LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121744 - 09/20/01 11:15 PM why can't I get them kings?
fishkisser99 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Eastsound, WA, USA
What the heck? Everyone in the world is catching silvers, but none have shown off my beach. Caught some last year right off my back yard!

Did well at a terminal area along shore of the island last week but have been three times now without a hook-up. I can see kings under my canoe, and they're quite active--jumping everywhere, rolling, swimming by...they get chased around by the seals quite a bit and part like the red sea whenever I toss my buzz bomb in the middle of them. Most of them are pretty dark, but some of the jacks are dime-bright. Have also tried roe at different depths under a float with no luck. Anybody got suggestions for hitting spawner kings stuck in the salt? There's no stream, really, for them to go up, so they sit there and circle and circle and circle...until the hatchery spawns them, in a week or so.

I saw the biggest king I think I've ever seen today--swam right alongside my canoe. I actually grabbed the gunwale to steady myself and the boat (earlier a king had soaked my backside with a well-placed splash).

Thanks for your suggestions--

#121745 - 09/20/01 11:50 PM Re: why can't I get them kings?
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
I've fished an inlet that sounds similar to this, there was a hatchery at the head of the inlet and the kings would stack up before spawning, if you hit a tide change early in the morning you "might" get them to take herring otherwise the only thing else that seemed to work were plugs and spoons, namely, a tomic 169 (any color as long as it had a white body with a green stripe) or Superior spoons (chrome and brass) either of these trolled fast, about the only thing that consistantly worked for me. good luck.

#121746 - 09/21/01 01:22 AM Re: why can't I get them kings?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay if these fish are holding and I mean holding in tidewater then try a whole herring beneath afloat with the bait set for the depth the fish are holding. Or try dead drifting a whole herring with just enough weight(slip sinker) to have the bait settle in to a plunk position amongst the fish. Sometimes a neutral colored cheater or clear bobber can be used to improve the presentation in their faces. They will pick this bait up but you have to feed it to them ...don't get in a hurry unless bobber fishin. If the bobber goes down slam them. If using the other methods you'll have to have a little patience...give them a little slack until you feel it come up tight then slam them!

Gooose

#121747 - 09/21/01 01:35 AM Re: why can't I get them kings?
cjk Offline
Egg

If you haven't already tried done it, try a chartreuse clouser, if that doesn't work, throw an ugly pink plug at them like you were fishing for bass. Obviously the fly is much more fun, but the plug can work great at times.

#121748 - 09/21/01 01:05 PM Re: why can't I get them kings?
Bruce(Coho@TheRefuge) Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bothell, WA, USA
Try the biggest Mepps you can get or Vibrax.

#121749 - 09/21/01 03:52 PM Re: why can't I get them kings?
ramstrong Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Glenside, PA USA
Size 4 or 5 vibrax. Green body nickel blade. Used to be the standard down in the Coos Bay anandramous fishery.

Chicks dig the floppy ears.

ramstrong@hotmail.com

#121750 - 09/22/01 11:42 PM Re: why can't I get them kings?
fishkisser99 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Eastsound, WA, USA
Thanks for your suggestions...

Had a few followers the other night, and thinking trouty tied on a #2 red gamy as a stinger hook 8" behind my buzz bomb and bam! First cast hooked up a 10lb fairly bright buck. A little later I watched a dark old buck rush up and hook itself...it had the canoe going in circles for a bit. When it tired the dogfish were latching on to it before I could get the hook out...(I ain't sticking my hand down there!)

Will have to try a spoon or a vibrax with a stinger as well...

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Brad_tgl, Coho, NewNWSalmon3
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 984 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |