THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125639 - 11/06/01 05:44 PM motorized boat bans!!!!
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

FINALLY!

WDFW is getting smart and proposing a ban, albeit a partial one, on the use of sleds above the water intake on the wynoochee and the west fork of the satsop.

You can read about this in the proposed reg. changes on their website.

It's about time.

#125640 - 11/06/01 05:58 PM Re: motorized boat bans!!!!
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
YEAH!!!!!!!!!
it is about time for this......hurahhhhhh.....Os

#125641 - 11/06/01 07:00 PM Re: motorized boat bans!!!!
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
That would be great,but I'll beleive it when I see
it.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

Team-LTD & Coke

#125642 - 11/06/01 08:00 PM Re: motorized boat bans!!!!
steely slammer Online   content
Three Time Spawner

i will also belive it when i see it...

mainly region 6

#125643 - 11/06/01 08:06 PM Re: motorized boat bans!!!!
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
You can help yourselves believe it by calling WDFW and encouraging the passage of this proposed reg. I hate to see regs like this become necessary, but when common sense is relied upon, it has failed. Sleds up around Schaeffer creek show that some sled pilots are apt to leave their common sense at home.

I'll just keep my fingers crossed that this proposal is adopted.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#125644 - 11/06/01 08:20 PM Re: motorized boat bans!!!!
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Dan is right, If you want this proposal you had better write or call. These are only proposals and will not be pushed through unless the WDFW hears support for or against.

#125645 - 11/06/01 11:08 PM Re: motorized boat bans!!!!
plug puller Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: At FL410
I just sent my email and 2 of my other friends are going to email also. wink

#125646 - 11/06/01 11:35 PM Re: motorized boat bans!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not to rain on the parade but there may be a problem. WDFW may not be able to regulate boat traffic on a waterway. Their jurisdiction would only apply to fishing from a boat...just like the Elwha.....where you can use a boat...just can't fish from it. The only way I see that they could restrict boat use is if there's an ESA issue like eagles on the Skagit. By the way I'm a bankie except when I'm lucky enough to get an invite.

Gooose

#125647 - 11/07/01 12:05 AM Re: motorized boat bans!!!!
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
Actually gooose, the WDFW can put a motorzied vessle ban on any river they want to by putting it in the regulations under special rules. All they need is the approval and it's a go. I know there's more then a few rivers that have it and it's not an ESA issue.

I'm all for it. Nothing like coming around a blind corner and hearing the whizzz of a sled coming up and not knowing if he's going to be in your path. My email is on it's way.

Northwest River Fisherman

#125648 - 11/07/01 12:46 AM Re: motorized boat bans!!!!
wit45cal Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puyallup WA
Full disclosure first, I am a sled owner but also a proponent of knowing your limitations.
What about a size restriction on all motorized boats on certain rivers? I currently am working on a 12 foot sled with inboard jet power just for very skinny water because I don't want to run over fellow fishermen in a 20 footer. I have to go 30 mph plus in shallow water in my big boat and its not safe in confined spaces. This is just a question...not provocation.

#125649 - 11/07/01 01:28 AM Re: motorized boat bans!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Steelheader69 not lookin for an argument just a discussion. laugh From what I can find in the reg's, RCWs,and WACs WDFW juridiction only covers fishing activity....such as fishing from a motorizedor and/or a nonmotorised floating device in specific waters. They have zero jurisdiction over boat traffic of any kind except where they may control thru ownership of shorelines or in the case of habit or ESA concerns. Would WDFW be able to restrict motorized boat birdwatchers on the nooche....don't see how? Personnally I find it sad that it's come to this. Anyway the only relevant reg I could find is a mandate to maintain 'orderly fisheries." Again not looking for an argument ...just a discussion.
Peace

Gooose laugh

#125650 - 11/07/01 03:18 AM Re: motorized boat bans!!!!
Gizmo Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Ridgefield, WA
Just a question...how is that motors are banned, both electric and gas above the Modrow bridge on the Kalama.

The gamies write tickets for violators....

It is also stated in the fishing regs????

giz...

#125651 - 11/07/01 05:44 AM Re: motorized boat bans!!!!
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Puyallup, WA
There's many lakes that you can't have internal combustion engines on. These aren't ESA issues, they're all real small lakes that they wanted the guys with the small boats to enjoy some peace and quiet.
Nothing like a nice quiet morning on the lake and here comes some schmuck to the boat ramp with his gas trolling motor and continues to troll all day. I could see it if it were a big boat but they're always in 12' V hulls.
C'mon you can get a decent elec. motor for a little boat now for around $100 or so.

#125652 - 11/07/01 06:22 AM Re: motorized boat bans!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use my sled more than my dritboat, or bank fish, but I am very glad to see restrictions banning sled use above the intake and W.Fork on the 'Nooch and 'Sop. All NW rivers similar to those 2 should have appropriate motor deadlines. But NOT for electric motors (see below). And smaller streams than those, such as on the north Oregon coast, have the motor bans down low near Hwy. 101. There will never be a shortage of selfish doughballs that will cross the line of common sense, safety, and the peaceful concerns of the majority - unless they are regulated to do so. ... So be it!

Wit', size restrictions on motorized river boats could be appropriate on some smaller rivers. But most of the places they will be allowed to run, the size range of common river boats won't make that much difference. Bigger and wider sleds get on plane faster and actually cause less wake than smaller narrower boats in many cases. A good example of a major restriction backfiring is when they put a 35 h.p. OB motor restriction on the big Kenai River in AK. Even though a few manufacturer's put 35 hp cowells on 45 & 50 hp motors, they still cause more wake than the 200 hp jetpump motored sleds do; in my opinion. Since that reg they have become slower and take longer distances to get on plane with 5 people (4 clients + guide), and ride just a little deeper in the water while traveling because of lack of enough power. These both have caused more wake rather than less, as was the main reason given for the restriction. Some contend the reduced speeds are safer on such a crowded river, and that does have some merit. That may be why the restriction remains?

And Giz, not allowing electric trolling/backtrolling motors on boats where gas OB's are banned makes no sense what-so-ever to me. It is so rediculous that it angers me. The quiet whirring of the small electric motors with plastic props and flexible shafts are less disturbing to fish and less destructive to spawning gravel than digging/slashing oars! And even oars are benign enough to be OK. Guys who wade on redds cause more damage. Using one of the newer and stronger electrics would be great for those with bad backs (which a high % of guys deal with). What's up with that non-thinking? Write your reps and WDFW/ODFW about that issue also.

RT

#125654 - 11/07/01 11:18 AM Re: motorized boat bans!!!!
DrifterWA Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Eric:

Maybe.........but

Have both drift and jet boat.....use the jet about 99% of the time.

1. Have run all the local rivers, including the areas in the proposal. Sure don't do if the water is to low.

2. Think this is "over kill", a more reasonable approach would have been a size limit on boat/motors.....15'and smaller, 40 HP motors, ie.

3. Think the WDF...needs to address the additional need for "public boat launches" before the proposal is "law".

A. Would need to have 2 more on the Satsop, probably around Cook Creek and then to replace the one in the west fork area.

B. Same amount on the Wynoochee, would suggest the Carter Creek area and of course Shaefer Creek area.

Will be interesting, sure hope that having WDF pesonnel living in one of these affected area isn't one of the driving forces behind this. Already has tried to "block off" the gravel bar access in the White Bridge area.

As more and more "baby boomers" retire, and have the "toys" they'll need to have places to play. Bottom line, Grays Harbor is fast becoming one of those "play areas". As you well know, the "launch area's" need major upgrades or in fact need to be built and/or maintained to handle this increase in future boat traffic.

If nothing else, makes for interesting reading!!! And allows people to "work on their typing, english, spelling skills....

Tide is right!!!! smile.....

"Worse day sport fishing, still better than the best day working"

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#125655 - 11/07/01 11:31 AM Re: motorized boat bans!!!!
bank walker Offline
Spawner

Good news!

I hope they push for one on the Sky from Lewis St. up... Im sick of the "boondog" mentallity in small areas. Turning our small to medium size rivers into highways is not what its about. Sleds are fine on the Columbia, Chehalis, lower skagit, snohomish, etc... Send ur emails to DFW!
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#125656 - 11/07/01 11:38 AM Re: motorized boat bans!!!!
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Hey Bill,

Gotta disagree with the need for more/improved launches on both rivers. This would only encourage even more people on 2 already horribly overcrowded rivers. The only exception would be the mouth of the westfork satsop; that launch is in total disrepair and is a boat bottom destroyer.

Secondly, you may have the common sense not to run the upper stretches in low water but there are plenty of meatheads out there that wouldn't think twice about doing it. We've watched this crap for over a decade with no improvement seen.

Third, just because a bunch of baby boomers decide to buy toys for an area they shouldn't be in isn't a good excuse to rule out a ban.

fourth, I think the prposal came about not from the WDFW person you speak of but from a growing outcry of fishermen who are frustrated with sleds here.

Time for a ban!

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: Eric ]

#125657 - 11/07/01 12:25 PM Re: motorized boat bans!!!!
PiperFLA Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bremerton WA, USA
This couldn't happen at a better time...

As I'm about to take delivery of my brand new kick bu++ river floatin, steelie catchin, one bad a$$ mamma jamma... osprey cataraft cool cool

Fish on boys... I'm comin thru! wink

#125658 - 11/07/01 12:30 PM Re: motorized boat bans!!!!
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Ok let me get this straight.....since it's been a while I've seen a "Bird Watcher"
ripping up the Nooch in his jet sled.......But he might scare the little birdies rolleyes

Come on get real eek

they can and do in force this issue on rivers where it'a regulation........Os

Oh Ya Pickeled she's a beauty laugh

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: Osprey ]

#125659 - 11/07/01 12:41 PM Re: motorized boat bans!!!!
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rochester, WA USA
I've never fished the Nooch, however, I do fish the Cowlitz on a regular basis & What a zoo it can be! Guides and other idiots riping up and down the river, one right after another! A drift boater doesn't stand a chance! The total lack of courtesey displayed by a good number of the jet boaters is absolutely ridiculous. In my opinion, if they banned sleds on ALL the rivers it wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
ET, kbrain57, OLYBEAV
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Krijack), 559 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |