Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123572 - 10/19/01 02:21 PM Re: Another Monster Humpoid Bites the Dust
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
But we also must rember that the biggest fish arent always the most genetically superior...

'Special' genes dont equate to big fish.

#123573 - 10/19/01 02:21 PM Re: Another Monster Humpoid Bites the Dust
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Back to my original point, no Stadle, I disagree with you. That kid did more genetic damage to that humpy run then I did by harvesting a 51" sturgeon.

I did not kill off a 1% fish. Not even close.

This is not a populations discussion, nor a "health of the run" discussion.

I certainly agree that harvesting one humpy has no real effect on the population. That was never an issue.

Parker

#123574 - 10/19/01 02:31 PM Re: Another Monster Humpoid Bites the Dust
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

"'Special' genes dont equate to big fish."

"Hey Parker, how come your fish is bigger then mine."

"Genetics, Special, Genetics!"

wink

#123575 - 10/19/01 02:35 PM Re: Another Monster Humpoid Bites the Dust
Stadle Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle Area
and that is why we live in america - As I disagree with you. I would rather have more sturgeon and smaller humpies that less sturgeon and bigger humpies.

It is a lenth of time thing with reference to sturgeon just not with the humpie.How else can you measure the damage to the sturgeon fishery? Different type of damage.

I personally will not ever harvest a sturgeon again due to this.

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: Stadle ]

#123577 - 10/19/01 03:11 PM Re: Another Monster Humpoid Bites the Dust
Fishgal Offline

Loc: Forks, WA
range should work better now smile

#123578 - 10/19/01 03:12 PM Re: Another Monster Humpoid Bites the Dust
Fishgal Offline

Loc: Forks, WA
range should work better now smile

#123580 - 10/19/01 03:22 PM Re: Another Monster Humpoid Bites the Dust
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
It would seem to me that ocean conditions had most to do with the over sized humpies[and coho and chum]than genetics. Parker mellow out, sleds and waders probably destroy more redds and have more negative impact than that 9 yr. old.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#123581 - 10/19/01 03:25 PM Re: Another Monster Humpoid Bites the Dust
Hey Yall Watch This Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia....beeyotch
Very cool that the kid was able to land such a big fish, even if it was a humpie. A trophy is a trophy and a terd is a terd. If the father is not going to at least mount the fish, then he should at least eat it. I would really really really be disappointed in today's society (even more than I am now) if a 9 yr old kid kept a world record and couldn't get it mounted.

I like what was said, "we keep the first few fish and then we practice c-n-r for the most part." I think that is true, at least for the educated, conscience-minded people. I practice this and I don't have a mind. smile

I'm proud of this kid and his accomplishment. Most of us spend our whole lives in search of trophies, but only a few of us are blessed by God to actually see a trophy, and even fewer harvest a trophy.

That's what makes a trophy a trophy...that's what makes it special. If we have nothing but 14 pound humpies swimming around, then who's to say what a trophy would be? I mean if the norm became 14 pounds... confused wink

Not ruffling too much Parker. Just not everyone has such an extreme catch-n-release policy....because of many different reasons. Plus, if the dad can't afford the mount on a world record, I don't think he's the kind that carries a tape measurer around with him; and others (like myself) may not know all the biology, etc. associated with fish.

And also, consider the source. The father may have said so much more about the fish, or the kid did, but editors hack and change a story like an artist paints on an easel.

Hopefully somebody can get in touch with the padre of this kid and work something out with the mount. If anything, break out a tape measurer and get a replica made of the fish and have the taxidermist "brighten" the fish up or make other cosmetic changes. To me though, a big cosmetic cover-up would completely change the trophy. I like to keep it how I caught it. That doesn't mean I retain trophies. It means how I said it.

thefishinggoddess.com fan club

#123582 - 10/19/01 03:25 PM Re: Another Monster Humpoid Bites the Dust
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
I release all the wild steelhead I catch. Not even an issue. However, if I catch a big bright king, and its legal to keep it....bonk. Big bright silver and its legal to keep it....bonk. Big chum and its legal to keep it....measure and release.....Big $ss humpizoid on steriods.and its legal to keep....measure and release....but if it was my kids fish....bonk......I would think I am in the majority on these ideals....who agrees?

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: RANDY ]

#123583 - 10/19/01 03:33 PM Re: Another Monster Humpoid Bites the Dust
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

I'm as mellow as it gets. I just don't want to hear the double standards when I post that pic of the State Record steelhead I'm bonking this year.

I'll probably have it mounted, but odds are, I'll just let it get freezer burned in the freezer. Oh well, no harm done. I can always kill more.

#123584 - 10/19/01 04:18 PM Re: Another Monster Humpoid Bites the Dust
backlash2 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Pasco, WA
Are people really out there catching all of these humps for food, or just out there because 'catching' fish is fun? I know every hump I've ever seen is not table fare in my house, that's what hatchery steelhead and springers are for laugh . I can see both sides of the coin that you guys are presenting, but I kinda lean toward Parker's point. I think the biggest problem is all of our rivers are full of fish this year, and it's easy for everyone to forget the lean years of the not so past that actually created the awareness that spawned all of us C-N-R freaks. If you abuse it now folks, you are speeding up the return of the dismal years....

#123585 - 10/19/01 06:58 PM Re: Another Monster Humpoid Bites the Dust
Chuck Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Well to me a native is a native, I'm not keepin a 10lber or a 30lber. 3-4 hundred thousand fish versus 3-4 thousand, that is my double standard.

#123586 - 10/19/01 07:54 PM Re: Another Monster Humpoid Bites the Dust
Jeffhead Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Washington
I'm 9 years old.....I get a fish to the bank that is an absolute monster.....I'm sorry, I'm keeping it. Do you really think that in the heat of the momment that kid thought about, or for that fact even knows or cares about a gene pool?!?!?!? I don't think so. Is everyone who fishes as smart as some of the folks on this board....I don't think so. Give the kid a break!!! I glad he caught it and I'm glad he kept it.
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff rolleyes rolleyes

#123587 - 10/19/01 11:53 PM Re: Another Monster Humpoid Bites the Dust
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Turd 'Yall, not TERD, if that's what you were trying to say. Sorry, always catch others speelling erirs. rolleyes

#123588 - 10/20/01 12:26 AM Re: Another Monster Humpoid Bites the Dust
Kunan Offline
Parr

Loc: Spanaway
Why don't we find out who this kid is and all pitch in to have his fish mounted? Just get the thing out of the freezer!! eek

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |