Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119756 - 08/20/01 07:49 PM Bank Fishin near Forks
RRR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: (Tacoma native),San Diego WA, ...
Me and my new wife are gonna be fishin the Forks area the second week of September.

I thought that I was pullin a fast one on her by callin it a Honeymoon and then transforming it into a fishin trip somewhere between Whidbey Island and Forks but she went and hired a guide for two days so I guess that I'm not anywhere near as clever as I had thought!

Like I said, we are goin with a guide for two days but if conditions are favorable, i.e. enough water in the rivers and the nets not chokin the rivers seven days a week we're gonna do some fishin from the bank for 3-5 days.

If anyone would be kind enough to suggest places and/or tackle tips we'd appreciate it.

Probable candidates are the Sol Duc (of course!), Hoh, Queets, and the upper Calawah. I've fished the Sol Duc and the Bogachiel so am somewaht familiar with them but have very little experience with the other rivers.

Oh, yeah, I can keep a secret and if you would feel more comfortable e-mailin me that would be great.

Thanx
Roger

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: RRR ]

VERY Homesick in San Diego

#119757 - 08/20/01 07:56 PM Re: Bank Fishin near Forks
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
So Roger,

How was the trip last week? smile smile This being the third week in August and all.

If you meant the second weekend in September, I may be up at Sekiu then and might be able to run you and your bride out for some killer hook-nosed silvers in the salt. If this works out, let me know.

Take care,

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#119758 - 08/25/01 06:03 AM Re: Bank Fishin near Forks
RRR Offline
Returning Adult

Dogfish,
What a moniker! Havin gown up fishin Pt. D I've caught more than my share of those pesky lil critters. Thanx fer the offer. Wish I could take ya up on it but bein overseas it's kinda hard to make plans, do really appreciate the offer tho. If things work out we will probably not have too much time (what with me havin to be back in San Diego). I've got my heart set on a large chrome king, hookin one that is - landin it would be a bonus. Thanx again

Roger

#119759 - 08/27/01 01:40 AM Re: Bank Fishin near Forks
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
The funny thing is that this year I haven't even caught one this year, nor has anyone on my boat. I usually hit triple digits. I best not complain. Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#119760 - 09/10/01 10:45 PM Re: Bank Fishin near Forks
RRR Offline
Returning Adult

Thought I'd try this again:
I've been fishin the Sol Duc for Kings (usually around the third or fourth week in October) for the past ten years or so (haven't had real good luck but did manage to beach one 32 lb. hen).

Most every year we've stayed @Three Rivers and bank-fished the Sol Duc (cuz a buddy of mine hooked a sixty-some pounder, I swear - it jumped three or four times as it headed down river! - up by the hatchery the first or second year that I went).

This year mah new wife wants to camp on a river so we'll probably be lookin fer a campsite on the Hoh (or campin in our guides backyard -- thanks Jim).

I guess that I'm a slow learner and stubborn to boot but we're (finally) gonna try some other rivers this year.

Gonna be fishin with a guide fer a two days (18th and 19th of September) and then do some bank fishin for a few days after that.

I know it's probably way too early but man!I'd sure love to tangle with a Chrome bright King.

Have heard that the lower Hoh might be a good place to start?.

Will gladly trade drinks on me at yer favorite Forks area watering hole for good advice on where and how to hook up with some of those thumb burners.
(Sendin this original post back to the top to see if I could get some advice).

Thanx
Roger

#119761 - 09/11/01 01:22 AM Re: Bank Fishin near Forks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Didnt I give you some info on this a while back?

Really not many Kings around right now. I hooked one in the Clawah today but it made real short work of my 6# Maxima, and my 1141 just didnt have the backbone to handle him. Looked to be in the 35# range. Actualy wasnt expecting to catch any salmon and thats the first King I have seen in the Clawah this fall and its the first fall king ive hooked so far.

As for the Quileute system, September is sort of an inbetween summer and fall runs month. There should be a few summer Kings around and a few early fall Kings around. But its hard on counting on fresh fish being around everyday.

EVEN THOUGH YOU DONT HAVE TO, LET THE FALL KINGS GO IN THE QUILEUTE SYSTEM. THERE JUST ARNT MANY LEFT.

My best advice would be the Hoh and Qeets. There will be more Kings around and they are better biters.

The Duc, Bogie and Clawah are more Oct & Nov fall salmon rivers.

Id bet money your guide will be taking you to the Hoh unless we get a big rain before then.

#119762 - 09/11/01 09:45 AM Re: Bank Fishin near Forks
RRR Offline
Returning Adult

Thanx fer the reply, Rich. Yeah you probably did send me some info on this already. I'm just gettin a lil antsy after bein outta the country for the past six months (I'll be back Friday - Yea!!) and not having been able to fish or even be in Washington for over a year.

The 'ol lady went down to Bush Pt yesterday and her and her girlfriend limited on Silvers in less than five minutes (according to her e-mail)! She forgot to mention how big but she said that EVERYONE was hookin em!! Oh, yeah - they were fishin from the beach.

Thanx again
Roger

#119763 - 09/13/01 01:13 AM Re: Bank Fishin near Forks
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: yelm, wa
Roger,
Newly wed dude!! Congrats. I plan on being up on the Queets this weekend (15th and 16th if my math is right). I'm not guiding that weekend (just me and some buds), so if you see some fool in a tan cowboy hat in a red and silver diamondback drift boat, yell at me and I'll take you and the new wife fishing for a wedding present. Last time I was up there (last week) it was not too hot, but the weather changes things quickly. Hope for a little rain Thursday or Friday!! I stumbled in the Sat on Labor day weekend after a rain and it was HOT!!
Mike

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bob, Mike Abbott
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 350 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63787 Topics
645459 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |