LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123680 - 10/19/01 03:04 PM Hooking fish that are moving hard!
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
I'm sure some of you experience this before. Pod after pod of big bright fish are busting riffles and holding in wierd water, mainly nondescript tailouts and everywhere in between. I have had OK luck tossing spinners or warts. How bout you?

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: BK ]

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#123681 - 10/19/01 03:07 PM Re: Hooking fish that are moving hard!
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Exciting to watch, hard to catch.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#123682 - 10/19/01 03:53 PM Re: Hooking fish that are moving hard!
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
I have found them pretty eager biters in the first available holding water after that...eggs have always worked great....or even just a corkie and yarn.

#123683 - 10/19/01 11:47 PM Re: Hooking fish that are moving hard!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hit'em as soon as they move into a holding spot. They are usually super agressive during the sorting out of pecking order period. You have to be quick as this period may last(usually) less than a minute....after that they settle down into nonbiting mode. My theory about black yarn working so well is based on several biological items: 1) what colors do you see in a silvers or kings mouth area?...Black & White; 2) salmon communicate by displaying these colors to each other and the display is territorial. Notice the flashes of black & white we see from the mouthes of an active school of silver that just moved into a hole.
All of these displays involve anger and aggressiveness. Would love to have some black & white vibraxes.

Cove RV Park & Tackle Prostaff(1)
Always FishOn!
Gooose laugh

#123684 - 10/20/01 03:15 AM Re: Hooking fish that are moving hard!
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
BK,
It's a ***** isn't it. As said before it's quite exciting to watch these fish blast through, but moving fish are goofy, they've got one thing on there mind (the upper river). Moving chinook are a bit easier than moving silvers in my opinion, although both are tough to catch. My best luck on these fish has been eggs though, as you know there is typically a hole that these fish will hold at a certain point in the river. One reason james and I fish from 10:00am on everyday rather than the morning is they actually will bite better as they seem to settle as the afternoon goes on, unless you're talking tidewater. It's always the worst with the first hard rains. This is certainly a tough question to answer, but let me ask you this. Are they HATCHERY Fish? I'd bet they are! They're the worst.
Keith laugh

#123685 - 10/20/01 09:09 AM Re: Hooking fish that are moving hard!
fishkisser99 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Eastsound, WA, USA
Well, Mortac does make a Stilly spoon with a black finish, and you can put a little tape on the inside for some contrast... wink

#123686 - 10/20/01 09:56 AM Re: Hooking fish that are moving hard!
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
Ive had my best luck on moving fish by fishing good holding water water below a shallow riffle or a rapid. The fish seem to stack in those places a little longer. If ou keep at it one will eventually bite.
Silvers seem to be more closed mouth than Chinook. Steelhead on the other hand, will hammer almost anything put in front of them when they are on the move.

#123687 - 10/20/01 12:43 PM Re: Hooking fish that are moving hard!
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Battle Ground, WA
So maybe that is what the black okies with the white spots are. I've been trying to figure out why my grandfather had this color of okie. It makes sense, black mouth-black okie. It's an idea.

Matt

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |