Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127255 - 11/19/01 05:53 PM Spelling Bee Contest - Part II
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just got thru with a 'spelling tease' in the "To Wildsteelie?" thread. So I thought it's time for another 'Spelling Bee' contest.

Last spring I had a contest to give the first member to post a spelling mistake of mine (in the same thread - not a new one) a bag of custom egg cure. It came down to a hot contest between Kid Sauk (Justin) and RPutzold (Ryan). Oooops, mis-spelled Petzold again. laugh

I only made it thru one stinkin day before Justin got me. This time it will be from right after this post at 2:52 pm Monday thru 6:00 pm Wednesday, when we leave for the coast for a few days. I bet I can make it thru 51 hours without a spelling mistake. Anyone correctly posting a spelling mistake of mine, I will send half a dozen quality spinners (including a couple custom painted Blue Fox Vibrax's).

It has to be a normal word mis-spelled. Not an abbreviation, name, or slang - such as whazzup or OP or stinkin (I leave the g off of words often).

Steve (RT)

#127256 - 11/19/01 06:46 PM Re: Spelling Bee Contest - Part II
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Well,

I found one, but it was in your post at 1:17pm on the "Judge Hogan" thread. "Lethergy", how you spelled it, should actually be spelled "Lethargy".

Maybe this will qualify me for runner-up?

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#127257 - 11/19/01 06:48 PM Re: Spelling Bee Contest - Part II
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
You don't need a hyphen in "misspelled". I read the fine print, and I know the contest starts after your 2:52pm post. Just practicing! wink Besides, your panel of judges would probably rule that it was a punctuation mistake, or poetic license, rather than a spelling err. After all, them's purty valubull prize's at steak! laugh

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: CedarR ]

#127258 - 11/19/01 06:56 PM Re: Spelling Bee Contest - Part II
Thumper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Steve --- If your spelling and grammar is typical of that found in articles in STS by other authors it will be no problem to find errors. Someone really should tell Frank to fix that problem. It makes for a grade-school level magazine.

Please join CCA. After only 18 months total Pacific Northwest membership is over 7,000. We need you!

The walls of death have got to go!

#127259 - 11/19/01 07:33 PM Re: Spelling Bee Contest - Part II
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ooooooo ooooouch Jack! Hey, spelling mistakes haven't kept you from reading the fishing websites or STS magazine. You mischaracterized your own dynamic. laugh

Cedar, thanks for the reminder. Like the last contest, I do take literary license for hyphens and my own style of punctuation. Since I got this in before any misspelled words, they are part of this 'for fun' little contest. smile (You see, I misspell a lot of words to be making any fun of other guy's spelling. Hence, the for fun contest)

RT

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: RT i ]

#127260 - 11/19/01 07:42 PM Re: Spelling Bee Contest - Part II
kjackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Townend, WA
Rt-- Since this post was actually at 2:53 instead of 2:52, it's game on, right?

If so, then Vibrax's should be Vibraxes. Apostrophes don't make words into plurals. But who am I to judge? I am not the world's best typist, and sometimes my proofreading leaves a lot to be desired.

KJ

#127261 - 11/19/01 07:56 PM Re: Spelling Bee Contest - Part II
Gregor Offline
Smolt

Loc: America
what reference will you be using to be the final authority? maybe www.dictionary.com

#127262 - 11/19/01 08:21 PM Re: Spelling Bee Contest - Part II
Anonymous
Unregistered

Whew 'jackson. But I typed "right after this post".

Gregor, that site is fine with me. I saved it in my 'favorites' storage.

I dare anyone else to try this, with some gear as a prize. It's harder than you think. Geez, sometimes I can read right over a misspelled word twice and not notice.

#127263 - 11/19/01 09:30 PM Re: Spelling Bee Contest - Part II
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Bingo, grammar was spelled incorrectly. Andy

#127264 - 11/19/01 09:31 PM Re: Spelling Bee Contest - Part II
Gizmo Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Ridgefield, WA
Rt: you misspelled occasionally in my hot tamele post.

Since your rules indicate we must post the misspelling here it is....I win
RT i
Returning Adult
Angr # 911

<http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif> posted 11-19-2001 06:09 PM [Profile for RT i] [Email RT i] [Edit/Delete Post] [Reply With Quote] Hey thanks Gizmo and Scott! Which of the 2 jig shows we did on the Wilson is it - steelhead, or chinooks (with my egg curing segment)?

This TV program is a lot like Fisherman's Heaven in that it is mostly local fishing for salmon and steelhead, and occassionally sturgeon. Many times with top local guides. And 30 minutes of commercial free fishing and info. Not 22 minutes with 8 minutes of commercials as in network or national cable bass shows.

RT

Giz... laugh laugh

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Gizmo Man ]

#127265 - 11/19/01 09:33 PM Re: Spelling Bee Contest - Part II
Gizmo Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Got posted twice...sorry.

Giz...

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Gizmo Man ]

#127266 - 11/19/01 09:43 PM Re: Spelling Bee Contest - Part II
birdhunter Offline
Alevin

Loc: Clackamas or Corvallis or Ashl...
Way to go Giz!

What was that Steve? 3 hrs and 16 min?

A NEW RECORD!!!!

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: birdhunter ]
Beaver Believer

#127267 - 11/19/01 09:44 PM Re: Spelling Bee Contest - Part II
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Okay RT,

It is up to you to decide. I posted the error at 6:30 pm, then Gizmo posted the second error at 6:31, I then gave both mispelling and correct form of "grammar" at 6:32 pm, then Gizmo with the same at 6:33 pm, but with "occassionally.

Andy

#127268 - 11/19/01 09:54 PM Re: Spelling Bee Contest - Part II
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dogfish (Andy) wins. Geeeeeeeeez, this is embarrassing! shocked 3 hrs. and 16 minutes. Last time I made it closer to 24 hours? It is harder than you think. I DARE ANYONE TO TRY THIS CONTEST - and offer up some tackle. Even if for only a 24 hr. time slot, if you post frequently.

Andy, click on my e-mail icon at the top of my post and send me your street addy. I will send you the 6 good spinners ASAP. Good going. smile Man, I hope I won Fishgal's spinners in Bob's guess where pic contest, to make up for losing some of my good ones.

Steve

#127269 - 11/19/01 09:56 PM Re: Spelling Bee Contest - Part II
Gizmo Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Dogfish: we both win. There is no limit to the number of winners. RT states "anyone" not the first one. He did not set any limits....

laugh wink

Giz...

#127270 - 11/19/01 10:02 PM Re: Spelling Bee Contest - Part II
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Hi RT,

First off, I have to say this. WOW, what a generous guy! I feel kind of bad, waiting for you to screw up so that I could profit, but I think those spinners will help to allieviate the sting a bit.

Second of all, Gizmo man, excellent job on the runner up status.

My wife and sons were wondering why I looked like I had to pee but kept on typing. Oh well, it's been a while since I won something.

Once again, THANKS RT!!

Andy

#127271 - 11/19/01 10:08 PM Re: Spelling Bee Contest - Part II
Anonymous
Unregistered

Giz, you forgot the precident mentioned and implied in the previous paragraph - "... to give the first member to post a spelling mistake of mine ...". Ruling of the judge is final! laugh I'll be danged if I'm gonna give out 6 spinners for every misspelled word the next 48 hours. No way!

But I will give ya couple when my tail is healed up better and we can hit the NF in December. Do you think we can get Keith to dial us in a little better there before F III? ... No! But I'm sure he will afterward. He's a good guy that shares his knowledge.

RT

#127272 - 11/19/01 10:10 PM Re: Spelling Bee Contest - Part II
Gregor Offline
Smolt

Loc: America
think Giz is right...all I read was a time limit laugh

oh btw precident is spelled wrong...should be precedent

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Gregor ]

#127273 - 11/19/01 10:21 PM Re: Spelling Bee Contest - Part II
Thumper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver, WA
By the way....."trail and error" probably should be "trial and error".

Please join CCA. After only 18 months total Pacific Northwest membership is over 7,000. We need you!

The walls of death have got to go!

#127274 - 11/19/01 10:46 PM Re: Spelling Bee Contest - Part II
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh man, my son is making me a 'dunce' cap right now. Must wear it at all times on the computer for a week. What a precedent, eh? This 'trial and error(s)' contest was a bonehead move for me. But fun.

I haven't seen any of you expert word watchers offer to put your pride on the line and do the same contest. Maybe after the holiday week here, we can rotate guys into the spelling hot seat, with the word catcher winner getting something? Could be a fun regular thing. Maybe have one for wrong fishing answers too? laugh That would get some good debates going!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 332 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645402 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |