LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121488 - 09/16/01 06:41 PM Which vacuum packager ??
Periwinkle Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mill Creek, WA
I'm ready to purchase one, any recommendations? These are my choices thus far: (possibilities)
Tillia Pro ll $275
Magic Vac Prestige $279
Magic Vac Champion $329
Vac-U-Pac $250

Thanks....

#121489 - 09/16/01 07:09 PM Re: Which vacuum packager ??
Fishbait Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Rivers of OR and SW WA.
UBid.com had some for under $100 bucks. I have a tilla, original version, must be 15 + years old, has seen much use and still works great

#121490 - 09/17/01 03:16 PM Re: Which vacuum packager ??
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
Periwinkle,

I don't know the different models you talk about, lots of these machines are made by the same manufacturer, but just have a different name on them. Check out this site, these guys are in Seattle, they could help, you could call them too:
http://www.vacuumpackers.com/

-N.

#121491 - 09/17/01 09:03 PM Re: Which vacuum packager ??
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
You might check out costco,they had a Foodsaver Deluxe,does jars and all for $159 they are a pretty good machine.Especially for the price

#121492 - 09/18/01 01:09 PM Re: Which vacuum packager ??
ReiterRat Offline
Gearhead

Loc: Snohomish, WA
I have had the VacUpack for a few seasons now and overall have had good success with it.Being able to hold the roll of plastic for bags and having the cutter and sealer in two steps is pretty sweet.The only thing I don't like about it is the part that sucks the air out of the bags is a little to small.Sometimes it can be a hassle.The only perfect vacumm sealers I have seen are the comercial ones that cost a couple grand.Hope this helps.

#121493 - 09/19/01 06:23 PM Re: Which vacuum packager ??
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Doesn't matter. They all suck.

GutZ

#121494 - 09/20/01 01:44 AM Re: Which vacuum packager ??
Periwinkle Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mill Creek, WA
Thanks guys - Couldn't find anything on U-Bid, but I'm really more concerned abour quality than price. I've heard the economy (basic) models don't hold up too well. (PMG) is where I got some of those prices. Hey 'Rat', my son has a ProII and says that when he soaks his sharptail breasts in saltwater, drains them, and when he packages them it sucks moisture into the machine --- is that a problem and do all machines do that???????? Does that happen when you pkg fish fillets???
Gutz is a smart arss!!!

#121495 - 09/20/01 03:32 AM Re: Which vacuum packager ??
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
All the packers except the commercial ones with a glass lid and a vacuum chamber suck liquid through the pump. Some of the Tillia machines even have a foam filter and a little sump on the bottom that you can empty out. It's not really a big deal, you can give your packer a little warm water douche (drink, actually) after you use it, then suck a little silicone lubricant into it to lube the cylinder. This keeps the machine from having bad breath (stale fish smell the next time you use it)

I pat all my fish fillets down with paper towels before I put them in the vacuum bags, it works well.

By the way, I've got two Tillia Foodsaver machines and one Magic Vac or something liek that, they are all basically the same machine, all of them are old and work well. One I bought at PMG rebuilt for $85, the other two I got at yard sales for $5 each.

-N.

#121496 - 09/20/01 03:08 PM Re: Which vacuum packager ??
PiperFLA Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bremerton WA, USA
I've found that if you cut the bags a little longer and leave about 4 to 6 inches of empty bag at the vacuum end it wont suck the water up far enough to get into the vacuum nozzle. I go thru bag a little faster but I get a much more consistant seal if no water is in the way of the heating element.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |