LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#120275 - 08/29/01 03:21 PM Food saving fresh cured egg's ??????
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I'm gonna use my foodsaver this year for part of my egg curing and storing process.
What I need to know is whether I should cut them up and flash freeze them then run them
through the food saver bag's or if I should
use the jar method with the jar attachment.
Any helpful hint's or suggestions would be
appreciated.I ended up with 12lbs of coho egg's and 8lbs of king egg's from bouy 10.
All cured and ready for storage.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#120276 - 08/29/01 03:47 PM Re: Food saving fresh cured egg's ??????
PiperFLA Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bremerton WA, USA
Cure the eggs in pieces or skeins and vacuum pack them in the jars. I dont even bother to freeze them, they will last more than a year in the fridge. As long as all the air is sucked out they wont mold or dry out.

I prefer to use the small jelly jars with the eggs cut into pieces, the small jars are the perfect size for a days fishing. Any that I dont use get re-packed for the next trip. Good Luck!

[ 08-29-2001: Message edited by: Pickled Herring ]

#120277 - 08/29/01 05:21 PM Re: Food saving fresh cured egg's ??????
centerpin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The Terrace
Don't vacpac in jars and then freze. When you thaw you'll have mush :p

#120278 - 08/29/01 10:22 PM Re: Food saving fresh cured egg's ??????
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

I vacuum pack all my eggs but I use a different method. I'm a cherry jello/borax man so what I do is cure the eggs, put them in a vacuum bag (sized for the amount of eggs in the batch) and throw them in the freezer overnight. THEN, I take them out the next morning and vacuum them sealed. You must freeze the eggs before you seal them or the pressure will crush them.

This has been a great way to store eggs for me without the worry of freezer burn or crushed eggs. I have pulled bags out 6 months later and the eggs look like they were cured yesterday.

#120279 - 08/30/01 01:18 AM Re: Food saving fresh cured egg's ??????
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
Before you vacuum pack eggs in a jar, try doing it with marshmallows. The same thing will happen to your eggs. Follow the other advise and freeze them first, then vac-pac the bags. You can also heat-seal the bags after sucking out all the air, but not to the point of a vacuum (the juice gets in the machine if your'e not careful). mad

#120280 - 08/30/01 02:10 AM Re: Food saving fresh cured egg's ??????
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
I Pro-cured some eggs last Fall and vacuum packed them in pint jars, I noticed that most of the eggs on the outside layer of the jars still got freezer burned. The ones on the inside looked and felt fine month later when I thawed them out.
This year I'm going to borax them, keep a bunch of borax in the jars, and see if that helps.

-N.

#120281 - 08/30/01 10:16 AM Re: Food saving fresh cured egg's ??????
PiperFLA Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bremerton WA, USA
Once they are vacuum sealed in jars there is no need to freeze them. Like I said earlier have eggs that are over a year old that are as good as the day I sealed them and just kept in the fridge.

I also dont think the over-the-counter vacuum packers draw a complete vacuum so there is no need to worry about them popping all the eggs. Commercial packers may be a different story however. I've been vacuum sealing in jars for 3 years and have never had any bad eggs.

Strike Zone,
Sounds like you have a few eggs to experiment with. You might try a few different ways and next year you'll be able to tell us the best way smile

#120282 - 08/30/01 02:51 PM Re: Food saving fresh cured egg's ??????
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Thanks for all the replies,I usually pack them in the little white freezer containers
that you use to freeze berries / veggies ect.
This has worked great for me the past few years,but still get the burn on the top layer.I let my egg's air dry a little then roll them in borax before I pack them,then layer the cut up clusters between paper towels.I'm going to try and do the same thing
in jars then vacum them,it's gotta work better then the white containers that the air didn't get sucked out of.The jar method seems to be easier and faster then the pre=freeze then putting them into bags for sealing.Thanks and Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#120283 - 08/30/01 06:36 PM Re: Food saving fresh cured egg's ??????
CraigH Offline
Fry

Loc: Northbend WA
If you have room in the freezer use the jar method. The eggs keep real well that way! If you do vacuum pack in the bags make sure that you freeze the cured eggs first so that they don't smash during the packing process. Also, when you thaw the eggs cut the bag open to remove the vacuum before thawing or the eggs will smash then as well. Good luck, Craigh smile

#120284 - 08/30/01 11:17 PM Re: Food saving fresh cured egg's ??????
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I prefer the jar method. I vacuum seal all eggs in jars. One trick to stay away from them freezer burning is to pour the excess juice in the bottom of the jar or container into the jar you will freeze them in. Remember the juices are made of water and water preserves the best in the freezer. Freezer burn is from air touching the eggs. I have eggs that I pulled out from 1997 that were still perfect. Also, mushiness comes from too much blood in the egg when curing them. Clean those eggs up and cure them as fresh as possible.
Keith

#120285 - 08/31/01 01:01 PM Re: Food saving fresh cured egg's ??????
Pitch Pocket Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Portland, OR
I cure em, freeze em then vacuum pack em. Before the Food Saver came out, I would pack em in small jars and leave about 1" of space in the jar. Take a small bit of tissue paper and put it on top and light it with a match then put the lid on. The small flame will consume all the oxygen and help to avoid the freezer burn.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (NOFISH), 1122 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645360 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |