THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123152 - 10/14/01 05:18 AM Freedom of expression here is a plus! Is it bringing down ifish?
Anonymous
Unregistered

This used to be a site of a lot of bashing. A bit of that will always be part of public forums; it goes with the territory. But I have noticed that Bob's policy of allowing freedom of expression (the American way!) here is not only what a majority of members want, it has lead to peer pressure against out-of-line posts - keeping them to a minimum; rather than relying on undue moderated censure. That's why this post of mine will likely stand here, but was censured at ifish. At ifish there is now an ongoing selective censure of some members posts, while other's same type of posts are allowed to stay unlocked! I am aware of a growing miscontent among a lot of prominent members there; particularly with moderator Hookset and the 'directives' he is getting. After he locked my OSU fishing club/party thread, he deleted this following post I put up: ... [EDIT: I put it back up again with further pertinent info added; after e-mail asking him to show courage in accepting questioning about his postition; rather than delete censure it.] rolleyes [Second edit: The kinder gentler version I put back up was also completely deleted; obviously to avoid answering nicely asked appropriate questions and exposure of a distinct double standard present there. Oh well - what the hell.] cool

Gregg (Hookset - a moderator on his OSU Fishing Club thread closure):

Quote:
avoiding un-necessary post and pictures.

Gregg, of the many pics such as Jennie and Pilar and me and many others have posted, none of them were necessary! Most members really enjoy seeing pics. That's likely why Jennie recently posted loosening the reigns about it some; while keeping it reasonable. There was a huge thread full of pics, posted by some members, of people partying with soft drinks or beer in their hands at Jen & Bill's place. Selective censure is what many members have posted they have the biggest problem with!

Hookset signature:

"life is short, play to live
and live to play" ...

Posted by me just prior to Hookset locking the thread:

"Hey, there really is a Beaver Fishing Club. They post here on ifish! I doubt very many colleges have an on campus salmon/steelhead oriented fishing club (right Birdhunter, Chuck & Duck, 'FishinBeaver', and you other guys? - monikers here). And of course OSU's fisheries biology dept. is one of the best in the country.
As for re-living the college scene a few times - ya, I like it like that. But I think of it as living it up; outright, not re-living it." - RT

Hmmm. Live to play and play to live!
------------------

Thank you Bob for letting us live and play here. We appreciate it. - Steve

[ 10-14-2001: Message edited by: RT 1 ]

[ 10-14-2001: Message edited by: RT 1 ]

#123153 - 10/14/01 07:59 AM Re: Freedom of expression here is a plus! Is it bringing down ifish?
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Puyallup, WA
As soon as I seen the Nazi's put the hold on it the first thing I thought of was " I bet they don't at Bob's board"

Man it's hard to type when the sourmash is kickin in. laugh

#123154 - 10/14/01 08:00 AM Re: Freedom of expression here is a plus! Is it bringing down ifish?
Mike L. Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Walla Walla, Wa.
Interesting, I always felt at the ifish BB like I was crashing a private party. Havn't been there in quite some time.

#123155 - 10/14/01 10:35 AM Re: Freedom of expression here is a plus! Is it bringing down ifish?
fishhead5 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Shelton
It's like a Payton Place. Don't seem to be any of the problems over here on this board. Issues come and go, people get pissed and it's forgotten.

Fishhead5

It is not illegal to deplete a fishery by management.

They need to limit Democrats to two terms, one in office, and one in prison.

#123156 - 10/14/01 11:30 AM Re: Freedom of expression here is a plus! Is it bringing down ifish?
Thumper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver, WA
RT --- Gregg's edits are reasonable, unless we members want to start paying for Ifish in order to see you use up bandwidth to show photos of yourself leading the beer chugging contest with a bunch of teenagers. And bringing the topic over here is downright silly and childish. Get over it.

Please join CCA. After only 18 months total Pacific Northwest membership is over 7,000. We need you!

The walls of death have got to go!

#123157 - 10/14/01 12:42 PM Re: Freedom of expression here is a plus! Is it bringing down ifish?
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Doesn't seem silly nor childish to me since his same thread over there dissapeared. eek eek

#123159 - 10/14/01 03:08 PM Re: Freedom of expression here is a plus! Is it bringing down ifish?
fishen fool Offline
Fry

Loc: Albany,OR
I agree with Thumper!

#123160 - 10/14/01 06:02 PM Re: Freedom of expression here is a plus! Is it bringing down ifish?
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Aunty M, I meant he had this exact same thread over there.
I don't see it anymore.

#123161 - 10/14/01 06:29 PM Re: Freedom of expression here is a plus! Is it bringing down ifish?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thumped quote:

Quote:
leading the beer chugging contest with a bunch of teenagers.

Thumper Jack and the other Fishin FOOL, you obviously have challenges reading things as they were posted; as a few unfortunate guys do at times. And you posted certain unfounded slander. I had posted the drinking fun was with 21 yr. old seniors; not teenagers. And indeed they were (Sean and Eric; both now graduated) - and they were drinking beer before I arrived, and I got asked to join in! Furthermore, you conveniently ignored the fact that several ifish members posted loads of many many many pics of people drinking beer and partying in front of much younger children at Jennie's place recently. Do you have a concept of what 'selectivity' is? Fairness? Consistency? Apparently not. rolleyes At least we know where you 2 stand now. As for bringing it over here? The NAZI's delete anything adverse to their personal agendas. Got an idea for your challenged thought process - don't click on this thread over here if you don't like hearing the facts.

mad EDIT: Thump, as far as willingness to contribute to higher capacity BB software, I have contributed hundreds of dollars behind the scenes to the ifish BB cause, that you are unware of (verifiable). And I have posted over 3000 times there, including a lot of good fishing tech info. Yet I am not allowed a thread by Hookset that was no less benign than many others, including the hords of pics of the beer drinking partying among very young kids at Jennie's. You say Gregg is doing a proper job of moderating. You are entitled to your opinion. Many of our credible opinions are he is doing a 'selective' job of moderating - perhaps by directive, perhaps not! He is clearly avoiding answering to that publicly, after publicly censuring me and several others in my thread. Facts.

RT

[ 10-15-2001: Message edited by: RT 1 ]

#123162 - 10/14/01 09:10 PM Re: Freedom of expression here is a plus! Is it bringing down ifish?
Thumper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Steve --- I don't really care whether your beer-chugging buddies were 21 or 20......The point is that Hookset (Gregg) asked you to minimize non-fishing photos, as is his right as moderator. Ifish is trying to avoid charging for use of the BB, and such photos apparently consume bandwidth. It seemed to be a reasonable request. That was my point. So relax and catch a fish!

Please join CCA. After only 18 months total Pacific Northwest membership is over 7,000. We need you!

The walls of death have got to go!

#123163 - 10/14/01 09:51 PM Re: Freedom of expression here is a plus! Is it bringing down ifish?
Chuck Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Agree with Thump. Original post in this thread does sound childish. Been to Ifish only a couple of times though. Not that that matters.

#123164 - 10/14/01 09:53 PM Re: Freedom of expression here is a plus! Is it bringing down ifish?
Spooled Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: tigard,oregon
I'm with RT on this one. If you are so worried about bandwidth usage and costs, why not delete those stupid cartoon characters everyone seems to use on IFISH. I would certainly prefer looking at RT's college photos than those cartoons. Many of Jen's posts have nothing to do with fishing, and they stay. Thumper, you even posted on some of these non fishing topics. Face it Thumper, this has everything to do with politics and nothing to do with fishing.

#123165 - 10/14/01 10:16 PM Re: Freedom of expression here is a plus! Is it bringing down ifish?
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
Leave what happens on ifish - on ifish. You will be better respected for it.

Steve

#123166 - 10/14/01 10:22 PM Re: Freedom of expression here is a plus! Is it bringing down ifish?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think it was over reaction by the moderator to close the thread. Hey life has been pretty stressful lately and we need to loosen up with some fun posts once in awhile. When I was moderator over there it was too stressful and I got out. The bandwidth concern is bogus! Pics can be deleted as many already have it's no big deal. The cartoons by my friend Rick (Nanook) are harmless fun and do not take up any of ifish disk space.

#123167 - 10/14/01 10:37 PM Re: Freedom of expression here is a plus! Is it bringing down ifish?
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

RT..... IAM WITH YOU ON THIS ONE!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK I ENJOY READING YOUR POST'S!!

- Albert Einstein.

#123168 - 10/14/01 10:47 PM Re: Freedom of expression here is a plus! Is it bringing down ifish?
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SW Washington
I am agree with RT on this what is wrong with a few fun pictures. There wasnt anything wrong with that post and there have been plenty of other posts with pictures that are irelevent to fishing that have stayed. Besides whats wrong with a few pictures of beautiful college women. smile And a little beer drinking. Looked like a great time to me.

#123169 - 10/14/01 11:42 PM Re: Freedom of expression here is a plus! Is it bringing down ifish?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i agree with saltine, this is stupid.

#123171 - 10/15/01 12:14 AM Re: Freedom of expression here is a plus! Is it bringing down ifish?
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Quote:
Originally posted by boater1:
i agree with saltine, this is stupid.

I 3rd that...it is the proliferation of these types of posts that many people (sadly, alot of the 'ole time regulars) dont post on this board anymore. frown

The politicy, *****ing is somewhat enjoyable in moderation but it is becoming more and more prevelant...

Besides deal with Ifish issues at Ifish...most of us who post here dont post there and vice versa.

#123172 - 10/15/01 12:36 AM Re: Freedom of expression here is a plus! Is it bringing down ifish?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Each BB has it's own personality....I happen to like this one. IFish seems a little too persnickety for me whereas this BB enjoys the freedom of life in it's entirety. I've made a couple of posts here that would have got me deleted elsewhere...but here they stood...honest opinions and just good fun shouldn't be censored. This is a fun, truthful, real life BB....I have no real judgement on other BB's as I don't actively use them. Arguments about bandwidth should only come into to play when someone is constantly postin huge files. RT far as I'm concerned post away....never found a problem with your stuff.

Sinker switch to Canadian blended whiskies....that hardcore american sourmash stuff is like sniffin glue! :p eek

Cove RV Park & Tackle Prostaff(1)
Team Canadian Mist
Always FishOn!
Gooose laugh

#123173 - 10/15/01 01:11 AM Re: Freedom of expression here is a plus! Is it bringing down ifish?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey AuntyM how did you know what I did today? Fished about 8 hours without a bite on Tillamook Bay. It was very slow and not many got fish.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 1014 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |