Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128872 - 12/01/01 03:35 AM Re: A confession
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
SkaGuy-
I must correct you though as you said this board was sounding board for the WSC. There are about 2700 registered members of this board and about 150 members of the WSC, many of whom, do not post on this board.

Yes, this board helped form the WSC but that was becasue this is the most read and used forum by PNW steelheaders and not because the majority of members on this board are WSC members-in fact that is the complete opposite. The so-called mudlsingers in these rant, rave and b*tch posts are rarely if at all WSC members!

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: RPetzold ]

#128873 - 12/01/01 03:53 AM Re: A confession
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Sorry to hear about the bad times... If you really need the fish feel free to email or stop by.

But this thread is a little to much for me.
Keith

#128875 - 12/01/01 04:21 AM Re: A confession
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
I must say I am a little confused confused ...I agree with the fact that family comes first but I guess what I dont understand is that there are other ways to feed a family....My father has always had a decent paying job as well as I but I have heard stories from when he moved here from canada!!!When things were a whole lot different from now..Back in the 30's and 40's there wasn't any food banks like now...I'm not tryin to get on your case Dave but I believe there is other options..

If you need it I have venison and elk meat and any type of fish you desire in my freezer!!! If you need it just tell me where you live and I will more then gladly drop it by your house...

There are lots of ways besides poaching that you can feed your family and I'm sure that most people on this board will give you fish, deer or elk if you need it!!!

If not then I agree feed your family!!!

EMAIL me if you need help-TMBRCUTR@CS.COM

#128876 - 12/01/01 05:18 AM Re: A confession
bentpole Offline
Juvenille at Sea

you are tring way to hard to convince people of your situation and how you justify it.
I to came from apoverty stricken home but instead of going out and doing something illegal my parents (both)worked two jobs to feed there family.
I can admit I do very well now for myself and my family but speaking from past expierences your B.S'n the wrong group.
You took your lumps now end the post
I will not however hold the past against you and hope fellow posters will not either.
do right by your family and set a good example for your kids earn the hard way not the wrong way

#128877 - 12/01/01 07:56 AM Re: A confession
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
About six years ago,a now retired game warden friend of mine,was out patrolling out around Dewwatto.I guess he pulled into the Port campground just in time to see a guy toss what looked like a Sea gull into his trunk.Of course he went over and asked the guy what was going on.As if there was nothing wrong the guy said he was hunting.My buddy said you could immediatly tell he wasn't from here.Also said that there was I think like 4 kids running around,none too clean or well dressed.so my buddy asked to see what he was hunting and sure enough it was the sea gulls.The guy gave the same sob story as dave, he was feeding his family,he had just moved here etc.My buddy was actually a pretty cool guy if you were honest with him,and were'nt selling gall bladders to the japs,so he let the guy know what he needed ,protected,hunting license, etc then let him go,with the sea gulls.My buddy had to ask though what a sea gull tasted like.What the guy answer,kinda a cross between bald eagle and spotted owl. I don't have a family,just my wife me and two dogs.I have seen people out snagging fish with the intention of lighting the load on the kitchen table.whatever.They are also not the ones down at the hole bragging about their fishing prowess.I was out a job once though and found myself living in my truck.Instead of living on the streets I went and lived in the woods on a secret beaver pond.I poached quite a bit in those 4-5 months.I think I stayed a alot longer because I liked it though.Broke the law,don't feel bad,will only apologize to my maker,as sincerly as I can.You I don't think that it is snagging, linning, flossing, whatever,It's the attitude that it is done with.When it is done with greed and selfrightousness then I get pissed.Now I catch you feeding your family on one of my favorite steelhead streams and you will find out why up north they call me griz laugh

#128878 - 12/01/01 10:38 AM Re: A confession
Pitch Pocket Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Portland, OR
Dave, You make $35k and have tax problems with the wife working? I doubt it. Get another accountant.

#128879 - 12/01/01 12:43 PM Re: A confession
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
I will not go into my situation further, as it is getting way too private for me. Suffice it to say we're in a house we couldn't sell for what we owe and our payment is more than one of my two paychecks per month. Add to that a car payment, utilities, and food...there isn't much room for luxury.

I will say it again. I have only gone fishing 5 times this year, with the last two being carpool trips that cost me next to nothing. I would fish more often if I could afford it, but I cannot so I don't.

Thank you for the offers of charity, but this was not why I put my story up here last night. It was written to show that for some it comes down to food, and if while egg drifting I accidentally snag a fish I will have a hard time letting it go. Bears don't worry if the shot is forward of the gillplate. Neither do eagles.

I only hope that those of you who condemn so strongly never find yourself in a similar position.

There are no hard feelings here.

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Dave Jackson ]
Get Bent Tackle wh&#333;re. Just added spinner section, where you can special order to your hearts content!

#128880 - 12/01/01 02:35 PM Re: A confession
Chuck Offline
Juvenille at Sea

There are alot of people hurtin out here and alot more will be hurtin. Every guy out there breakin the law to make it is a slap in the face for us guys eatin 3 for a buck cup of noodles and rice. I guess out in the sticks like Millwakee you cant just wash windows or go around and sweep someone's lot to make a few bucks.
There has to be anti poachin laws otherwise like was said here-our rivers would be fished to extinction. I guess you hit the next closest river at that point. Maybe there is a farmer's field on the way, stop and get some apples or what not. Hell, take the kids, have them help. Cuz my 35k a year aint makin my new car payment or my internet bill.
Sorry from someone who's Dad worked at 7-11 and whose mother worked 30 years, kinda pisses me off.And yes I will be bummed if it happens to me, but if I go fishin with my dad and foul hook one, he will be sayin "I hope it lives"

#128881 - 12/01/01 05:18 PM Re: A confession
schwing man Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: WA
i know i am to new here, and maybe should not interfere and just mind my own business. i think this an important topic so i will tell you what i think. i have accidently hooked into fish before. i do not keep them as i dont have to feed a family and i am only fishing for fun. i go out fishing becuase i like being outside.

i think maybe some people have higher morals than other people. i would not say dave is a bad person or not a very moral person. i just think he does not really ask himself if this is the right thing to do to keep a snagged fish when he catches it. i think there are lots of people that do this and it is a reflection on how our society has been changing. its like they think they deserve something even if they did not get it the right way. i dont know anyone who does not want more than they have. dont we all? i know some guys that steal stuff sometimes because they cant find enough work and i wont have anything to do with them because i thnk they could get by without resorting to stealing. if i find out they have done someting again, i will turn them in too.

i sure dont understand though why dave wrote it on here what he did. is it just so you all will get in a argument? or does he really feel deep down he did wrong and wants you all to help him change? it sounds like most of you know some of the others. i dont know maybe there is a group here that think this is ok and they all fish together or something?

so dave i think next time you go fishing, ask yourself if you really need to keep that fish and wouldnt you feel better about yourself if you let it go?

#128882 - 12/01/01 07:03 PM Re: A confession
Pitch Pocket Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Portland, OR

#128883 - 12/01/01 07:10 PM Re: A confession
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Dave,

I too am truly sorry about your plight. The impression I get about you from reading your posts here, and the other board is that you are a very intelligent guy. I hope you haven't resigned yourself to that 35k govt. job permanently. Through my experience in the employment world, I've learned that if you look hard enough, there is always opportunity for someone with a good head on their shoulders. Don't give up the fight. Good things come to good people. smile

#128884 - 12/01/01 07:54 PM Re: A confession
PGA Offline
Fry

Loc: Issaquah
If you have the money for your computer and access to the internet, the "food" argument is just BS. I my view, just don't call yourself a fisherman, Fool might fit better.

#128885 - 12/01/01 07:56 PM Re: A confession
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think Pitch Pocket is right and now I'm wondering the motivation behind this thread in the first place.

#128886 - 12/01/01 08:46 PM Re: A confession
rcl187 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Sedro-Woolley, Wa
$35,000 a year doesn't seem to bad to me. Myself and alot of the people who lived in the upper skagit region grew up on alot less than that and still managed to survive. If you needed to get meat for the family 5 fishing trips doesn't seem like it provides much. Most people try harder than that.
The best thing you can do after getting out of a rough situation is to give something back to the things that helped you out. clean up the river, plant a tree... do something that will help out future generations incase they have to do the same thing.
One more thing: plunking is usually more productive than snagging if the fish are spread out and you won't spend as much money (rarely should you lose anything) and most importantly its legal. A ticket for snagging takes more food from the table than the fish will ever provide.
take off your pants and jacket

#128887 - 12/01/01 10:59 PM Re: A confession
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Let me assure you that the personna that I have presented on this board is my own and it is not ficticious in any way. My post last night is my life. Heck, I'm one of the few here using my own real name so if that isn't standing up to the plate than I'm not sure what is.

Don't question my motives, and quit trying to read between the lines. There is nothing ulterior to my posts. I am only presenting my beliefs and my reasoning. What I have learned from this is the only thing that separates myself the "snagger" from others more "righteous" is that when I land a fish that has been unintentionally foul hooked I keep it.

Sadly, there are some here who now have branded me "morally-corrupt" without really knowing me, and that is fine. I wouldn't care to hang out with someone so quick to judge, anyway, Those whom I have spent fishing time with know me for who I am.

When I'm fishing I give more to the environment than I take. I was at the Wind River cleanup...as were a few dedicated others. We missed the best fishing by a couple weeks, and because of that we had fewer attendees. Yet I still drove the distance to clean a place that needed it. And ask those who were there how much trash I came out of that canyon dragging. Do some searches over at iFish under fobbman and find my posts about bank fishing with a trash bag in tow to clean up where I fished.

I'm very real. And I'm not the only one in this position. I may be one of the only ones to throw myself to the wolves in hopes that a few are inspired to think.
Get Bent Tackle wh&#333;re. Just added spinner section, where you can special order to your hearts content!

#128888 - 12/01/01 11:59 PM Re: A confession
Fishbait Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Rivers of OR and SW WA.
As my final parting words, I would like to say that I condem you for one reason and admire you for two reasons

#128889 - 12/02/01 01:03 AM Re: A confession
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Thank you. Your ballot has been received and your tally will be added to the total.

#128890 - 12/02/01 01:07 AM Re: A confession
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Puyallup, WA
DJ, I wouldn't want to hang out with most of these holier than thou, hypocritical fisherman either.
If times were tight around here (which they may be real soon if the aerospace industry doesn't pick up a whole bunch) and the river down the road had a whole bunch of salmon in it. I know where I'd be.
Everyone on here assumes you need a real spendy rod and reel to go fishing. Go to most of the meat hole rivers and see what kind of tackle alot of guys are using.
Doesn't cost much to fish a local river with old tackle.

We have one child. I work nights and the wife works days. Kid goes to grandmas for a little while during our overlap of work schedules and daddy goes through life very tired.
If we had the kid in daycare by the time we bought the 2nd car for the wife to get there, we'd be breaking even on her job.
Things aren't good out there and are gonna get worse before they get better.

You should feel lucky you found a gov't job. Right after Bush moved into office he put a hiring and pay freeze into effect. eek

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: sinker ]

#128891 - 12/02/01 02:12 AM Re: A confession
Anonymous
Unregistered

This has turned into a real wierd thread eek . I'm just wondering if one or more members are fishing for hypocrites? rolleyes If it's a real situation then I've posted my opinion. Anyone who's beenhere a whle knows my opinion on snaggers. I have my personal beliefs on these issues but I sure don't practice or believe in orthodoxical dogmas like many of these posters. Bust on me too if you want...but guys some of your ideals are almost religious in their fervor and zeal. Sorry but that's part of the sportfishermans problem in getting things done. World's not black and white. Learn to understand and stand in someone else's shoes before you label them. So bust on me if you want...guess it's my turn anyway? Just my 5 cents worth.

gooose rolleyes

#128892 - 12/02/01 10:27 AM Re: A confession
Grnhead99353 Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: West Richland
I was going to post my thoughts, but Sinker beat me to it. I will anyways. There is some great info on this board, but way too many egos, gear showoffs, cliques, pc hypocrites, and people that kiss a** to feel accepted. If DJ needs to take a foul hooked fish home to his family because of financial shortfalls, so what. I'm sure he has paid his dues in years of purchasing licenses. At least he has the balls to open up and tell it like it is. It could be a heck of a lot worse. He could be out stealing the kickers off your boats.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 392 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |