Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#122785 - 10/11/01 05:41 PM Re: A plea for Chinook release on the OP rivers
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Quote:
Someone always must throw in some insults, does it feel good to throw your insults around. Your a piece of work.

and you're comments were????????
once again .....hello kettle

#122786 - 10/11/01 06:03 PM Re: A plea for Chinook release on the OP rivers
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn, WA USA
Boy Osprey you like using that quote button heh? Do you have a problem with me saying your a piece of work after you just unnecessarily insulted the intelligence of a entire group of people?

All I meant by my comment was that your a real good fella with lots of good input and you know yer stuff. Thank you for the intelligent insight.

Hey Dan good talking with you as well. Good fishing to you all!

P.S. check out the cover of F&H News smile

#122787 - 10/11/01 06:11 PM Re: A plea for Chinook release on the OP rivers
pokey Offline
Fry

Loc: Elk Grove, CA, USA
Dan S.

Notice word "sometimes" in my post. As far as "most of us," I was referring to previous posts in the thread. Now let me add, "sensitive and defensive" to previous post. smile

Poke

#122788 - 10/11/01 06:23 PM Re: A plea for Chinook release on the OP rivers
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Alright, so I'm a little uptight, too. laugh

But of all the dudes I've fished with from PP, NONE seem like the type to keep a wild fish and then bag on somebody for keeping a wild fish.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#122789 - 10/11/01 07:37 PM Re: A plea for Chinook release on the OP rivers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think we are getting off the point here.

#122790 - 10/11/01 08:09 PM Re: A plea for Chinook release on the OP rivers
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: yelm, wa
GUYS!! Listen to yourselves. We can not solve the problem if we can't work together. We all have different attitudes, except that I would like to think we all want to have these spectacular fish around for years to come. Throwing stones at each other does nothing except make it more difficult to come to a consensus and work towards ensuring the survival of the runs. Let's PLEASE get over the petty differences if it is OK or not to keep a fish once in a while.

#122791 - 10/11/01 09:42 PM Re: A plea for Chinook release on the OP rivers
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Sorry Bruce,
This subject is very sensitive for many of us, wink
We've all heard this response before,"the State says we can keep Wild fish" rolleyes
All they've proven in the past is that they don't know.....Jack
about managing certain river sytems.
So just because "they" says it's right doesn't make it so,thats all I'm trying to say.
How many more rivers have to close before ...we as Sportsman get off our collective b*tts and get organized?........Os
Only as ONEVoice can we make a difference...[/]

#122792 - 10/11/01 10:25 PM Re: A plea for Chinook release on the OP rivers
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn, WA USA
No hard feelings Osprey, I understand how sensitive this subject is and always will be. You right about the state they don't always use better judgement and that is all the more reason for us to get past our difference's and find a way to be heard before it's to late. Sport fisherman are never going to agree on everything, that is a given. But I do believe that we all want our childern and grand childern to enjoy our sport for many years to come. That is what we ALL have in common.

#122793 - 10/12/01 12:58 AM Re: A plea for Chinook release on the OP rivers
Chuck Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Man before there was talk of CNR, or at least before I had heard of it, I would let beautiful fish go (still do). Everytime I think "you are free, my brother" as I watch it swim away. To me, it feels alot better then they taste.
Cnr is a lot simpler then we all make it out to be. There is a river with say 500 fish more coming back then what is needed for escapement. Well, there are, say, 30,000 fishermen. If we CNK it will make for a real short opening (and probably a weekday smile. With proper CNR it would make for a lot longer opportunity to fish figuring 10% or whatever mortality. Spawning areas should be off limits, gear regulated, etc.
Like I said that is from a guy who would rather go fishing and killing a fish is not the decisive factor in this experience. That is my experience.
Also I could really respect a locals take on the run before I would the WDFW, I mean A. They have been wrong alot. B. They have forces pulling on them (tribes Guides commercials) that make them suspect. The decision makers are not allways the bios.
Bruce, I have thought that yearly bag limits would be a good idea also. I would feel stronger about it, I suppose, if my wife was catching more and bigger fish then me all the time.
Hey just sh*tin ya there bud! I would be proud of my old lady too!

#122794 - 10/12/01 01:53 AM Re: A plea for Chinook release on the OP rivers
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: yelm, wa
I would like to make one more comment on this very sensitive subject... I used to fish the Smith River down in Northern California....NO dams, NO tribal nets...the only fish kill off of the river was from guys like us-sportsfishermen (and women). And yes, I will admit I killed a few steelies (Looking back, too many; 20 or 30). Back in the mid 80's, the creel limit was three per day, no season limit. Now, it is ONE per day, season limit of FIVE (I think). What does that tell us? It implies (I don't have documented facts) that the real culprit is offshore. Granted, the ocean currents have an effect. But in this humble fisherman's view, there is a large impact by the commercial fishery. There has been no logging done on the Smith watershed, so we can't blame them, there is no tribal fishery, so we can't blame them, it is a National Park, so we can't blame habitat destruction, no mining,no dams, etc... Something has obviously decimated the steelhead (and salmon) population...boils down to one of two things in this country boy's eyes....excessive predation (protected seals/sea lions) OR commercial fishing. Just speculating. But as many of y'all have said (told ya I'm a country boy) the biggest problem is overharvest, and I doubt sure as He!! it is the sportsfishermen. I have a simplistic solution (another bandaid really) But if we know someone who REALLY wants a salmon, give them one before they BUY one from a commercial source, be it the white man or a tribal netter. Capitalism is driven by price and demand, if we know someone who absolutely has to have a fish, and we decide to keep one, give it away. I'm not by any means saying kill everything you catch; personally I strongly believe in C&R, but if you know some one who will buy fish, wouldn't it be better to give them one so that they do not support the commercial sources? I know I'm setting myself up on this one, but don't you think that supply and demand will put the netters out of business, along with the fish farms? Do you guys think I'm way out in left field on this? OK, the cross hairs are on the fishin' fool :p eek

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 541 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |