Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128026 - 11/26/01 06:39 AM snagging question
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
i heard someone talking today about people who were deliberately "snagging" their fish. i have just started river fishing this summer and have never seen or figured out how one could do that on purpose. i feel a tug on my line and i set the hook, i dont know any other way to go about it. can someone explain this so i can make sure i know what to look out for?

#128027 - 11/26/01 07:59 AM Re: snagging question
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
there are many ways to snag.I am not going to teach some body how.You keep fishing just the way you are.The rewards from fishing far outway the meat from snagging.You keep fishing the rivers and you will inevatably run into snaggers and hopefully it will piss you off.

#128028 - 11/26/01 01:10 PM Re: snagging question
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
KSR,

Look up the WDFW definition of "snagging" - Page 13 in the 2001 WDFW Sport regs:

"Attempting to take fish with a hook and line in such a way that the fish does not voluntarily take the hook(s) in it's mouth."

A lot of different techniques can be used to snag fish. Just remember that it's not the technique to blame. It's the person who chooses to use that technique to snag.

#128029 - 11/26/01 05:38 PM Re: snagging question
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Also, most snaggers names start with Billy Bob... :p

#128030 - 11/26/01 08:58 PM Re: snagging question
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Five yard drifts or location hooksets is what I like to call em. The mentality being that during the course of a drift set the hook in those locations were bodies are felt. Always frowned upon when others are doing it!

FJ...out.

Oh, does flossing fall in the snagging department?
Just curious.

#128031 - 11/26/01 11:58 PM Re: snagging question
Dr Pepper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim, Washington
FJ,

The flossing thing has been talked about a lot on previous posts. I personally think flossing is snagging. If the fish doesn't voluntarily take a bait or lure I think it is snagging.

KSR just look for guys that "get a bite on every cast."

~ Dr Pepper

http://www.steelheader.net

#128032 - 11/27/01 12:22 AM Re: snagging question
UltimateFeashKacher Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: WA
Avoid spawning grounds and summer time low h2o stacked pools and most likely your snagging ratio will go down. I can't seem to enjoy hooking fish on spawning redds so I naturally avoid it. It makes me feel guilty if I hook one even in the mouth.

#128033 - 11/27/01 01:26 AM Re: snagging question
Leadslinger Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Wa,USA
KSR,you will know these snaggers when you finally run into them.They have succumbed to the Dark Side.I don't think many of them really know how to fish and aren't willing to invest the time,or seek proper assistence, to learn to fish the right way.Snaggers will never get any better at fishing.
Starting out can be a little frustrating.Keep at it.Continue to learn this sport the right way and you won't regret it.

#128034 - 11/27/01 02:51 AM Re: snagging question
Bugleman Offline
Parr

Loc: Beaverton, OR
How do you know that the flossed fish wasn't trying to eat lead. wink

#128035 - 11/27/01 05:53 AM Re: snagging question
Anonymous
Unregistered

A good sign of a flossed fish is one with the hook stuck outside the mouth, rather than inside - in which case it is considered a snagged fish and illegal to keep; even if the hook point went thru the outer jaw and poked the tip of the point thru into the mouth cavity.

#128036 - 11/27/01 07:38 AM Re: snagging question
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

I dare you guy's to go on the fly fishing forrum next door and start this debate.They seem to think that the shallow water chum fisheries are the icing on the cake and the only ones snagging are the gear guys.

#128037 - 11/27/01 10:30 AM Re: snagging question
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bellevue Washington
As someone who flyfishes and gearfishes (what a distinction! rolleyes rolleyes - please inject sarcasm)I can only say that I have never heard of a flyfisherman 'snagging' any kind of fish. This is because of the type and method of presentation....just as a proper 'gear' fisherman does not 'snag' fish. wink laugh

#128038 - 11/27/01 11:40 AM Re: snagging question
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Thomas, re: fly fishermen snagging, I have unfortunately heard and seen too much of it. It does happen. You'll see it in groups that fish for chums and sockeye. Despite great evidence to the contrary, there is a certain group of non-sportsmen who use fly gear who persist in believing that sockeyes and chums will not strike a fly. These folks think it is therefore justified to line the fish and try to snag them in the mouth. Some of them are pretty good at it.

You see most of the sockeye lining in Alaska in the roadside streams. I have seen some of the chum lining here in washington. Which is sad, because it is easy to catch doggies fairly.

#128039 - 11/27/01 03:40 PM Re: snagging question
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
I agree. Even fly anglers can and do snag salmon, particularly where the fish are concentrated. It is often unintentional. A case in point - Beginners Hole on the Kalama River in September. It's flies only water during Sept-Oct but the fish are stacked so thick it's not hard to snag/floss one. I realize virtually all the folks fishing this hole are legit fly anglers. But there are some who aren't so inclined.

#128040 - 11/27/01 05:34 PM Re: snagging question
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Unfortunatly I grew up fishing chico creek.Anybody that has fished down there knows why I posted that dare.It is a sad.Don't understand how people can pull any satisfaction out of corralling a bunch of chums, then casting out into the middle of school of thrashing fish,Hoping to hook one in the mouth.Hell they block the creek to keep the fish out in the bay.the fish make repeated drives at the legs of the fishermen,untill they finally swim through theie legs.Inevitably one of the fly fishermen gets on one of the more blatant snaggers and the debate begins.something about jumping stacked up salmon that brings out the worst in some people.

#128041 - 11/27/01 05:36 PM Re: snagging question
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

wow it looks like I am already swimming upstream!

#128042 - 11/27/01 06:50 PM Re: snagging question
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
If you really want to learn to snag go fish the Samish down low! You'll learn all you want! I went this year and couldent believe it! I saw over 40 fish bonked and NONE were close to being hooked in the mouth! They have a pact up there or something. They actually congratulate other anglers as they slide there King or Silver to the bank by there tail! Biggest joke Ive ever seen!
A Game Wardon could clean up there! Plenty of places to hide and witness this hillbilly fishery. And they think there skilled anglers! What a joke!

Bob D

#128043 - 11/27/01 07:32 PM Re: snagging question
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Samish, Carbon, Humptulips, Satsop, Barrier dam, etc... The list is endless. Wherever salmon congregate, so does the scum. frown frown

#128044 - 11/27/01 07:40 PM Re: snagging question
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

RTi, how can you say a fish with a "hook stuck outside the mouth, rather than inside - in which case it is considered a snagged fish and illegal to keep"?? a fish hooked in that manner would not always be snagged, it could have made a fair chase at the bait/lure and just missed getting the hook into its mouth...since parker referenced the regs in an earlier post, lets open our books to page 13 again and follow along at home - under Selective Gear Rules (last sentence) "If any fish has swallowed the hook or is hooked in the gill, eye, or tongue, it should be kept if legal to do so."..."legal to do so" meaning if that particular species/size etc is legal to keep during that time of year. a fish's eye and gill is very much outside the mouth and under the rules would be legal. i grew up near redondo and would cast buzzbombs off the pier for salmon when i was younger, we would hook a salmon in the tail once in a while. someone told me (i have no idea if this is true or not) that a salmon would swipe at its prey with its tail to stun it, then turn around to take it. this seemed to explain how that would happen, but in no way can that be considered snagging especially in saltwater where they are so scattered.

#128045 - 11/27/01 08:01 PM Re: snagging question
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
KSR,

Salmon stacked up in rivers RARELY, if at all, go out of their way to chase corkies with big hunks of yarn and a 5/0 hook.(It's a general statement. I'm not trying to start a debate about salmon taking corkies!) You could justify keeping the fish a million ways, but the bottom line is you know if you're INTENTIONALLY snagging or not. If it's unintentional, release the fish unharmed and try again. If you know that by jerking in the middle of a drift is going to hook a fish and you do it anyway, you're right there with the rest of the snaggers. In saltwater areas like the Redondo pier, those salmon are suspended in the water column, and along comes a buzzbomb ripping up and down with a treble hook attached, and hooks it in the tail. Like you said, it doesn't happen very often, but it does happen. I can pretty much guarantee that the fish wasn't trying to stun the buzzbomb with it's tail. wink

#128046 - 11/27/01 08:17 PM Re: snagging question
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

so then it would all come down to intent, that makes a lot of sense out of it, thanks

#128048 - 11/27/01 08:32 PM Re: snagging question
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

no im not trying to bait anyone at all, i just made a legitimate post to discuss this, thats all...i am just looking for facts and opinions, and some people just dont want to hear it. maybe im not being politically correct pointing out fact but i see no reason to water it down, so flame away if you must

#128050 - 11/27/01 10:19 PM Re: snagging question
UltimateFeashKacher Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: WA
Ouch ... please let me go, I am spawning. I am getting a slight feeling that I was snagged into this discussion. wink

#128051 - 11/27/01 10:34 PM Re: snagging question
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rochester, WA USA
Who gives a [Bleeeeep!]?! Look, if it's hooked in the mouth, it's fair..... Simple as that! There is no room for an arguement on this matter. If you hook a fish and its in the mouth but the hook is penetrating from the outside, it's still fair! If you have a problem with that logic, then don't keep the fish! There is no proof whatsoever that a fish that is hooked in the mouth with the hook penetrating in from the outside did not intentionally bite whatever it is that you're trowing at it. If the whole in from the outside thing really is snagging, then explain how about 75% of the steel head I see caught Boondogging on the Cowlitz are hooked in this manner? Is that snagging? Are ALL of those guides breraking the law? Or does this rule only apply when your in some kind of a combat fishery and everyone else is outfishing you? "Oh, they're lining those fish. Real fishermen don't fish like that". Listen dude, In my opinion it's not snagging, I do it all the time and I'm really good at it..... If its in the mouth, its in the mouth.... Period!

#128052 - 11/27/01 11:19 PM Re: snagging question
Anonymous
Unregistered

The intent of that last line under "selective gear" rules is only meant to encourage that fish hooked in locations that tend to cause high mortalities be taken rather than released. Gill plates are not gills....never seen a fish hooked in the gills except thru inside of the mouth. Only way to hook a fish in the tongue is well let me look in the old biology book...will wonders never cease...through the inside of the mouth. Now I've seen a few fish hooked in the eye from outside the mouth....you almost always see this on smaller fish with single siwash hooks where the hook is inside the fishes mouth but the point exits from the inside thru the eye. A gamie is going to write you a big ticket of $500 if he catches you keeping any fish hooked in the gill plates or in the eye if that hook is outside the mouth...period. Gosh if you doubt this I bet we can schedule for you to try this in front of one. Sheesh do we even have to quibble over hooked in the tongue...really hope everyone knows where the tongues located? Sorry you won't get a ticket for that one. Please read the snagging rules? As for the outside but real near the gumline hookup well do what you please but realize you're likely to get the big ticket also...just less likely....probably depend on the officer and mood.
I'm staying out of the flosser debate....as there's too much gray area in what's being talked about.

Gooose

rolleyes

#128053 - 11/28/01 02:53 PM Re: snagging question
Float Fishin Fool Offline
Alevin

In my expierence it is pretty easy to tell whether a fish is snagged of not. Snagging a fish in the head is just as bad as snagging one in the tail. Bottom line is if the fish doesn't bite your bait then it is snagged. I've seen many fish hooked at the bottom of the jaw, with the hook clearly outside the fishes mouth. How can you say that is was biting? Was it biting on the line? As far as I'm concerned, lining a fish is just another way of snagging!

#128054 - 11/28/01 03:19 PM Re: snagging question
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Well how about this instance that happened to james about 2 years back. While driftfishing for steelhead james gets a bite sets to hook and lands the steelhead. When it took the bait it went through the mouth, through the gills and then had it snagged in the side. So basically when it tried to swallow the bait it got filtered right out of it's gills.

Snagged or not is the question, keeper or not a keeper??
Keith laugh

#128055 - 11/28/01 04:03 PM Re: snagging question
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR

Let the beatings continue.

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Dave Jackson ]

#128056 - 11/28/01 04:40 PM Re: snagging question
Anonymous
Unregistered

ROFLAMO! Good one Jackson. I doubt any debate here will decide for any individual angler whether they keep a flossed fish or not. They are going to do what they will, regardless.

Hey James, how in the heck could a top gun angler like you allow a fish to swallow your bait and not feel it or set the hook until it's back out the gill plate and in it's side? laugh Keith kinda set ya up for some ribbing on that fluke.

#128057 - 11/28/01 05:07 PM Re: snagging question
nikkomutt Offline
Fry

Loc: Oregon
SNAGGING: well a lot of people do it gear guys and fly guys...if the hook is in the mouth then its legal. i fish both..
to me, the best thing about fishing is the "GRAB" hands down. after that whatever happens, happens.
I ran into a lot of backwood guys last springer season that all got $299 merit awards for, you guessed it SNAGGING.
It's not worth it...i like my gear and my rig too much to mess with that stuff

#128058 - 11/28/01 05:43 PM Re: snagging question
Kunan Offline
Parr

Loc: Spanaway
Last summer I fished Blue Creek for the first time. One of the first things I noticed was everyone was fishing these rediculously long leaders that were like 6 to 10 feet long. much longer than my standard 3 to 4 foot leaders. my first thought was "these fish must be really spooky". I also noticed that thoes with the long leaders were the ones catching the fish. So I put on a 8 foot leader and eventually I caught a fish. After that first trip was when the "flossing on the Skok" threads began popping up. I saw quotes like "any leader longer than 4' is flossing not fishing" and " any leader longer than 3' should be illegal" and "with a 10'leader you wouldn't feel a bite anyway". I couldn't believe everyone that was fishing Blue Creek was intentionally flossing. In retrospect, I couldn't be certain but I'm pretty sure I hooked my fish inside the mouth. I should hope I would notice something strange if the hook was outside the mouth pointing in. Anyway, to be sure I wasn't indeed flossing I decided to investigate further. I went back to Blue Creek and decided to play the "eager netter". I netted 9 fish and all were hooked inside the mouth. With this I felt confident that long leaders fished from the bank did not = flossing. Are some fish flossed? I'm sure, but none that I saw. I cant explain why such long leaders are so successful at Blue Creek. But I don't think flossing is the answer.

Mike

#128059 - 11/28/01 06:06 PM Re: snagging question
nikkomutt Offline
Fry

Loc: Oregon
Kunan I've seen many river with guys using long leaders like the Lewis, Kalama, Satsop etc. my theory is that the fish open and close their mouths constantly and with a long leader it greatly improves the chances of the line pass by the fishes open mouth and when you set the hook the drag of the water causes the hook to go into their mouth.. There is a big difference on the feel of a grab with a 3-4' leader opposed to a 10-12' one.. Then longer one seems like a slight pull like your hung-up...
But thats just my opinion

#128060 - 11/28/01 08:19 PM Re: snagging question
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

An interesting perspective on flossing can be researched on Canadian sites. It is a very heated debate just as it's becoming here. From what I've gathered it is an endless debate.................

FJ...out.

#128061 - 11/29/01 12:59 AM Re: snagging question
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
That pic DJ posted must be of a 4-legged emu?

#128062 - 11/29/01 01:01 AM Re: snagging question
Anonymous
Unregistered

i think RT came up with a way to get rid of snaggers, just throw a bucket of paint on them lmao

#128064 - 11/29/01 05:20 AM Re: snagging question
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

i guess the only way to make sure 100% you're not snagging is, dont go fishing...everyone has a strong personal opinion about this but its such a gray area...more an ethical question than anything else...i guess the debate will never end, now im actually kinda sorry i brought this topic up, it feels like im in a regular newsgroup, i bailed off the newsgroups long ago because of all the bickering when people turn a simple topic into a personal issue, we might as well be talking politics here, it would go over just as well.

consider this...

scenario #1 - you are drifting a corkie or whatever, and your lead bumps a rock in a funny way, seems like a fish pulling at it and makes you think "fish", so you set the hook. at that same moment a fish is swimming next to your bait and is uninterested in your offering but is so close that when you set the hook, the hook sweeps across and into the mouth, and you proceed to land the fish.

scenario #2 - you are drifting, a fish sees your corkie from across the river and beelines at it, the water is colored so you cant see the fish coming. it takes your corkie in it's mouth and turns to run, you feel the take and go to set the hook. a split second before you can set the hook, the fish opens its mouth to get a better grip on your bait and rolls around to head back where it was holding, wrapping the line around itself. on the hookset, the hook slips out of its mouth and down its body, hooking the fish in the belly. you then land this belly hooked fish.

without seeing what was going on under the water, how would you be able to tell with absolute certainty whether or not you had legally and honestly fooled the fish?

#128065 - 11/29/01 05:48 AM Re: snagging question
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Puyallup, WA
I recall a while back one of the more active posters on this board(don't remember who exactly) saying that they did indeed snag fish(reds I believe) on a river in Alaska.
They said that it was fine to do it up there because it's legal on that particular river and it doesn't hurt the population.
But they condemned anyone who did it down here because it is immoral and unethical.
My point is since when do laws have anything to do with morals and ethics???
I never could figure that one out.

#128066 - 11/29/01 06:39 AM Re: snagging question
AllThumz Offline
Fry

Loc: Albany, Oregon
Well, KSR, I think you might be over-analyzing. I speculate there are 2 types of fishermen: The legitimate angler, and the snagger. Snaggers don't care where a fish is hooked, the angler does.

To review scenario #1: Way to go! Could one even tell they actually hooked a second fish? Legally hooked, no problem.

#2: If you land a belly-hooked fish, the legitimate angler will immediately release the fish (since it's the law), but the snagger will be relieved it wasn't hooked in the tail.

I'm just trying to boil it down to a much simpler form.

I'm still relatively new to river fishing, but accidental snagging is something that a lot of fishermen will encounter, and the disposition of the fish (released or bonked) will separate the true fisherman from the lowlife, inbred, one-toothed snagger.

Anyway, that's my worthless nickel's worth smile

John

#128067 - 11/29/01 08:10 AM Re: snagging question
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Sinker, I am one of those BB members who routinely lines fish. I've never been to Alaska to do it though...... I've always done it right here in WA.Now, if you disagree with my tactics, well, that's your right and I certainly dont fault anyone who has moral issues when it comes to keeping a fish that has been lined. We all have our own little codes that each of us live by. That's OK. What I have a problem with is all of these Godd@mn hypocrites who would be the first people in line to slam me for simply being honest "Lining is snagging" "What a lowlife you are,Zozo" " If I ever see you line a fish, I'll turn you in"....... Then, right on the heels of that, they talk about how much they love to line reds up in AK...... Their justification? IT"S LEGAL!!!!! THERE ARE NO LAWS AGAINST IT!!!!!!!! Well boys, that doesn't cut it for me! Just because something is legal to do doesn't make it right. The Indians net the hell out of salmon and leave the carcasses to rot in the sun.... It must be OK, because its legal for them to do so. It's legal in the state of WA to have sex with and marry your 2nd cousin..... Is it OK to do just because its legal? Up until about five years ago, It was legal to produce child porn in Japan.... They finally made it against the law to produce it, but it's still perfectly legal to posess it.... WOW, It must be perfectly OK for a guy to go to Japan and get his rocks off be viewing depictions of adults and animals having sex with children......Hell, wouldn't all of you judgemental Hypocrites say so, after all, its legal. One more thing in closing and then I will end this post...... I have never, ever, in my entire life, kept or killed a native fish..... Even where it is legal to do so, because I have a moral conflict with it. The legality or illegality of the issue makes no difference to me. I don't like to kill something as majestic as a native Steelhead, so I dont do it. But at the same time, I dont get up on this BB and start slamming the people who do retain natives. Maybe its time for the lot of you people to re revalueate your standads and how quickly you decide to judge somebody

#128068 - 11/29/01 10:32 AM Re: snagging question
scottguides Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: elma
the definition of snagging on pg.13 of the sport fishing rules says attempting to take fish with a hook and line in such a way that the fish does not voluntarily take the hook(s) in its mouth.everyone who fishes has accidently snagged a fish in his outings at one time or another.when this happens just release the fish.one time this year i had a coho take a spinner and jump i could see the spinner in his mouth,after a brief battle i felt slack and then the fish was on again only in the side thus becoming a snagged fish which i released.stuff like this happens while fishing.what it boils down to is ethics which are standards of behavior or conduct which are considered to be morally right.everybody must make a personal judgement about whether his or her behavior is right or wrong.if a person believes that his actions are morally right then it is ethical for him to act this way.scott smile

#128069 - 11/29/01 10:47 AM Re: snagging question
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by sinker:
My point is since when do laws have anything to do with morals and ethics???

Silly rabbit! Most laws are based at least in part by what the communities moral standards are at the time. For example, snagging is illegal in Oregon and Washington specifically because it is deemed immoral and unsporting.

#128070 - 11/29/01 11:29 AM Re: snagging question
Dr Pepper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim, Washington
Zozo if you are lining fish then you might as well be using a 10/0 treble hook with lead wrapped around the shank (lower elwha indian style rolleyes ). The fish doesn't decide to go and take your lure. Lining is just a form of snagging.

~ Dr Pepper

http://www.steelheader.net

#128071 - 11/29/01 12:59 PM Re: snagging question
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Dr Pepper-

Don't waste your breath. He'll hit you with the hypothetical crap about the fish missing the bite yet you still hit him in the mouth anyway.

It's not worth the effort. Just do a search on his name in the forums and you will see what you are working with. There are better uses for O2 than this.

#128072 - 11/29/01 04:33 PM Re: snagging question
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Again dave Jackson, It's allright to disagree with me on just about anything you want. It is of small issue to me exactly what your viewpoints are. However, do not use the "H" word when addressing me.... Ever..... You may not agree with my tactics when it comes to fishing, but you are in no position whatsoever to question my honesty! Every post I've ever made on this BB has been nothing but honest. Therefore, I am not a hypocrite. Dont try to use the legality issue of the whole lining vs snagging thing either, because I have come out on several occasions and said that the legality of the issue at hand does not concern me. You can try to demonize me and others who think like me (I know I'm not the only one on this BB who lines fish) all you want. Call me unsporting, call me a bararian, call me a goober if you want. Go ahead and attack the issue anyway you want.... It's OK. But, if you ever question my honesty or forthrightness again, we will have a serious problem. I'm the only one here who has the right to throw out those kinds of accusations. mad

#128073 - 11/29/01 11:17 PM Re: snagging question
Anonymous
Unregistered

KSR nice reply and you've got "sand" to post it.
laugh But you really danced away from the content of my post which directly discussed your major points in your previous post? rolleyes Would really help to clarify things if you could do that? laugh I'm not talking about the flossin stuff...just the stuff that sounded like you wanted to find justification keeping obviously snagged fish. laugh

Gooose laugh

#128074 - 11/29/01 11:29 PM Re: snagging question
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
With regards to the long leaders, a friend of a friend, on a river that shall not be named, has figured out an approach for silvers that uses a very long leader (8 ft). He has been doing very well. I feel fairly sure that the technique is not flossing the fish, because the bait is almost always swallowed. Deeply.

So at least in this one case, there is an angler who is using a long leader very effectively, appropriately, and legally. Can't speak for the Blue Creek crowd, I never fish there.

#128075 - 11/30/01 04:11 AM Re: snagging question
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

i wasnt looking for justification at all, its just that i have never encountered snagging ever in the saltwater or lakes i have fished, it was never an issue and i had no concept of it. i started hearing about it this summer when i hit the river for the first time...seems like river fishermen can be very anal retentive about how you fish and what is right or wrong in their eyes...thats one thing ive learned from reading a lot of the posts on this board

#128076 - 11/30/01 12:10 PM Re: snagging question
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Slow down there, LittleZoZo, and read my post again. I used the word hypothetical , not hypocritical . Big different there.

Cmon ZoZo...in through the nose, out through the mouth...in through the nose, out through the mouth. You mess that up and you've got snot on your lip.

#128078 - 11/30/01 01:40 PM Re: snagging question
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

No, I cannot take that one. Didn't bonk it at all. It was more of a C&R (correct and reflect). Trust me, you'll know when I toss one in the burlap by the blood trail.

#128079 - 11/30/01 02:43 PM Re: snagging question
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Uhhhhh, He hehehehehe..... Uh ok Sorry about that Dave. My mistake. God I feel stupid

#128080 - 11/30/01 03:10 PM Re: snagging question
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
O.K. How about this one. Your fishing a 45 foot hole on a river that's full of silvers and chinook, you've beat the hell out of them with bait, spinners, plugs and you decide to explore a little. You put on a 2 oz. Nordic with a single siwash. You start jigging, with a soft jigging action (not the over the head, hit your @ss swing like snaggers) and you hook a fish in the mouth. So you try again and you hook the next one in the tail, well who know's if that fish was swiping at it or you just accidently snagged it. But, personally I grab the pliers and release it unharmed...

Most ignorant people that are watching will assume your snagging. They'll look at you funny, say wierd things but I think it's a matter of intent.. There's a guy on the lewis that just hates james and I and he says for the #'s of fish we catch we have to be snagging them. So, one day when we decided to do the nordic thing he came down with his video camera and started taping, saying he was going to send it to the game department. I think he's got the right idea but he should have gone upriver a quarter mile where the banks were lined with people (dropping the tip to the water and ripping over there head consistently, then high-fiving when they'd land a fish backwards). If you intend to snag then you should be ridiculed until the end. But if you intend to present an offering that fish will actually bite, and bite consistently then leave it alone.

As for flossing goes, what fun is that, be patient and get them to bite. Explore a little.
Keith laugh

#128081 - 11/30/01 03:45 PM Re: snagging question
Pitch Pocket Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Portland, OR
While you guys are congratulating yourselves for ridiculing another new poster, I'd like to offer a scenario where a hook outside the mouth but in the jaw is possible.

Before I started toothpicking my spinning drift bobber to the line to hold it in place, the little whirly gig would float up the line and the steelhead would take it. You set the hook and the hook is outside the mouth. Fish took the "bait" but is hooked outside the mouth. Fair hook? Absolutely. Aleviated by pinning your birdy drifter to the hook, but still a valid method for taking steelhead in its day.

I've also seen the video from Charlie White where the salmon crashes through the bait tail slapping the baitfish to stun it, then turns around and picks up the limpers. If he tailslaps a hook and gets buttoned, it is still a snag and the fish goes back, even though he intended to hurt it and then eat it. He never got to the eatin part.

Flame away.

#128082 - 11/30/01 07:12 PM Re: snagging question
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Pitch:

ZoZo has over 260 posts. He's not a new poster, and he certainly was not ridiculed. He was merely instructed to read the post again, and he had mistaken one word for another. I think that your tidy whitey's have migrated North again and are in danger of choking off your thought process.

Now, let's say that I'm a very popular ex-football player who has supplemented my income through bit parts in Leslie Nielsen movies and rental car commercials. Hypothetically , lets say that my cheating wife has moved out of the house and when I stop by her place to talk to her about some things I see that she's chilling with some waiter from the local diner. And let's say hypothetically again that I was digging under my fingernails with my 12" Bowie knife on the way over and neglect to put the knife away.

Now, it's dark outside and as she comes forward to greet me she forgets about the steps and falls forward onto the knife...eight times. Hearing the commotion her assho...er, guest comes outside and does the same thing...sixteen times. Since it wasn't my intent to kill them I should be cleared of all charges and allowed to play 36 holes a day, right?

You see my dear Pitch Pocket, it all comes down to INTENT. The only person who can 100%, without a shadow of a doubt, determine your intent in your actions is YOU. The rest of us (as well as the game officers) have to make a judgement call. Sometimes we're right, sometimes we're wrong.

If you are intending to floss the fish, then congratulations! You have discovered a way to turn a long, relaxing day of fishing into a couple quick swipes and out. Hopefully these patterns haven't carried over to other recreational activities that you and another might partake in.

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Dave Jackson ]

#128083 - 11/30/01 07:34 PM Re: snagging question
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Hey, Hey, Hey, The whole Hypocritical/Hypothetical thing was my fault. I failed to completely read what Dave Jackson was saying before I jumped all over him and got all offended..... He pointed out my mistake and as a result, I came away looking like an idiot. It wasn't his fault. As for snagging, lining, flossing, etc is concerned....... You guys have read enough of my posts to know the way I feel about the subject. Obviously, I am the minority when it comes to weather or not it's OK to floss fish. I should've just stayed out of this arguement right from the get go. Yeah, I line em. Yes, I know most of you guys dont like it. We have a difference of opinions and that's that. End of story. I certainly dont see the need for it to turn into some kind of a pissing match between the other members. Pitch Pocket: I dont know who you are, but Dave Jackson wasn't ridiculing me, he was pointing out a gross oversight on my part. Dave Jackson: Dont worry about it. I'm sorry I went off before I knew all the facts.

#128084 - 11/30/01 08:33 PM Re: snagging question
Pitch Pocket Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Portland, OR
Whoa there nelly, maybe a few too many pop's on a Friday night. I wasn't talking about ZoZo, you guys were putting a notch in your belt for the disection of KSR. Nice analogy DJ, do we need a psychoanalyst to check on you?

Wait a minute, I get it, it's an OJ reference. Very clever. Hold the psychoanalyst.

I agree with the intent thing 100%. However, if you're out to snag fish, you aren't actually fishing, you're snagging. You want meat on the table to feed your starving kids, or you aren't successful with the "true sportsman's" method of putting fish in your freezer and resort to any method. Although distasteful, illegal and immoral, I've seen worse.

If I put a birdie drifter on my line and a tuft of yarn on my hook hoping to legally hook a fish and he grabs the drifter spinning up the line instead of the yarn, am I lining? No, I don't think so. Did I legally catch a fish? Intent wise, yes. By the letter of the law? Maybe not according to some interpretations. But then, I roll a fat one and thumb my nose at the law, I run a stop light endangering god knows who and myself.

Where do you draw the line? Right where it hits you in the gut, that's where. If smoking dope is it, then call 911 when you see it. When running stoplights makes you see red. Make the call. If it is snagging fish, then bust em. It's a fine line between sticking your nose into some redneck with a gun's business and living your life. Am I my brothers keeper? You pick your battles. You can't fight them all.

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Pitch Pocket ]

#128085 - 11/30/01 09:03 PM Re: snagging question
Chuck Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I saw so many posts here, I thought I must have missed something. After reading some I realize I didnt miss anything. Incredibly tiresome thread guys!

#128086 - 12/01/01 03:02 AM Re: snagging question
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
I can see it now!!!!...the latest episode of MTV's Celebrity Deathmatch.
The Snagger vs. The Liner

Watch as DJ tries to take LZ out with his treble hooks and sparkplugs and and LZ tries to lasso DJ with his 10 ft leader and bore him death with hypocritical rhetoric!!

laugh

I must honestly say this is a thread I thought I would never see-the liner calling the snagger a poacher.

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: RPetzold ]

#128087 - 12/01/01 12:03 PM Re: snagging question
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

HA HA HA You're a funny one Sparky.... However, I'd like to go on record as saying that I never called, nor did I imply that Dave Jackson was a poacher or a snagger. Makes no difference to me at all what he does. And Far be it for me to sit here and try to judge someone who keeps a snagged fish or two

#128088 - 12/01/01 12:47 PM Re: snagging question
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Who said I use trebles? When I fish I'm either using jigs, drifting eggs, or drifting corkies and yarn on a 1/0 Siwash (yes, it catches fish legally).

Don't label someone unless you know what you are talking about.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, Excitable Bob), 390 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |