Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126464 - 11/13/01 08:39 PM boating compromises
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I have a dilemma and am hoping to solicit some advice from those who have experience in this area. The problem is this: I need/want a good all around fishing boat. I have narrowed things down a bit in that I'm looking at welded aluminum between 14 feet and 19 feet. Originally I planned to used the boat only in the salt and in various lakes (I already have a drift boat to float the rivers). Lately however, I've been getting greedy and thinking I could get a boat that can handle salt, lakes AND rivers. My questions are as follows:

Am I asking for too much?
Any boat brands/models that people recommend?
What are people's experiences using a jet in both salt & fresh...good idea/bad idea/stupid idea?

Any and all opinions are appreciated as I only have so much space in my garage and/or backyard.

JMS

#126465 - 11/13/01 09:38 PM Re: boating compromises
Anonymous
Unregistered

i`d keep your driftboat for the rivers and buy a deep vee for the salt and lakes. the hewsecraft 17 sea runner with a 115 4 stroke yamaha would be a nice setup.

#126466 - 11/13/01 11:40 PM Re: boating compromises
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
I have a Klamath 15 foot open welded boat with a 50 HP jet. It works great for lakes and OK for rivers. The pluses: It's light-weight for one person to easily get on/off the trailer and for smaller lakes with marginal boat ramps it works well. It's open all around - a nice fishing boat with high gunnels and bow.
The minuses: because its a compromise boat, it does lots of things good but some only so so. Its light which means don't run it wild on a river. It will get dented (mine has a few from hitting shallows - ouch). Its a bit under-powered. Fine for me and one another adult, a pig with three adults.
I haven't used it much on the salt since I have a salt boat. However, it would be OK I'm sure. The bow is high and helps keep spray off to the sides. I don't know how the jet would handle salt water, I do take it out a few times down to Tillamook and its been OK.

#126467 - 11/14/01 12:06 AM Re: boating compromises
Anonymous
Unregistered

Take a look at the smokercraft line of boats. I went with their 17.5 with a Force 75 back in 97
and have been mostly pleased. Fished it out at Neah Bay, Campbell River, inside Grays Harbor, straits and every place you could think of inside Puget Sound. Works great on lakes. Multiple fishing stations. Only complaint is the electronics are not made for the salt...plan on replacing your swithes and fuse connections. Also go with the 19 foot and don't underpower it.

Gooose laugh

#126468 - 11/14/01 12:39 AM Re: boating compromises
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
19.6 Willie Predator
150 Jet
10 degree bottom

Great for rivers
Great for lakes
Fine for salt but if the wind picks up, you'll need a spare kidney.

Wouldn't trade it for anything. (might add the air ride seats some day)

#126469 - 11/14/01 01:44 AM Re: boating compromises
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm close to Saltine's suggestion. The 19.5' Willie Predator (or similar from other manufactures) is a great all-around boat. It handles quicker in the rivers than the 21' sleds; with 2 to 4 guys, not 5. For your use I would opt for a 12 degree front V tapering to a low degree 'shoe' at the back. For extra saltwater comfort you can opt for a couple more inches of side height and a windshield model. I would also go with more power for less wear on the engine. Either the 200/140 hp jet OB, or the newer 175 Sportjet I/O.

Those are very high priced rigs new however. My friend Jeff has a welded aluminum V sled by Habercraft, windshield version with a 150/105 hp jet OB, I think about 17.5'. We have fished 3 nicely in the Cowlitz/Lewis type rivers, Elliot Bay in Puget Sound, and just fine out near the saltwater mess by Buoy 10. Cost much less.

RT

#126470 - 11/14/01 09:03 AM Re: boating compromises
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
I solved the same problem! I bought 4 boats! However this isnt always finacialy feasable. I made sure I did it before I got hooked up again!

Bob D

#126471 - 11/14/01 10:28 AM Re: boating compromises
Jeffhead Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Washington
As RT stated I do have an 18 ft Harbercraft 12 degree vee. Just put the 150/105 pump on the back as I bought it with a 115/80 that we just flat wore out. The 150 is more than plenty of motor. The boat fishes 3 nicely and now with the new motor could fish 4 but it would be a squeeze. As for salt and fresh water I use it a lot in both places, very comfortable in the salt with the deep vee and have run all of the local rivers including some of the smaller ones like the Nisqually, the Nooch up to the Barrier and the Satsop up to the forks. Just have to watch the river levels and know what the boat will do. You are right to get an all around boat it will be a compromise. The one thing I will state emphatically if you decide on a jet is DON"T UNDERPOWER THE BOAT!!!! It will cost you in the long run, spend a few more bucks up front. Kinda like the Fram commercial "pay me now or pay me later". I would run any boat you plan on buying with at least 3 folks in it to check it out. If it does not run at least a 1000 RPM under max WOT to keep it on plane and running it is under powered. Trust me on this one I just learned this the hard way!!!
I fish a lot with my Dad who is 78 and a front console with a windshield and a top was a real high priority. If I had the money and storage space I would have a glass salt boat with a prop like the one I have and an open sled for the rivers. You have to consider what kind of fishing you want to do, are you a troller or a moocher in the salt, anchor up and pull plugs or boondog in the rivers?? Those are the things that you need to consider. Hope you find the right boat!!!
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff laugh laugh

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Jeffhead ]

#126472 - 11/14/01 11:58 AM Re: boating compromises
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Thanks for all the excellent advice. I wish I could do what Bob D did....oh well, maybe in another life.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (fp), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |