers. The potential of these rivers to be a "world class" fishery is what I meant.
But I gotta agree with you and everyone else that the Quil is harsh on the soul of any honest fisherman. I am really lookin forward to other waters opening up. Justin I'll fish with you and Joe any time! Don't come this way unless you're really bored unless it rains then bring a team as it would be nice to saturate my favorite stretch with real fisherman. About six to seven would allow us to totally control the three best spots. Would be way cool! Right now I'm just doing CNR to get in the face of snaggers...gives them fits and I love it! cool laugh

No Longer Piscatorially Challenged laugh
Cove RV Park & Tackle Prostaff(1)
Always FishOn!
Gooose laugh

#119534 - 09/08/01 10:44 AM Re: Quilcene Silvers
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Goose, The Quilcene, Dosewallips, Duckabush have sentimental value for me too. My dad took me over the bridge to fish these famed rivers a couple of times when I was 12 back in the mid 70's. Also used to hunt around Thorndike. I'm still kind of curious if these rivers still have winter or summer steelhead. Anyway I went back last fall when word spread about the large silver run. Even took my dad over. Anyway I snuck over there for an evening a couple of weeks ago and couldn't believe all the people and vehicles parked. I was only there two hours and must have seen 100 fish packed out. Went back a couple of days after that, with my boy, at high tide, and there wasn't as many people. I hooked a silver bullet(legally just orange yarn and a hook in the mouth), didn't have my drag set tight enough, took me under a log, jumped and broke off. Some kids came up and asked if I was snagging. I told them that they would bite orange yarn and gave them a piece. We really need to educate the kids on how to fish legally. I didn't notice as much snagging as last year but I wasn't there very long.I wish they would let us use bait. Maybe some people wouldn't be compelled to snag if they could use bait. Didn't come back with anything but it sure was fun. Hoping to back when we get some more rain.

#119535 - 09/08/01 11:49 PM Re: Quilcene Silvers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Steelheadman good for you giving that kid a small bit of help. Had a kid come up to me and ask me what I was doing? Told him I was just having fun hooking them legal and then releasing them. His innocent reply was "Oh, your sportfishin." Told him that was the legal way to catch them and it wasn't hard to learn if he'd try. His next question was "snaggin not's legal?" This kid was totally innocent of the rules...he totally believed that it was the legal way to catch these fish! Something is definitely broke in the greater recreational sportfishin community and I'm saddened to see it.
Yes allowing us to use eggs would certainly make these fish more catchable(legally). Last time I used eggs on these fish fresh out of a hen they just when beserk on them.
Hey if you want to hit the Duck/Dosie for winter fish send me an e-mail. There's fish there...one spot is pretty much guaranteed hookups...it's just a matter of how fearless you are of heights, slippery rocks and whitewater eek . The Quil is real low but there is a late afternoon evening run and the fish are superb if you fish down low. Saw and was briefly attached to some real knobnosed bucks...one was hooked and lost on consecutive drifts. Not keepin any...not even serious about landin them...tends to disturb the snaggers. cool

Cove RV Park Prostaff(1)
Always FishOn!
Gooose laugh

#119536 - 09/09/01 02:21 AM Re: Quilcene Silvers
Scaly Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sequim, WA, USA
It seems to me that the percentage of snaggers on the Quil is enough to warrant closing the river altogether, at least in an average year, but there's yet another reason brewing.

The Jeff County Conservation District works with riparian landowners to revegetate stream banks for water quality, erosion control, etc. The District's been getting calls this season from irate landowners about the "animals" trashing their properties! Stomping down their plantings, littering with trash and fish guts
and even human waste!

I don't know if morons can be "educated" but if we don't try, we all lose!

#119537 - 09/09/01 09:15 PM Re: Quilcene Silvers
elkrun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Just got back from my first trip to the Quilcene, will be my last trip. What a joke. The "HOT" lure of the day was 6 inches of lead, with a 2/0 hook tied about 4 inches up. People here dont even try to hide the fact they are snagging. They race up and down the river, spotting silvers through the chums. Then they snag the target fish, bonk it on the head, and head to the next hole. Unreal. The water actually turned cloudy from the foot traffic. My question is: WHERE ARE THE GAMEYS???? They could have paid for their own salary in tickets today! anyway, had to try it, now I know.

#119538 - 09/10/01 12:49 AM Re: Quilcene Silvers
Anonymous
Unregistered

ElkRun sorry I'll never meet you on the Quil.
Yeah it can be really disgusting in places. As thick skinned as I am it's really starting to piss me off. The real reason I'm saddened by righteous guys like you never coming back is that we'll never be able to put enough real fisherman on the river to make an impression on these idiots. Imagine a group of us taking over the best holes and teaching some lessons? Enforcement has been hitting this river with what little they have and knowing what they have it's been pretty dedicated....run into them nearly every evening on the way out...they've even had the state patrol in there.

Scaly, Jeff County has no control over fishing seasons. And I'm not seeing what your talkin about ,other than snaggin, to such a degree that would warrant closure. I am more than real familiar with this river and don't see any real significant damage to the riparian zone vegetation in the lower 2/3 of the river. There is a heavily used trail in the upper third(always has been) and a more lightly used trail in the lower third but after that your pretty much walkin on gravel. Not intending to put your ideas down but am just where your coming from? You're just are offended and want some reason to close this down? My experience in the public service arena is that a "rash" can sometimes be a very small number of individuals complaining. Haven't been on the upper river this season so I'll go take a peak...maybe you're right and I'm wrong. Peace.

Cove RV Park Prostaff(1)
Always FishOn!
Gooose laugh

#119539 - 09/10/01 01:27 AM Re: Quilcene Silvers
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Puyallup, WA
As many people as I seen on the upper river I was surprised how nice everything looks. It was hard to beleive there was that many people in and out of there.
As far as the lower river, everyone I've seen sticks to the gravel bars and haven't seen any "damage" to the riparian zones.
I'm sure the locals would love to shut this fishery down. Then they could sneak down and have it all to themselves.
It would be kind of unnerving to have that many people traipsing around that close to your home.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 972 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |