LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127539 - 11/20/01 09:37 PM Is bobber and jigs too easy?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Mighty Zog thinks it's pretty easy. Does it dull your senses to the "feel" of drift fishing? No doubt it is an extremely effective methods and lends itself very well to catch and release. I've gotten to the point that it is my most used method of fishing but still enjoy the tap...tap...tap of drift fishing.

#127540 - 11/20/01 10:12 PM Re: Is bobber and jigs too easy?
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
I don't think its too easy, just another way to fish. A couple of things I like about it are, the fish are almost always hooked in the roof of the mouth, and its a "clean take" no snagging or lining. Throwing spinners & spoons, driftfishing its all good! But I bet deep down inside the most hard-core steelheader is a little kid that goes YES!!! when that bobber goes down. laugh laugh

#127541 - 11/20/01 10:26 PM Re: Is bobber and jigs too easy?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the only thing in fishing that I would refer to as "too easy" is in a scenario where you caught a fish on every cast; like in a trout farm. That takes a little of the challenge fun out of it. The basics for jig fishing are easy. It's the little tricks and intricacies which aren't as easy that make it more productive and fun. Same as for driftfishing and other techs. I do love to see that bobber go down hard - a real visual rush. smile

#127542 - 11/20/01 11:14 PM Re: Is bobber and jigs too easy?
bank walker Offline
Spawner

The best float take downs in the world are the ones when you are casting for hours without a hit and you take your eyes off for a few seconds to see whats goin on up river and WHAM bobber down and you are left looking frantically all over the river for your bobber. You would look like the village idiot if you laid into nuthing and your bobber was actually right by your feet.

Nothing is easy steelhead fishing. Normaly you have to work for every fish. I love bobber down, the "spungy" feel of a drift fish take, the "stop" of a fluttering spoon, and the smash of a spinner take. All aspects of steelheading are awsome!
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#127543 - 11/20/01 11:45 PM Re: Is bobber and jigs too easy?
papafsh Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA.
Too easy? the only thing too easy about fishing in the North West, is gettin' rained on!
There are days that are magical.....My son and I once hit three nice winter runs out of the same slot on the same jig in less than 15 minutes, and then there are days when you can't buy a strike, like today! but that's all a part of the game.
I too am really into jigs, have been for the last five years, but some times when that tap-tap-tap of lead on bottom stops and you lift the rod tip and feel the shake of a massive head, or watch the flash of a spinner blade as a chrome missle comes out of the depths, the jaws open and the battle begins......well those send a chill up my spine too.
I'm thankful for all of them, each in their own way should not be missed, or dismissed, as less than worthy!
I usually carry, in my vehicle, a 10 1/2 ft. float rod,with spinning reel. A 8 1/2 ft drift rod, with level wind reel. My 9wt fly rod and a 8 1/2 ft spinning rod. I know that might seem like overkill for a bankie, but I would rather be ready for whatever the conditions require. My goal is to experience the thrill of steelheading, in all it's variations, after all, isn't that what keeps us on the river? cool

#127544 - 11/21/01 01:33 AM Re: Is bobber and jigs too easy?
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
It sure as hell beats the snag, snap, re-tie of drift fishing though smile

#127545 - 11/21/01 01:42 AM Re: Is bobber and jigs too easy?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great posts by bw and papa'. Cool.

#127546 - 11/21/01 10:46 AM Re: Is bobber and jigs too easy?
Chuckn'Duck Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Eden
Its damn nice to actually catch fish on a jig/bobber setup after swinging flies the majority of the winter. I feel its something of an accomplishment for me when I do hook up on the traditional fly method and its a method I use faithfully every winter (must be a sickness). However, as the year goes on I find myself fishing more and more with the bobber. I even use my spey rod with a small cork bobber and a 1/16 oz jig...best of both worlds!

#127547 - 11/21/01 10:58 AM Re: Is bobber and jigs too easy?
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
General Zog called it "Training Wheels" I beleive wink
In basic terms it's simple,
But as time goes by you start to figure out...it's aint that easy.

I love to Jig fish ,last year I put more fish on the bank with my jig rod,But I love to fish bait still.
Th perfect cast the soft tap tap,followed by the ever so soft inhale of the bait......Snap-Hook set...fish on...I love it..........Os

#127548 - 11/21/01 12:57 PM Re: Is bobber and jigs too easy?
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bellevue Washington
I can't say much about bobber fishing at this time, I have not had any luck the few times I have tried it but that could just be me. I am looking forward to learning some techniques from you pros though. papa - I really like what you had to say. I don't have all the gear yet but I agree totally.

#127549 - 11/21/01 01:34 PM Re: Is bobber and jigs too easy?
Old Chum Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA, USA
Hey Chuckn'Duck,
What you write sounds familiar. I do the fly swing and last year caught 2 for all my efforts (2 was 100% more than previous years). Anyway, I've considered several times doing a jig and strike indicatior show. Do you purchase your 1/16 oz. jigs or tie flies to go below your jig? Also, not having jig fished do you shoot for a couple feet below the river surface or half-way between the bottom of the river and the surface or is it just a random thing depending on conditions? Looks to me like the jig guys try to keep things somplace mid-water while not making leaders below their bobbers too long to easily cast? -Old Chum

#127550 - 11/21/01 01:59 PM Re: Is bobber and jigs too easy?
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rochester, WA USA
Probably 90% of the Steelhead I catch are on jigs. I like to fish jigs because the type of water I fish most of the time is more well suited to jig/float fishing. is it easier than "Traditional drift fishing"? I dont know, maybe it is. But what difference does it make if it is easy? Does it make a fisherman inept because he enjoys fishing with jigs, or to the same token, is a fisherman more adept because he refuses to do anything other than drift fish? Does it matter? Are there really people out there who are soooooo snobby and elitist that they would actually say "Well, yeah those are nice fish, but ANYBODY can catch fish on jigs! Real fishermen drift fish". It's just fishing, and everyone has their favorite way of doing things and each and every way of fishing has it's place where it will out perform all other methods of fishing.

#127551 - 11/21/01 02:32 PM Re: Is bobber and jigs too easy?
Trick Offline
Fry

Loc: St. Helens, OR
Any of you know of a web-site that has pictures of jigs in use? I tried it once last year and after a couple of hours I gave up. Tied on a spinner and nailed a 18lb native buck on the first cast through the same slot I was running the jig. I tend to loose faith fast when these things happen. That was the last time I tried jig floating for steelhead. I really need to see some good diagrams and breakdowns on the art of jigging.

Maybe you know of some good books that will help a rookie of jigging succeed?

#127552 - 11/21/01 03:37 PM Re: Is bobber and jigs too easy?
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
I'm sorta agree with Trick. I've tried jigs quite a bit over the past year but have yet to land, or even hook, anything. So in my book, I'm not to the point where the technique is too easy. I seriously doubt I'll ever get there either.

I really enjoyed Stewy's jig and bobber demonstration at the Tackle Swap a week or so ago on the Clackamas River. But I still need to develop my confidence in using jigs. Perhaps this winter will bring some success.

#127553 - 11/21/01 03:45 PM Re: Is bobber and jigs too easy?
JohnnyCoho Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Rockport,WA,USA
I'm baaaack!!!! hehehe It's been awhile here, but with the rivers all high, decided to do a little surfing.
Just wish I still owned "John's Jigs" hehehe
Oh well, Ya win some and then,...Ya win some more!!!
Trick, try, "Steelhead Jig Fishing Techniques and Tackle" By; Dave Vedder and Drew Harthorn
Great book on history of Jig Fishing in Wa. and also has diagrams for you on various set-ups.
They really do work great!!! J---<")(/(/(/(/)>{

"Life is short. Never pass up a hug. Look children in the eye when you talk to them. Bend the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile."

#127554 - 11/21/01 08:00 PM Re: Is bobber and jigs too easy?
Chuckn'Duck Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Eden
Old Chum,,
Now I'm using jigheads I purchase through First Cast Jigs and Rainbow Jigs. The trick is not to get them too heavy, or a roll cast won't work. Everything will pile up in front of you. I use an 11 1/2 foot two hander (not a traditional spey) 9 wt. and overline it with 11wt. floating saltwater taper. The longer taper on the saltwater head makes for easier roll casting. I tried traditional steelhead, weight forward, and even a bass bug taper in 10 wieght but the would not load my rod up enough to punch out the line with a roll cast. It kind of has to be trial and error with the gear you are using to find the right set up. The best info is to overline the rod you are going to use.

The longer rod allows you to roll cast better than a one hander (although it can be done). Overhead casting with a small cork bobber (the second from the smallest size available...they are round cork with an orange plastic insert to run your line through) and 1/16 oz. jig makes for some hard hat material when overhead casting. Also, you can keep an amazing amount of line off the water for a drag free drift as well as making some huge mends as needed. I use this method mainly on brushy smaller streams where traditional casting is not an option and/or reaching out far enough with a one-hander on a roll cast is not easy. Additionally, I can tight line right over alot of small slots and along brush piles and trees with the added length of the rod.

As far as fly and jig selection, like I stated earlier, I've been tying my own. However, I was using Doc's jigs in the 1/16 oz size with awsome success last spring. They are light enough to bomb out on a 40-50 foot roll. I also used 3X-4X long Mustad streamer hooks (have to have the downturned eye to ride properly) and tied in 1/16 oz dumbell eyes to work as a jighead and then dressed them to what I condition was fishing.

If I'm fishing water 8 feet and shallower I'll fix the bobber with a toothpick. In deeper situations I use a slider, allthough this Is not as easy to cast. Normally I try to keep the jig within two feet of the bottom.

Gotta Go...more later

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 865 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |