Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#122108 - 09/27/01 10:07 PM you tell me
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Battle Ground, WA
What can you tell me about this "grizzly" tackle company. It is something I found in my grandfather's collection.

Matt

[ 09-27-2001: Message edited by: RipDatLip ]

#122109 - 09/27/01 11:28 PM Re: you tell me
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
That's a cool fishing collectible, Matt. I'll bet it has special meaning for you since it belonged to your grandfather. I can't tell you anything specifically about Grizzly Tackle, but Maxwell Manufacturing was located close to you. Shouldn't be too hard to get info about them from some of the oldtimers fishing around there. The amber Okie Drifter was one of my all time favorite steelhead lures.

#122110 - 09/28/01 05:43 AM Re: you tell me
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Matt,

Hang on tight to them, the original okies are some hot items in waters closed to bait. A lot of people would like to have those. My favorite is the nail polish pink one!!
Keith

#122111 - 09/28/01 11:07 PM Re: you tell me
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Amber, what color is that? Red?

#122112 - 09/29/01 02:31 AM Re: you tell me
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Amber, as in amber ale wink Kind of golden. It's the okie in the lower left hand corner.

#122113 - 09/29/01 01:26 PM Re: you tell me
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

The lower left hand okie is called "egg fluorescent". It is not a solid color. What I mean is that The plastic is a yellow/clear color and that you can see through it. There is no amber on this list, but I know many more color exist. There is a cheese color, 5th down in the middle row.

Matt

#122114 - 10/01/01 03:54 AM Re: you tell me
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Matt, I did a bit of research on Grizzly Tackle and Maxwell Manufacturing. The company was owned by Jim Maxwell, who advertised heavily in fishing publications from the late sixties through the seventies. I have numerous older fishing guides that feature full page ads from Grizzly showing Mr. Maxwell and friends with lots of fish caught on Grizzly tackle, including Okie Drifters. Some of the ads are pictures and descriptions of other lures that carried the Grizzly name such as: Ray Bobbers, Andy Reeker Spoons, Bear Valley Spinners, Vibr-O-Lite Trolls, Jay Jigs, King Dodgers, and Lucky R Spinners. Gaffs, nets, rods, fishing line, a troll speed indicator, and the Oregon Diver were also Grizzly products. A friend who knew Jim Maxwell said he went out of business, probably by the mid-eighties. Some of the Maxwell products were acquired by other tackle manufacturers. I believe Okie Drifter became a Luhr Jensen item. No doubt your Okies would still catch fish, however, I wouldn't remove any of them from the card. A complete advertising display of the original Okie Drifter line would be virtually impossible to locate. It would have considerable value to a collector.

BTW, Amber is yellow translucent. Maxwell called the amber colored Okie "egg fluorescent".

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: CedarR ]

#122115 - 10/01/01 11:58 AM Re: you tell me
PiperFLA Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bremerton WA, USA
CedarR,
I'm with you on the amber/egg flourescent, its an awesome color. They've produced fish when nothing else will. I found a bunch of them over in Spokane at a place called the white elephant and bought everone they had.

Just out of curiosity how do you guys rig the oakies big side up or big side down. I've always rigged mine big side down. Everyone says that I have it upside down, but it still catches fish. Besides It looks more realistic when you put a little yarn on the hook.

#122116 - 10/01/01 05:06 PM Re: you tell me
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

OK, I get it. Amber Ale and the stuff the bugs or whatever were stuck in in Jurassic Park. Now that I've had my color lesson for the day, I have another question. Yakima Bait Company makes corkies and spin'n'glows, right. But they don't make okies, nor did they ever make them? Nobody makes them anymore, right?

#122117 - 10/01/01 09:26 PM Re: you tell me
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

What color is the black with white dots? Also what color is the red with silver speckles? I can give you a picture of both okies. Later

Matt

#122118 - 10/01/01 11:18 PM Re: you tell me
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Pickled Herring-- I fished the Okie with the big end down, also. I know experts could cite several reasons why this was wrong, but the fish seemed unaware of those reasons. Egg fluorescent body/chartreuse yarn was a good combo.

Krome Brite-- I don't think Worden/Yakima Bait ever had anything to do with producing Okie Drifter. Their successful product line probably helped bring about the demise of the Okie Drifter and Ray Bobber, though.

Matt-- The colors you mention don't seem to be on your display. I've never seen them on the river. Could they have been custom painted by your granddad? Maybe Luhr Jensen added those colors to the Okie line. Just guessing...

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: CedarR ]

#122119 - 10/02/01 06:22 PM Re: you tell me
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

Don't have time to post pictures, will post pictures after I finish this stupid paper...

Matt

#122120 - 10/03/01 07:56 PM Re: you tell me
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

Finally I get around to having some free time... Here are some pictures of the weirdest colors I could find.

Maybe you could name some of them like the black w/ white dots, the red w/ silver speckles, and the color that is half-way between hunters orange and pink.

Matt

#122121 - 10/04/01 06:32 PM Re: you tell me
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

I've been blinded by the first row in the second pic! Tell ya what though, I could eat that second one from the left in the first row of the first pic. CANDY!

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: Krome Brite ]

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1318 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |