Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119655 - 08/20/01 12:45 AM maxima line
sleepingdog Offline
Alevin

Loc: olympia,wa
Hey, does anyone use maxima chameleon line on there spinners?. i just spooled up and it just wants to roll off the spool, when i open the bail. will it mellow out or am i in for a nightmare. eek

#119656 - 08/20/01 12:54 AM Re: maxima line
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nightmare!

#119657 - 08/20/01 01:02 AM Re: maxima line
Chuck Offline
Juvenille at Sea

yup sucks on spiinin outfits, have had good luck with Gamakatsu and Excaliber. Learned of the latter on this board, thanks guys!

#119658 - 08/20/01 01:02 AM Re: maxima line
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
Nightmare!!!Best to keep the chameleon to your casters..Its tough line but on spinners its a no-no.TM

#119659 - 08/20/01 01:02 AM Re: maxima line
Trick Offline
Fry

Loc: St. Helens, OR
Yup', your in for one hellish experience. You might as well at this point give all your gear to me, quit your job and move to Mexico. wink

Maxima has a horrible "memory", which is the lines ability to kinda' keep it's shape. One common mistake that some people make is not making sure the filler spool is in the correct posistion when filling their reel. On a spinning reel the spool should lay flat on the ground or table when spooling up. If you notice kinking when spooling, then try flipping the filler spool over and see if this improves it.

Maxima has excellent strength and abrasion resistance and this harder coating on the line makes it a poor choice, in my books, for spinning reels where you intened on casting alot and retrieving spinners, plugs, etc.

I use Trilene XL on my ultralight trout gear because of its softness and low-memory. For salmon I use baitcasting rods/reels even for casting and I like Maxima for its strength and anti-abrasion resistance. Those teeth can be unforgiving.

The memory should eliviate some as you begin to use the line.

#119660 - 08/20/01 01:07 AM Re: maxima line
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
I am a lifelong supporter of Maxima, so don't take this the wrong way. Maxima is an excellent line, chameleon has never failed me (on my BAITCASTERS!!!!!!). The only time I ever ran chameleon on my spinning rods (which I only had a couple) where on my noodle rods. I was running 6 lb test which was managable on a spinning reel, 8 lb max. Any bigger and you'll coil everywhere. I'd suggest either running ultragreen (which still isn't that much more forgiving) or go with some of the more limper lines out there. Don't ask me which ones those are, I only use baitcasters for everything (noodle rods all the way up to plug rods) and only use maxima.

Good luck and happy nightmare.

Northwest River Fisherman

#119661 - 08/20/01 03:45 AM Re: maxima line
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use UG on my spinning spinning outfit and have never had a problem. I have tried limper lines like perfexion an gammi and havent been impressed. The 6# UG is much tougher than the 10# perfexion. I only go as high as 8# but my spinning outfit is only used in the summertime I think anything bigger than 8# would not be good.

#119662 - 08/20/01 09:37 AM Re: maxima line
Ron Bob Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carnation, wa
Use the ultra green. It's limp and works great for the spinners.

#119663 - 08/20/01 02:44 PM Re: maxima line
flickyourjig Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Saxon,wa.
Ande mono would be a very good choice.
Long time UG guy is now a permanent ande fisher.

#119664 - 08/20/01 09:07 PM Re: maxima line
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
I have used Ande for years and it is a great line.A couple of years ago a friend hooked me up with some Triple fish.I use 6&8 lb on my spinning reels and am way impressed with with it.If you can find it you ought to give it a try.I bought mine at Bobs in longview and it was under$10 a spool which held just under 2000 yds.Yes thats thousand.And its great line. Try it.

#119665 - 08/21/01 12:32 AM Re: maxima line
desertdrifter Offline
Smolt

Loc: richland
try leaving the line on the reel for a while. I try not to put line on right befor I go out on the river.it seems to help no mater what line I have used.All I have ever used is spinning reels since I was a kid.I have tryed to use casting reels but I cant hit the water even sitting siting in a tube.Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

#119666 - 08/21/01 12:35 AM Re: maxima line
flickyourjig Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Made in germany, just like maxima.
good stuff. wink

#119667 - 08/21/01 12:46 AM Re: maxima line
flickyourjig Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hey D.D.,
If you ever come up my way holler, we'll float, and you will put those spinin reels away for good.
They only work in lakes or at barnum and bailey creek with 80in. or 80ft. leaders.
Hey ZOZO, i'm talkin head shot here.
A head shot is a head shot is a head shot.
Ya gotta love it. ZOZO, want to float, just holler too! STICK TO YOUR GUNS, I LOVE IT. laugh laugh

#119668 - 08/21/01 01:49 PM Re: maxima line
smoky Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Lake Oswego, Oregon
Ive used both Ug and Cham. on my Stradics.

New line is always a little messy on spinning reels.

After it gets wet and stretches a few times, it becomes manageable.

I always stretch and wet new line on spinners.

#119669 - 08/21/01 11:41 PM Re: maxima line
chumcatcher Offline
Fry

Loc: snohomish county
The Chameleon is hella stiff. Your better choice would be the Ultra-green. I personally use Izor-Line for main. I use Stren for leader. The exception to this is when plunking for chums. For chums I use Chameleon. Very strong and abrasion resistant. You know how them teeth can be eek
Good luck and tight lines

#119670 - 08/22/01 01:02 PM Re: maxima line
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
You might try this if you don't want to re-spool:

Pop the spool off of the reel. Boil some water. After it reaches the boiling point, turn off the burner, and let it cool for a few minutes. Now throw the spool into the water, and leave it in until the water cools. This should aleviate some of the stiffness and coil memory. smile

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: 4Salt ]

#119671 - 08/22/01 01:27 PM Re: maxima line
PiperFLA Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bremerton WA, USA
I've never boiled the water but I do soak the spools overnight and it helps. Next time I'll try the hot water trick. Thanks

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
crappieking, steelheadpimpjuice
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1216 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |