LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126376 - 11/12/01 08:09 PM Add another hatchery winter to the list...
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Got a nice clipped chromer yesterday on a river here in SW Washington. Let you guys guess which one (silently). wink

First cast in this hole, drifting eggs (no corky, just eggs), I hooked a bright fish that rolled then started going downriver. My drag was too damn tight and as I was fooling with it, the hook popped out and flew back towards me. frown I rebaited and cast again, nada. Next cast, hooked another fish. This time, I got it in. About a 6 lb. chrome hatchery hen, full of eggs. cool About 20 more casts in that hole yielded only 1 more bite, which I think was probably a smolt or something else.

I got a question for you guys, though. Could that first fish I hooked be the same fish I landed and kept two casts later? I would think the first fish would have been too sore-mouthed to bite. Maybe just a real aggressive fish.?

Maybe it's going to be a good year. Best of luck to you guys. smile

#126377 - 11/12/01 08:21 PM Re: Add another hatchery winter to the list...
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
A few years ago a guy lost a fish probably in the same SW Wash. river. He broke the fish off. Not 10 min. later my brother landed a steelie and low and behold the other guys setup was still planted.

My son and I took 3 hatchery steelies on Sun. with my sons being 12 pounds. My buddy Travis took three large Silvers of 12 - 15 pounds.

FJ...out.

#126378 - 11/12/01 09:00 PM Re: Add another hatchery winter to the list...
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Krome, was drifting eggs and a small corkie, light bite = hookset. Feel one head-shake then nothing. Start reeling in at hi-speed to re-bait, no joke see a vee-wake behind my gear coming upstream! Do I pause to let the steelie eat? No, contiue to crank on my curado, corkie and whats left of my eggs is now at my feet, in 6" of water. Well I've got company, a "krome" 6 lb.hatchery hen, she eats it right in front of me and tears out down stream. Guy next to me ask's "can I get your egg recipe"......chrome

#126379 - 11/12/01 09:28 PM Re: Add another hatchery winter to the list...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got my 6th 7th and 8th winter brat today.

#126380 - 11/13/01 09:32 AM Re: Add another hatchery winter to the list...
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
Found a female hatchery brat on the Hoh Sunday Rich!!! She was low in the river and chrome!!!

Bob D

#126381 - 11/13/01 05:02 PM Re: Add another hatchery winter to the list...
creekwalker Offline
Parr

Loc: longview,
this morning was great two crome fish by 9 shocked o and not one other fisherman on the river.. everyone must be on the kalama :p :p

#126382 - 11/13/01 05:20 PM Re: Add another hatchery winter to the list...
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
I hooked and lost (D'oh!) and a nice two-toner chromer 15+ lb. summer nate in early June. (Mental Note - PowerPro has NO stretch. DO NOT thumb the drag when using PowerPro)

How do I know it was 15+ pounds?

After I lost the fish, some dude ran down and stood less then 3' from me and casted out when I was tying on another jig. His jig was in the water for about 5 seconds when he hooked a fish where I had been fishing! After a long fight that took him way down river, he came back, told me all about the fish, and handed me MY jig that he pulled out of the fishes mouth!

Parker

#126383 - 11/13/01 09:22 PM Re: Add another hatchery winter to the list...
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Parker, sounds like another vote in the yes Steelhead do bite again shortly after being hooked.

FJ....out.

#126384 - 11/14/01 10:04 PM Re: Add another hatchery winter to the list...
Anonymous
Unregistered

KB and guys,

Reports out of Oregon rivers are of early winter steelhead this season also. I think we are finally going to have a really good brat season, before we switch to C&R nates later on. Watch the hot fishing for combos of nooks and steelies to break loose when these blown out rivers come back into shape! Probably right when I'm on a 5 day Thanksgiving trip with family. Dang the timing for me - oh well, no biggie; it's a long season. Have a good one guys! smile

RT

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
ET, kbrain57, OLYBEAV
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 560 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |